Texas ($107k) v Duke ($60k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Texas V Duke

Texas ($107k)
53%
Duke ($60k)
47%

Total votes: 49

Jericwithers

Gold

Texas ($107k) v Duke ($60k)

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:58 am

I never thought I would make one of these threads, and I kind of doubt there is much I can gain from it lol.

The Texas scholarship amount is deducted from out of state tuition (even though I am instate).

I am from and current living in Texas. I really think I would like to work biglaw in Texas as my first choice, but I am open to places like Cali or DC if necessary. However, I also am interested in government work. If I do biglaw I think a clerkship would be the right way to go before going to a firm, but I know those are rare no matter what school. The scholarship at UT is nice, but I think the increased opportunities at Duke are worth it (47% v 62% chance of clerkships+biglaw). I love Texas football, but going here and living in Texas all my life I think I would live somewhere else and get a range of experience. I don't want to be that stereotypical Texan who has live here all his life.

Help? Thoughts?

fortissimo

Silver

Re: Texas ($107k) v Duke ($60k)

Post by fortissimo » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 am

Open to Cali or DC "if necessary." LOL. Just go to Texas.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 am

Cost differential is substantial enough to where you wouldn't be stupid for choosing UT. I think it depends on whether or not you really, really want to leave Austin for three years. Still, there's something to be said for diversifying your resume and getting a new experience (since you're a UT undergrad). There's not a wrong choice here, and for that much of a cost differential I might be inclined towards UT, especially if I were dead-set on practicing in Texas.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:39 pm

UT hands down

Applicant2010

Bronze

Post by Applicant2010 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:47 pm

I voted UT because you will save a ton of money, but Duke will give you a better shot at Texas Big Law. I think you could finish below median and still have good shot because 1) Duke has better placement 2) You have UT on your resume 3) Firms seem to want school diversity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jakeoooh

New

Post by jakeoooh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:51 pm

I voted Duke. Since you are from Texas, and went to Texas for UG, I think you would have sufficient ties to network your way into a position there if you so desired. I think that the chance to attend a different school, in a different part of the country, will be good for you. Obviously as you said clerkships are difficult to get, but going to Duke, doing a clerkship somewhere else, and then heading back to Texas to practice (if that's still where you want to end up) sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Maybe you'll fall in love with a different part of the country and decide you want to relocate there. If not, even though UT dominates Texas, I think you'll be much better off than a New Yorker who went to Duke Law and then decided to try to place into the state.

Rock Chalk

Silver

Post by Rock Chalk » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:58 pm

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Wed May 16, 2012 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:14 pm

jakeoooh wrote:I voted Duke. Since you are from Texas, and went to Texas for UG, I think you would have sufficient ties to network your way into a position there if you so desired. I think that the chance to attend a different school, in a different part of the country, will be good for you. Obviously as you said clerkships are difficult to get, but going to Duke, doing a clerkship somewhere else, and then heading back to Texas to practice (if that's still where you want to end up) sounds like a pretty good plan to me. Maybe you'll fall in love with a different part of the country and decide you want to relocate there. If not, even though UT dominates Texas, I think you'll be much better off than a New Yorker who went to Duke Law and then decided to try to place into the state.
This poster raises a great point. In talking to local firms where I am now they want T14 grads to have a demonstrable connection to the home market. In my case, my wife and I are both from the area, went to UG in the area, and are living here presently. All of these things seemed more than sufficient to comfort them about considering me for a job, even if they don't participate in Duke OCIs. They indicated that my OCI-ish opportunity or screening interview could take place more informally over Christmas break, which could be even more advantageous than waiting for 1L spring OCI (where they recruit from other regional schools).

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Lol @ 50/50 split. I guess I shouldn't be worried that this is a tough choice for me. You have all been very helpful, and I appreciate that.

The $45k difference is substantial, but only because @ UT I wouldn't have any GradPLUS loans and only $25k of unsubsidized stafford loans collecting interest while in school.

I know Duke has more options across the country, but I worry that the comment 'Duke would better for Texas biglaw' isn't true. I don't mind the idea of doing legwork to get jobs, but in the Texas market dominated by so many schools and schools like UT I don't know if firms would be as open to interview requests are firms are in your state of choice. I am sure the opportunities are the same, but the favor is for Duke if I can't land biglaw in Texas as there isn't anything else I would want to do in Texas (except maybe criminal justice--fry em!).

I have till Thursday at midnight, but it looks like I might drop $200 on the Texas deposit if only to give myself 2 more weeks to think about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:09 pm

Such a divided poll result. What is my margin of error?

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:15 pm

You know how I (and most of the Texas 2013 thread) feel. UT!

louboutin

Bronze

Post by louboutin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:48 pm

I was in this EXACT same position, except with a little more money from Duke. I also had the same worries - I've been in Texas for high school and undergrad and I thought I should leave and diversify. But I can't pass up graduating debt-free. I know people who graduated UT Law in '09 and have secured jobs outside of the state... like cali. I'm sure you have to do well to be able to do that in this economy, but I figure that is the same everywhere. But go where you feel happy as well. When I visited UT I really liked the feel of the school, and Austin for me will be at least a small change. I know a lot of people think the happy thing is bullshit but it is three years of your life... anyway fwiw I think UT's scholarship is great and I'm not passing it up

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks for the continuing input. To make matters even more confusing I was offered a job as a TA (I estimate it pays $7k a semester) at UT. Not sure if I would want to try to balance that much though. The poll keeps jumping between UT and Duke, no clear winner lol.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:58 am

So it seems Texas won the poll. Guess I'll go Duke then!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”