Hofstra w/ $30K or Cardozo Sticker need to know ASAP Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
261KPR

New

Hofstra w/ $30K or Cardozo Sticker need to know ASAP

Post by 261KPR » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:04 pm

I am not looking for a big law job, just something comfortable with good hours. Leaning towards family law or copyright, looking for a a job starting at around $70K. I am not sure if that is very realistic, but I do know of a couple people that graduated from Cardozo that got jobs with that kind of pay.

The $30k from Hofstra is based on being in the top 40% of class which I am confident I will be.

One major factor is that I live in NYC right now so the commute to Long Island would be rough. I know Cardozo is a better school but my question is is the $30K a year (over $100,000 total without interest) worth the longer commute and difference in pay if I were to go to Cardozo?

Please help as I need to give deposits sooon

261KPR

New

Re: Hofstra w/ $30K or Cardozo Sticker need to know ASAP

Post by 261KPR » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Its $30 K per year.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:10 pm

I would say that Dozo is a better choice than Hofstra.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 pm

261KPR wrote:I am not looking for a big law job, just something comfortable with good hours. Leaning towards family law or copyright, looking for a a job starting at around $70K. I am not sure if that is very realistic, but I do know of a couple people that graduated from Cardozo that got jobs with that kind of pay.

The $30k from Hofstra is based on being in the top 40% of class which I am confident I will be.

One major factor is that I live in NYC right now so the commute to Long Island would be rough. I know Cardozo is a better school but my question is is the $40K a year (over $120,000 total without interest) worth the longer commute and difference in pay if I were to go to Cardozo?

Please help as I need to give deposits sooon
Cardozo is way better in terms of job prospects, isn't it? Several times better? Tell them you want to go there but you got a 30k scholarship from Hofstra and is there anything you can do pretty please. I would almost always advise not going into debt but this is a pretty big jump. If you also already live in Manhattan and want to work there (I assume so given your school choice) you might actually want to consider Cardozo.

261KPR

New

Post by 261KPR » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:14 pm

I tried, I applied for the may program and they do not offer $$ to part time students. Is the difference in job placement that different?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

261KPR

New

Post by 261KPR » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:32 pm

Is it an easy call to go to Cardozo? I was actually leaning towards Hofstra...$120K of debt is a lot, but if the job placement is that much better then its very justified. I know there is no right answer and there are many factors that can change but would I be likely to get a job from Dozo that will pay more then $25K per year more then Hofstra?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:38 pm

Why are you so confident you're going to be top 40%? Also, there are (relatively speaking) not a lot of $70k/yr legal jobs out there. You're generally either making market at $160k/yr or something in the $35k-$65 range.

And I could never recommend Cardozo at full price. And since you're not interested in biglaw, i.e. paying off the debt from Cardozo would be about impossible, I would say Hostra out of the process of elimination?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 pm

Hofstra.

Wouldn't be able to sleep tonight knowing I recommended someone go to Cardozo at sticker.

stilltheoriginal

New

Post by stilltheoriginal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:04 am

Go to Hofstra and DO WELL.

If, academically, you can stay at the top of your game a Hofstra degree will take you to a very successful NYC career and you will be so thrilled to be living with minimal debt.

These forums can be so elitist. There are few jobs that a top 5%-top 10% finish at Hofstra can't get you in the city that Cardozo can.

It may be a regional school, but you are in the best region to the work in the country.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 am

stilltheoriginal wrote:These forums can be so elitist. There are few jobs that a top 5%-top 10% finish at Hofstra can't get you in the city that Cardozo can.
True, but isn't it a little "elitist" to expect top 5 or 10% anywhere?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:37 am

stilltheoriginal wrote:Go to Hofstra and DO WELL.

If, academically, you can stay at the top of your game a Hofstra degree will take you to a very successful NYC career and you will be so thrilled to be living with minimal debt.

These forums can be so elitist. There are few jobs that a top 5%-top 10% finish at Hofstra can't get you in the city that Cardozo can.

It may be a regional school, but you are in the best region to the work in the country.
It's a good thing nearly 70% of Hofstra grads are in the top 10% of the class. Oh, wait, they're not? And the vast majority never even get close to the very top, you seem to suggest? So should I not plan on being smarter/harder working than +90% of my class? You're saying I shouldn't? Never mind then.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”