SOMEBODY PLEASE CHOOSE FOR ME!!! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

SOMEBODY PLEASE CHOOSE FOR ME!!!

Notre Dame (45k scholarship)
65%
WUSTL (24k scholarship)
20%
GW (sticker)
15%

Total votes: 161

ArtVandelay

Bronze

SOMEBODY PLEASE CHOOSE FOR ME!!!

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm stuck between Notre Dame, WUSTL, and GW.

- Money is not really an issue, but I got a 45k scholarship from ND and 24k at WUSTL
- I want a portable degree because I'm not sure where I'd like to practice
- I'd like to get some experience in BigLaw but eventually move in-house or to the business side
- I'd prefer to be in a city, but career prospects are more important

Thanks for the help!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: SOMEBODY PLEASE CHOOSE FOR ME!!!

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:35 pm

I'll do it.

Notre Dame

/thread.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Notre Dame. Unless infidel, then GW.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:46 pm

holydonkey wrote:Notre Dame. Unless infidel, then GW.
Thanks for the help, guys. The Catholic thing doesn't really bother me. I'm not really religious, but they don't seem to shove it down your throat there.

I went to ASD at all three schools. Pretty basic stuff, though I enjoyed them. I'm just not sure how to separate the three at this point.

Would you all choose the same if the money was equal?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:52 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
Thanks for the help, guys. The Catholic thing doesn't really bother me. I'm not really religious, but they don't seem to shove it down your throat there.

I went to ASD at all three schools. Pretty basic stuff, though I enjoyed them. I'm just not sure how to separate the three at this point.

If you were set on the DC market, I'd say GW, but if you're mobile, Notre Dame is probably still the better choice. Also, even if the money's equal, the money's not equal. :wink: Notre Dame COA is much lower.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:59 pm

holydonkey wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:

If you were set on the DC market, I'd say GW, but if you're mobile, Notre Dame is probably still the better choice. Also, even if the money's equal, the money's not equal. :wink: Notre Dame COA is much lower.
I hear ya, but I was lucky to do well for myself out of college; short-term costs really are not an issue. I'm more interested in long-term earning potential.

And I would definitely enjoy being in DC, but I don't want to pigeonhole myself there.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:06 pm

I am facing a similar decision without gw and at about half the scholarship. It seems like notre dame is the best option but I am having a hell of a time convincing my self that I can survive south bend for three years.

ENGINEERD

Bronze

Post by ENGINEERD » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:07 pm

I am facing a similar decision without gw and at about half the scholarship. It seems like notre dame is the best option but I am having a hell of a time convincing my self that I can survive south bend for three years.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:09 pm

ENGINEERD wrote:I am facing a similar decision without gw and at about half the scholarship. It seems like notre dame is the best option but I am having a hell of a time convincing my self that I can survive south bend for three years.
Location is definitely the biggest drawback for Notre Dame. I drove around a bit while I was there and there is NOTHING outside of campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:11 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
ENGINEERD wrote:I am facing a similar decision without gw and at about half the scholarship. It seems like notre dame is the best option but I am having a hell of a time convincing my self that I can survive south bend for three years.
Location is definitely the biggest drawback for Notre Dame. I drove around a bit while I was there and there is NOTHING outside of campus.
Sounds like you want GW, if this is the case, you should go there.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:16 pm

holydonkey wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:
Sounds like you want GW, if this is the case, you should go there.
This is really where I'm torn. I love GW's location, but I love the portability of a Notre Dame degree. Over the course of the next three years, I would probably enjoy GW more, but I feel that Notre Dame would provide better long-term options.

dan55v

New

Post by dan55v » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:24 pm

The cost of GW is insane, if I was you I'd take Notre Dame's money and run

OneSixtySix

Bronze

Post by OneSixtySix » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:49 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:
Thing is, for law school your probably going to be relegated to going out once a weeknight for legit drinking, and football weekends/sports in general will do a good job satisfying that quotient. Also, There are actually a few decent bars in south bend, its just a matter of finding them.

For what its worth, I'm considering BU and ND and location has zero negative on ND...in fact the general campus community factor was decidedly ND.

However the total cost of attendance at BU would be much lower for me than ND, something I have thusfar been unable to justify. However, in your situation...I think the decision is easy...ND all the way. I would not be surprised if ND cracked the T20 in a few years with the new building and dean. Also, #19 vs #22 is not a legitimate difference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goingtolawschool

New

Post by goingtolawschool » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:10 am

There should really be a rule in this forum against a user posting the exact same poll/thread multiple times. Flip a coin and make a deposit already!

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:09 pm

dan55v wrote:The cost of GW is insane, if I was you I'd take Notre Dame's money and run
I figured out that factoring in scholarship & COL, GW would be ~$80,000 more over 3 years. That's more than I spent total in 4 years of college. A number like that is hard to justify unless GW has a significant edge, which--as far as I can tell--it doesn't.

vanstone22

Bronze

Post by vanstone22 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 pm

ArtVandelay wrote:

I hear this statement quite often.
What are you looking for?
I s/w undergrads and law students and they said there was a good amount of house parties, bars for each night of the week, intramural sports, places to eat, golf courses, basketball courts, gyms, and venues for events.
I still am having trouble understanding exactly what people want in a law school city. I live in LA currently, some would call it a big city with plenty to do. I'm aware of South Bend's short comings; a lack of an ocean, art museum(they do have a car museum or two), huge shopping malls, bottle service "VIP" clubs, heavily congested traffic, poor air quality, earthquakes, a general disconnect between millions of people, and a high cost of living.
I think I can do without these big city perks for a few years.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:34 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:38 pm

vanstone22 wrote:
ArtVandelay wrote:

I hear this statement quite often.
What are you looking for?
I s/w undergrads and law students and they said there was a good amount of house parties, bars for each night of the week, intramural sports, places to eat, golf courses, basketball courts, gyms, and venues for events.
I still am having trouble understanding exactly what people want in a law school city. I live in LA currently, some would call it a big city with plenty to do. I'm aware of South Bend's short comings; a lack of an ocean, art museum(they do have a car museum or two), huge shopping malls, bottle service "VIP" clubs, heavily congested traffic, poor air quality, earthquakes, a general disconnect between millions of people, and a high cost of living.
I think I can do without these big city perks for a few years.
I have to agree... South Bend does have a little bit of everything... I was really impressed. Plus, Chicago - one of my favorite cities in the country - is a short train ride away (and the train is cheap).

stalls

New

Post by stalls » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 pm

if money is literally not an issue, and you like DC, i wouldn't worry about GW's portability it'll do you just fine.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:45 pm

stalls wrote:if money is literally not an issue, and you like DC, i wouldn't worry about GW's portability it'll do you just fine.
From everything I can gather, GWU's portability is not as poor as its made out to be on these forums. The lack of national representation seems to be far more a factor of self selection in DC rather than an inability to escape DC.

With that said, going from GWU to Cali or Florida isn't gonna happen. But reach within reason seems possible.

mardimar

New

Post by mardimar » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UFMatt

Bronze

Post by UFMatt » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:51 pm

I understand where you are coming from. I had identical $$ offers from ND and Emory and ended up narrowly choosing Emory due to the location (e.g. presence of law firms in town, airport, more to do, etc.). Just be honest with yourself. Would you be happy in South Bend? If yes, then take the $$ and run. If not, consider whether you could tolerate the debt associated with DC.

I would be wary of portability claims. ND grads may go all over the US, but they also tend to be drawn from all over the US. GW grads may tend to remain in DC, but DC is a hot legal market. Both are great schools.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:55 pm

How bout growin a pair and making the choice yourself?

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:59 pm

I hate Notre Dame...but if it was me: Notre Dame

thebookcollector

Bronze

Post by thebookcollector » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:04 pm

MTal wrote:How bout growin a pair and making the choice yourself?
Wow... what a dick.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”