Iowa vs. Illinois ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which?

Iowa
25%
Illinois
75%

Total votes: 56

webbylu87

Silver

Iowa vs. Illinois ($)

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 am

I'm looking at public interest/service work, but this could change and I am certainly open to discovering a passion for biglaw/midlaw/anything else. I want to plan my debt intelligently and am considering the impact of IBR, loan forgiveness, and each school's LRAP should I go into public interest/service. With that said though, the best job prospects overall is probably the best way for me to make a decision as I haven't ruled out a more traditional legal career. I really am looking for access to some bigger legal markets and would love to end up in St. Louis but Chicago would be a good option as well. Money and job prospects (in location, strength, and variety) seem to be the biggest considerdations.

Financially it comes down to:
Iowa (in-state = $41/k year) vs Illinois (OOS with scholarship = $50k/year)

Thoughts?

(Tried this thread before, but it didn't really generate the sort of the discussion I had hoped for so I waited until it died out before I starting this thread. Sorry for the repeat.)
Last edited by webbylu87 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Re: Iowa vs. Illinois ($)

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:46 am

webbylu87 wrote:I'm looking at public interest/service work, but this could change and I am certainly open to discovering a passion for biglaw/midlaw/anything else. I want to plan my debt intelligently and am considering the impact of IBR, loan forgiveness, and each school's LRAP should I go into public interest/service. With that said though, the best job prospects overall is probably the best way for me to make a decision as I haven't ruled out a more traditional legal career. I really am looking for access to some bigger legal markets and would love to end up in St. Louis but Chicago would be a good option as well. Money and job prospects (in location, strength, and variety) seem to be the biggest considerdations.

Thoughts?

(Tried this thread before, but it didn't really generate the sort of the discussion I had hoped for so I waited until it died out before I starting this thread. Sorry for the repeat.)
I think this is an easy one. I was in the same situation but looking at a much bigger difference in cost. Full ride at Iowa vs 50% at Illinois. I ended up taking Illinois.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:I'm looking at public interest/service work, but this could change and I am certainly open to discovering a passion for biglaw/midlaw/anything else. I want to plan my debt intelligently and am considering the impact of IBR, loan forgiveness, and each school's LRAP should I go into public interest/service. With that said though, the best job prospects overall is probably the best way for me to make a decision as I haven't ruled out a more traditional legal career. I really am looking for access to some bigger legal markets and would love to end up in St. Louis but Chicago would be a good option as well. Money and job prospects (in location, strength, and variety) seem to be the biggest considerdations.

Thoughts?

I think this is an easy one. I was in the same situation but looking at a much bigger difference in cost. Full ride at Iowa vs 50% at Illinois. I ended up taking Illinois.
Really? Can I ask why you think it's such an easy choice?

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:08 am

I'm going to throw these out there just to see what people think.
http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/edu ... mtype=2954

VAULT'S TOP 25 LAW SCHOOL RANKINGS

Vault surveyed nearly 400 hiring partners, hiring committee members, associate interviewers and recruiting professionals across the country on which law schools best prepare their graduates to achieve in the firm environment. With 58% of law school graduates entering private practice, Vault's law school rankings fill an important gap with their unique emphasis on employability.

Vault surveyed only those people who directly assess the value of law school graduates in the real world once they enter the workforce- those individuals responsible for evaluating and hiring law school students. The respondents--who represent over 100 law firms-- were advised to consider the following factors in their rankings: research and writing skills; knowledge of legal doctrine; possession of other relevant knowledge (e.g., science for IP lawyers); and ability to manage a calendar and work with an assistant.

1 Stanford Law School
2 University of Michigan Law School
3 New York University School of Law
4 University of Virginia School of Law
5 University of Chicago Law School
6 Harvard Law School
7 Columbia Law School
8 UC Berkeley School of Law
9 Northwestern University School of Law
10 Yale Law School
11 Vanderbilt Law School
12 Duke University School of Law
13 Penn Law School
14 Maurer School of Law
15 Cornell Law School
16 University of Minnesota Law School
17 Georgetown University Law Center
18 UCLA School of Law
19 University of Iowa College of Law
20 George Washington University Law School
21 Boston University School of Law
22 University of Texas at Austin School of Law
23 University of North Carolina School of Law
24 Emory University School of Law
25 University of Wisconsin Law School
Stole this from another thread but I find it interesting that Iowa is 19th while Illinois isn't even within the top 25.

Also, take a look at:
Best law schools for Public Interest Law

To compile the rankings of Best Law Schools for Public Interest Law, The National Jurist used a scoring system based on a 100-point scale to assign point values to law schools in three equally weighted categories — student involvement, curriculum and financial factors. The categories reflected the same areas that Equal Justice Works recommends that students consider when investigating law schools. Information gathered from The E-Guide to Public Service at America's Law Schools: 2007-2008 Edition. The National Jurist listing was compiled independently by staff editors and did not reflect the views of Equal Justice Works.

1. Northeastern University School of Law
2. Loyola Law School in Los Angeles
3. Lewis and Clark College of Law
4. American University Washington College of Law
5. Stanford Law School
6. Mercer University School of Law
7. University of Maryland School of Law
8. University of Washington School of Law
9. University of North Carolina School of Law
10. City University of New York School of Law
11. Hofstra University School of Law
12. William Mitchell College of Law
13. University of Iowa College of Law
Not sure how much stock to put in this but Illinois is not listed in the top 75 National Jurist listed.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:18 am

webbylu87 wrote:I'm going to throw these out there just to see what people think.
http://www.vault.com/wps/portal/usa/edu ... mtype=2954

VAULT'S TOP 25 LAW SCHOOL RANKINGS

Vault surveyed nearly 400 hiring partners, hiring committee members, associate interviewers and recruiting professionals across the country on which law schools best prepare their graduates to achieve in the firm environment. With 58% of law school graduates entering private practice, Vault's law school rankings fill an important gap with their unique emphasis on employability.

Vault surveyed only those people who directly assess the value of law school graduates in the real world once they enter the workforce- those individuals responsible for evaluating and hiring law school students. The respondents--who represent over 100 law firms-- were advised to consider the following factors in their rankings: research and writing skills; knowledge of legal doctrine; possession of other relevant knowledge (e.g., science for IP lawyers); and ability to manage a calendar and work with an assistant.

1 Stanford Law School
2 University of Michigan Law School
3 New York University School of Law
4 University of Virginia School of Law
5 University of Chicago Law School
6 Harvard Law School
7 Columbia Law School
8 UC Berkeley School of Law
9 Northwestern University School of Law
10 Yale Law School
11 Vanderbilt Law School
12 Duke University School of Law
13 Penn Law School
14 Maurer School of Law
15 Cornell Law School
16 University of Minnesota Law School
17 Georgetown University Law Center
18 UCLA School of Law
19 University of Iowa College of Law
20 George Washington University Law School
21 Boston University School of Law
22 University of Texas at Austin School of Law
23 University of North Carolina School of Law
24 Emory University School of Law
25 University of Wisconsin Law School
Stole this from another thread but I find it interesting that Iowa is 19th while Illinois isn't even within the top 25.

Also, take a look at:
Best law schools for Public Interest Law

To compile the rankings of Best Law Schools for Public Interest Law, The National Jurist used a scoring system based on a 100-point scale to assign point values to law schools in three equally weighted categories — student involvement, curriculum and financial factors. The categories reflected the same areas that Equal Justice Works recommends that students consider when investigating law schools. Information gathered from The E-Guide to Public Service at America's Law Schools: 2007-2008 Edition. The National Jurist listing was compiled independently by staff editors and did not reflect the views of Equal Justice Works.

1. Northeastern University School of Law
2. Loyola Law School in Los Angeles
3. Lewis and Clark College of Law
4. American University Washington College of Law
5. Stanford Law School
6. Mercer University School of Law
7. University of Maryland School of Law
8. University of Washington School of Law
9. University of North Carolina School of Law
10. City University of New York School of Law
11. Hofstra University School of Law
12. William Mitchell College of Law
13. University of Iowa College of Law
Not sure how much stock to put in this but Illinois is not listed in the top 75 National Jurist listed.
You talked about BigLaw being a big factor in your decision. Here is the ranking that matters in that case then.
http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... oginloop=o

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:24 am

You talked about BigLaw being a big factor in your decision. Here is the ranking that matters in that case then.
Fair enough. It's not a huge factor to be fair. I don't see myself going into biglaw so I'm by no means looking to plan like that's the case. At this point I'm looking for best overall job prospects, public interest and otherwise. I'm open to discovering a love for anything but if I do traditional legal work it'd probably be of the midlaw variety.

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:33 am

webbylu87 wrote:
Fair enough. It's not a huge factor to be fair. I don't see myself going into biglaw so I'm by no means looking to plan like that's the case. At this point I'm looking for best overall job prospects, public interest and otherwise. I'm open to discovering a love for anything but if I do traditional legal work it'd probably be of the midlaw variety.
If you have friends at both schools, talk to them and visit. They are both great schools. It will come down to what you think is most important to you.

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:40 am

OP said they were more interested in PI/service work, not BigLaw (OP said s/he wanted access to larger markets, not larger firms).

In this case, I'd say Iowa. I think they have better reach throughout the midwest than Illinois has (especially when you start looking outside of Chicago--like St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc). With that said, Illinois would have an advantage in Chicago.

Overall, I really feel like they're comparable schools. Iowa will be a little cheaper for you, but not-so-much that it should really impact where you want to go. If you're really more interested in PI work, Iowa's developed a pretty solid program for PI. If you do decide you'd rather do BigLaw, Illinois has a slight advantage (though I'm not convinced that it's a significantly overpowering advantage--basically top 25% vs top 20%).

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:46 am

thepcv wrote:OP said they were more interested in PI/service work, not BigLaw (OP said s/he wanted access to larger markets, not larger firms).

In this case, I'd say Iowa. I think they have better reach throughout the midwest than Illinois has (especially when you start looking outside of Chicago--like St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc). With that said, Illinois would have an advantage in Chicago.

Overall, I really feel like they're comparable schools. Iowa will be a little cheaper for you, but not-so-much that it should really impact where you want to go. If you're really more interested in PI work, Iowa's developed a pretty solid program for PI. If you do decide you'd rather do BigLaw, Illinois has a slight advantage (though I'm not convinced that it's a significantly overpowering advantage--basically top 25% vs top 20%).
Here is what OP said(Money and job prospects (in location, strength, and variety) seem to be the biggest considerdations.
). I dont know that many people who will say that Iowa has the advantage here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:39 pm

thepcv wrote:OP said they were more interested in PI/service work, not BigLaw (OP said s/he wanted access to larger markets, not larger firms).

I'm not drawn to Chicago enough to pick Illinois solely because of that reason. I like Chicago and wouldn't mind ending up there but that's by no means my goal. At this point, I've decided that I'd like to focus on a move to St. Louis post-LS but of course, this may change.

I'd like a variety of career options, PI and otherwise, so that I can have the best chance at a good career no matter how my interests may change. As far as biglaw goes, I really don't think I'll develop an interest in biglaw as a career. I want quality of life and plan to eventually have a family which I would like to spend time with. This also play into my debt level. Quality of life and the ability to have some financial freedom is important to me. With that said, I am willing to sacrifice financially for better long-term career options.
itsmytime10 wrote:Here is what OP said(Money and job prospects (in location, strength, and variety) seem to be the biggest considerdations. I dont know that many people who will say that Iowa has the advantage here.
Just to clarify, when I said money was a consideration I meant the level of law school debt, not post-LS salary. Post-LS I want to be comfortable enough to travel a bit, enjoy the trappings of a big city, and have a stable family life. I by no means wish to be uber-rich (although it'd be nice).

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:18 pm

*bump*

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:52 pm

thepcv wrote: In this case, I'd say Iowa. I think they have better reach throughout the midwest than Illinois has (especially when you start looking outside of Chicago--like St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc). With that said, Illinois would have an advantage in Chicago.
I disagree with this completely. I think Illinois has much more range throughout the midwest than Iowa has. This one's a no-brainer - take UIUC.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
thepcv wrote: In this case, I'd say Iowa. I think they have better reach throughout the midwest than Illinois has (especially when you start looking outside of Chicago--like St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, etc). With that said, Illinois would have an advantage in Chicago.
I disagree with this completely. I think Illinois has much more range throughout the midwest than Iowa has. This one's a no-brainer - take UIUC.
Where are people looking when they argue which school has more range? Examples? I know I need to look this up but I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:01 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
Where are people looking when they argue which school has more range? Examples? I know I need to look this up but I'm not quite sure where to begin.
I'm looking in my brain, thus why I said "I think" instead of "I have empirical evidence."

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
I'm looking in my brain, thus why I said "I think" instead of "I have empirical evidence."
Fair.

ASUTimmyD

New

Post by ASUTimmyD » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Vincent Vega wrote: This one's a no-brainer - take UIUC.
Vincent Vega wrote: I'm looking in my brain, thus why I said "I think" instead of "I have empirical evidence."
Contradictory?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm

What are the stipulations on the Illinois scholarship?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
Anyone can think all sorts of things, none of which may be accurate. So, instead, here are some real data.

Regional placement stats for Illinois: (from UIUC's website)
New England .05%
Mid-Atlantic 3.7%
East North Central 68.4% (IL, IN, OH, WI)
West North Central 3.7%
South Atlantic 12.3%
East South Central 1.1%
West South Central 1.6%
Mountain 2.7%
Pacific 4.8%
Foreign Countries 1.1%

For Iowa: (from Iowa's website)
New England 1.57%
Mid-Atlantic 3.14%
East North Central 21.47% (IL, IN, OH, WI)
West North Central 47.64%
South Atlantic 9.42%
East South Central 0
West South Central 2.62%
Mountain 7.33%
Pacific 6.81%
Foreign 0

The mid-west reach of the schools are pretty close. Yes, Illinois places much better in East North Central than does Iowa, very likely because of the Chicago market. That written, Iowa has better placement pretty much across the board.

Illinois places better in NLJ 250 firms (26.7% vs. 19.8%), but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a better choice.

You want Chicago and nothing else will make you happy - Illinois is a better fit. If St. Louis, or mere breadth of placement, then I'd say Iowa.

Admittedly, this is my opinion, but an opinion based on the above empirical evidence.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:33 pm

JOThompson wrote:What are the stipulations on the Illinois scholarship?
Guaranteed $10k each year for all three years.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:36 pm

Jerome wrote: Anyone can think all sorts of things, none of which may be accurate. So, instead, here are some real data.

New England .05%
Mid-Atlantic 3.7%
West North Central 3.7%
South Atlantic 12.3%
East South Central 1.1%
West South Central 1.6%
Mountain 2.7%
Pacific 4.8%
Foreign Countries 1.1%

New England 1.57%
Mid-Atlantic 3.14%
South Atlantic 9.42%
East South Central 0
West South Central 2.62%
Mountain 7.33%
Pacific 6.81%
Foreign 0

The mid-west reach of the schools are pretty close. Yes, Illinois places much better in East North Central than does Iowa, very likely because of the Chicago market. That written, Iowa has better placement pretty much across the board.

Illinois places better in NLJ 250 firms (26.7% vs. 19.8%), but that doesn't necessarily mean it is a better choice.

You want Chicago and nothing else will make you happy - Illinois is a better fit. If St. Louis, or mere breadth of placement, then I'd say Iowa.

Admittedly, this is my opinion, but an opinion based on the above empirical evidence.
Thanks. That is really helpful. I'm looking at St. Louis now but understand that my goals may change. Chicago could make me happy as well. I wonder if Illinois would be a better choice because of its reach to both cities. But like you said, Iowa seems to have a better across the board placement.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 pm

In your case, I'd recommend UIUC. The access to a large home market is worth the extra cost in these uncertain times. If you do decide to pursue a more traditional legal career, then Illinois will give you a slight edge over Iowa for firm jobs. If PI is the route for you, then the $27k difference is neglible if you use IBR for ten years.

That said, I do feel that Iowa is essentially a peer school and I believe that it enjoys pretty similar job prospects throughout most of the midwest (minus Chicago, of course). I was facing a somewhat similar dilemma a couple weeks ago (UMN $$ vs. Iowa $$$). Personally, I chose Iowa because it offered the best value for my goals. It would've cost me an extra $60k to attend UMN and that price just wasn't worth it for a few ranking spots. For an additional ~$25k though, I would've probably gone with the higher ranked school with a legal market in its backyard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:45 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Jerome wrote: Anyone can think all sorts of things, none of which may be accurate. So, instead, here are some real data.

New England .05%
Mid-Atlantic 3.7%
West North Central 3.7%
South Atlantic 12.3%
East South Central 1.1%
West South Central 1.6%
Mountain 2.7%
Pacific 4.8%
Foreign Countries 1.1%

New England 1.57%
Mid-Atlantic 3.14%
South Atlantic 9.42%
East South Central 0
West South Central 2.62%
Mountain 7.33%
Pacific 6.81%
Foreign 0

Thanks. That is really helpful. I'm looking at St. Louis now but understand that my goals may change. Chicago could make me happy as well. I wonder if Illinois would be a better choice because of its reach to both cities. But like you said, Iowa seems to have a better across the board placement.
Iowa has a better placement across the board because Illinois grads stay in Chicago. Take those into consideration....Which school will do better in a bad economy....If you care about rankings then try and figure out what school thinks their ranking is likely to get better/stay the same..etc.......but like i said before...try and talk to students who are willing to give you an honest opinion about the school...Personally i love both schools..but I love Illinois more.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:56 pm

JOThompson wrote:In your case, I'd recommend UIUC. The access to a large home market is worth the extra cost in these uncertain times. If you do decide to pursue a more traditional legal career, then Illinois will give you a slight edge over Iowa for firm jobs. If PI is the route for you, then the $27k difference is neglible if you use IBR for ten years....For an additional ~$25k though, I would've probably gone with the higher ranked school with a legal market in its backyard.
This actually makes a lot of sense. I do know that I don't really want to stay in Iowa long-term and it is nice that Illinois has large home market which I wouldn't mind staying in.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I hope to see you at Iowa in the fall, but I completely understand why you might decide on UIUC :)

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:07 pm

ASUTimmyD wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote: This one's a no-brainer - take UIUC.
Vincent Vega wrote: I'm looking in my brain, thus why I said "I think" instead of "I have empirical evidence."
Contradictory?
This is what I was going for.
Jerome wrote:Anyone can think all sorts of things, none of which may be accurate. So, instead, here are some real data.
True, but perception is also a large factor in situations such as this. A lot of your data could also be accounted for by self-selection - it could simply be that Illinois students prefer the midwest much more than Iowa students (perhaps partially because QOL in Champaign is generally considered better than that of Iowa City).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”