What do people on this site have against Duke? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fwaam

Bronze

What do people on this site have against Duke?

Post by fwaam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:36 pm

So I'm seriously considering going to Duke, but I'm a little concerned that so many people seem to think so poorly of the school. (Only a little--I haven't met anyone in real life who shares these views.) Is it just that most people on this site think poorly of the South in general and prefer big cities to places like Durham, and thus aren't personally attracted to it? Is it because of the douchey reputation of the undergrads? I quite liked the school when I visited, and haven't heard any actual reason for this prejudice, just sort of a general antipathy.... so, someone please enlighten me!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Re: What do people on this site have against Duke?

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Tucker Max.

And this.

DVZfan

New

Post by DVZfan » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 pm

Duke is a great law school don't let the people here phase you ... unless you have a better relative option!

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm

+1

I visited Duke to rule it out and thought it was by far the best law school I've ever visited (I've been to about 10 law schools, FWIW). Don't really understand the Duke hate on here, but that's alright.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:38 pm

Finally someone creates a thread about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

soullesswonder

Silver

Post by soullesswonder » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 pm

The Duke hate here was probably worse in the last cycle. And the douchebaggery of the UG (which the law students readily acknowledge) cannot be underestimated as a factor in shaping perceptions.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:43 pm

DVZfan wrote:Duke is a great law school don't let the people here phase you ... unless you have a better relative option!
+1
excellent rank
excellent basketball

And if you want to work anywhere in south/southeast, then excellent location.

If you like it, go for it man, I'd pick it over michigan/uva/georgetown and a lot of the t14

fwaam

Bronze

Post by fwaam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:16 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:Tucker Max.

And this.
So I clicked that link, and found a helpful explanation for why people hate Duke:

"duke should take this crown. while 100% of duke law students r douches for going down to that sh*thole durham based solely on the mistaken belief that duke is an impressive law school, only 75% of harvard law students r douches, comprised of those people who got in through the crapshoot that is the application process and suddenly think they r smart. while harvard has like 600 students, so technically more douches, duke is thoroughly douche. in my eyes, that is more important."

.... I'm just gonna let that speak for itself.

From the sound of it, no real reason for me to avoid Duke thus far.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:07 pm

fwaam wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:Tucker Max.

And this.
So I clicked that link, and found a helpful explanation for why people hate Duke:

"duke should take this crown. while 100% of duke law students r douches for going down to that sh*thole durham based solely on the mistaken belief that duke is an impressive law school, only 75% of harvard law students r douches, comprised of those people who got in through the crapshoot that is the application process and suddenly think they r smart. while harvard has like 600 students, so technically more douches, duke is thoroughly douche. in my eyes, that is more important."

Looks like a tard's tautology. "HAY GUYS DOOK SUX BCUZ STOODENTS WHO GO THERE R DUM FOR GOING TO A SKOOL THAT SUX. MY ARGUMENT IS SO TIGHT OMG."

Also, I think that there aren't many current Duke students on TLS because they're too busy enjoying life and participating in the interesting and multiple talks, seminars, and events that happen in the law school on a daily basis.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:14 pm

fwaam wrote:So I clicked that link, and found a helpful explanation for why people hate Duke:

Haha. Yeah. I'm just busting your balls (I think there was a session on anti-Duke trolling at my UVA ASW), and although I was going to add a disclaimer about the cyclical nature of the logic "why do people hate duke > bc people hate duke", I decided to let it ride. :D

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:26 pm

this site is overrun with UVA trolls; thats most of it.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:40 pm

Why I hate Duke:

--ImageRemoved--

And also because I got:

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 pm

It's more like what 99% of people in the country have against Duke. Especially after they beat the little guy (Butler).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 pm

They never really recovered from the rape thing.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Some guy in Duke's viewbook this year had a popped collar :o . Anyone remember that? Now, if you looked closely at him, you could see that he was posing for the camera, but you had to be really attentive. This kind of thing confirms the rep.

fwaam

Bronze

Post by fwaam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:38 pm

Kohinoor wrote:They never really recovered from the rape thing.
I think that has something to do with it.... and even when it turned out it wasn't true, everybody remembered how obscenely rich those kids were, which can't have helped.

(Of course, the sad truth is that sexual assault is a huge problem on virtually all campuses, and universities as a whole are far too lenient toward it. Even though those guys didn't rape that girl, I'm sure other guys raped other girls, but that's hardly a problem that's confined to Duke. I wish that whole scandal had touched off a conversation about this rather than about race relations in Durham; it might have been far more productive.)

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:28 am

Duke sucks.

The reasons? 1) First, it's in the south. The south sucks. 2) The Blue Devils? If I have to explain that one, I don't want to explain that one. 3)The really undeserved sense of superiority that it breeds, primarily through mediocre basketball play (UCLA may have, for me, created unrealistic expectations). 4) The undeserved sense of superiority, as well as it being in the South, as well as it being populated primary by white kids failing hard at looking Abercrombie (did I not list this one?) makes me automatically assume it's population is the kind of racist that only occasionally gets out of control. 5) The feeling that Duke students all feel like they've been locked into some magic carpet ride into a future ruled by their (and therefore selectively white) peers. Or, at least a South, which circles back to reason number one.

Really, though, I wish I could get a legal education from an institute as widely respected as Duke. As long as it isn't actually Duke.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:30 am

romothesavior wrote:Why I hate Duke:

sigh. this is why i love duke.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:33 am

You know, I really really really hat Duke. I hate white point guard X and his "hustle" that gets praised all the time. I hate that their fans consider themselves better at watching basketball than other people. I hate that they think their little crappy gym is so much better than a nice place to watch a game, but most importantly I hate the elitism and sense of entitlement.

I think its for that reason that I dont mind the Law School. Everyone hates on it so much that its almost a normal guy

woeisme

Silver

Post by woeisme » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:34 am

fwaam wrote:So I'm seriously considering going to Duke, but I'm a little concerned that so many people seem to think so poorly of the school. (Only a little--I haven't met anyone in real life who shares these views.) Is it just that most people on this site think poorly of the South in general and prefer big cities to places like Durham, and thus aren't personally attracted to it? Is it because of the douchey reputation of the undergrads? I quite liked the school when I visited, and haven't heard any actual reason for this prejudice, just sort of a general antipathy.... so, someone please enlighten me!
Eh, it's just not for everyone. Have you visited the other ones you're considering?

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:35 am

They're a TTT disguised as a T14.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:37 am

I don't hate Duke. I hate Dook.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:39 am

I never liked that guy prezidentv8's profile pic.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:48 am

-
Last edited by fortissimo on Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 am

I blame Alaa Abdelnaby.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”