Emory $ v SMU $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tinyone

Bronze

Emory $ v SMU $$

Post by tinyone » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:37 pm

I'm pretty sure I want SMU but why not get some feedback. I got rejected from UT, my top choice, and SMU is the only other school I applied to in Texas.

I am from Austin originally and would like to get back to Texas. I don't know much about Dallas but when I went to visit SMU I liked the people I met and the school.

I have a $18k/yr schoolly from Emory and $22k/yr from SMU. I thought I wanted to stay in Atlanta but the past few months I have changed my mind. I don't think Emory (also my undergrad, btw) Law has enough pull to get me back to Texas, so SMU is the better choice...rigiht? It's cheaper after all.

Thoughts?

tinyone

Bronze

Re: Emory $ v SMU $$

Post by tinyone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:50 am

Some feedack pleeeease!

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:53 am

If all you want to do is be in Texas, SMU is probably the right choice.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:53 am

In this situation if you know you want to be in Texas and SMU is cheaper, I think SMU is the correct decision.

Solerpower

New

Post by Solerpower » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:54 am

Its really an unanswerable question.

If you want to stay in Dallas, go to SMU.

If you want to stay in Atlanta or maybe have a little national reach, go to Emory.

Its a personal decision that really has no basic logical choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:54 am

yeah, i'd imagine SMU would probably place you better in Texas (more specifically, Dallas), but Emory would offer more portability throughout its region and also along the coast. If I were only choosing between these schools, I'd likely choose Emory. Then again, I am not dead set on any specific region and I like Atlanta (also an Emory alum here). Maybe your mind will change again, and if you end up not liking Dallas so much, SMU might limit your options.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 am

Yea I am worried I will get to SMU and not like Dallas. I liked SMU when I visited but that definitely doesn't mean I will like the city. But I mean, Texas has no income tax...haha. If I knew I could get a job in Texas w/ an Emory JD I would be sold on Emory but I don't know if that can happen.

Solerpower

New

Post by Solerpower » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:23 am

tinyone wrote:Yea I am worried I will get to SMU and not like Dallas. I liked SMU when I visited but that definitely doesn't mean I will like the city. But I mean, Texas has no income tax...haha. If I knew I could get a job in Texas w/ an Emory JD I would be sold on Emory but I don't know if that can happen.

If you want to go to Texas, SMU is probably you best bet considering you were rejected from UT

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:27 am

not sure if emory does this or not, but could you call the admissions office and have them put you in contact with Emory Law alums in that are in Texas? have a chat with them and hear what they have to say.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am

tinyone wrote:Yea I am worried I will get to SMU and not like Dallas. I liked SMU when I visited but that definitely doesn't mean I will like the city. But I mean, Texas has no income tax...haha. If I knew I could get a job in Texas w/ an Emory JD I would be sold on Emory but I don't know if that can happen.

I know several 2L's working in Dallas and Houston. As well as two 3L's who have clerkships in Texas. One on the 5th circuit and one on fed. dist.

It CAN be done. But not at median. All of the above did very well and on LR.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:34 am

See I would never wasnt to be in Houston. And if the Emory 2Ls are in Houston and Dallas I might as well go to SMU b/c I would end up in Dallas which seems like where Emory would place me also. So I might as well go somewhere cheaper if the end result would be the same.

I guess Emory would only be worth it if I was going to end up in the NE. I just feel weird choosing a school ranked 50 over a school ranked 20 but I guess the rankings arent everything.

rando

Silver

Post by rando » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:39 am

tinyone wrote:
I guess Emory would only be worth it if I was going to end up in the NE. I just feel weird choosing a school ranked 50 over a school ranked 20 but I guess the rankings arent everything.
Well, it would be worth it if you would work in Atlanta. But if you are stuck on Texas, then Emory won't do you any better than SMU.

ze2151

Bronze

Post by ze2151 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:40 am

are you connected in texas? is that where you're originally from? that could go a long way toward placement. a lot of people on this board seem to think that the school should "get you a job." they don't seem to think they should be asked or forced to do any legwork. i think, ite, no matter where you go you'll have to do a little legwork to get the job you want. i think you can be successful in tx coming out of smu or emory. the smart play for you is probably smu, but i'm going to emory so i'll suggest you go there.

for me, i picked the school that i liked the most. if you've visited both, i suggest you do the same.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 am

i had this exact same situation and I finally broke down and chose SMU...I've talked to partners at Baker Botts and Jackson Walker and they both said that I would be crazy to go to Emory in this situation. They said a greater amount of debt for a lesser job advantage would be ridiculous. So I sucked up my pride and realized the #20 school would not be the best bet for what I wanted to do. Hope this helps!

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:15 pm

@ze2151

Yes I am from Austin originally. I have visited both, Emory was my undergrad and I have helped out with a 3L class there that my boss teaches so I know the school pretty well. And I went to SMU last month for a weekened visit. Both are nice but I just felt more comfortable at SMU.

@ Bonnieblue

Thanks for your input, it helps to know I'm not the only one in this situation. I'm pretty sure I'll be at SMU in the Fall. Oh and btw you're my numbers twin haha.

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:16 pm

rando wrote:If all you want to do is be in Texas, SMU is probably the right choice.
See ya in the fall.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”