UPenn w/ $78k Scholly vs. Chicago at Sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Penn w/ $78k Scholly or Chicago at Sticker

Penn
84%
Chicago
16%

Total votes: 221

Core

Silver

UPenn w/ $78k Scholly vs. Chicago at Sticker

Post by Core » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:38 pm

I posted about this in another thread, and everybody pretty much said Penn was the better choice, but I figure it can only help to get further insight.
I received a $78,000 award (mixture of a grant and a Dean's Scholarship) from Penn and absolutely nothing from Chicago. Negotiation with Chicago got me nowhere, save for a rude response from their financial aid dean. I am really enamored with Chicago, and Penn seems to be a step down, based on these boards and various rankings, so I don't know what to do - hence the creation of this thread. I have apps pending at CLS, HLS, and SLS, but I'd like to be able to decide between Penn and Chicago asap.
My ultimate goal is do get a government, nonprofit, or ngo job in NYC (D.C. is my second choice). I am not interested in Biglaw for the long term but am not opposed to doing it for a year or two directly after graduation. I am also somewhat interested in doing a clerkship after graduation.
Any insight would be much appreciated.
Last edited by Core on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

avacado111

Bronze

Re: UPenn w/ $78k Scholly vs. Chicago at Sticker

Post by avacado111 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:41 pm

money talks :)

in all seriousness.. what are your goals?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Core wrote:I posted about this in another thread, and everybody pretty much said Penn was the better choice, but I figure it can only help to get further insight.
I received a $78,000 award (mixture of a grant and a Dean's Scholarship) from Penn and absolutely nothing from Chicago. Negotiation with Chicago got me nowhere, save for a rude response from their financial aid dean. I am really enamored with Chicago, and Penn seems to be a step down, based on these boards and various rankings, so I don't know what to do - hence the creation of this thread. I have apps pending at CLS, HLS, and SLS, but I'd like to be able to decide between Penn and Chicago asap.
My ultimate goal is do get a government, nonprofit, or ngo job in NYC (D.C. is my second choice). I am not interested in Biglaw for the long term but am not opposed to doing it for a year or two directly after graduation. I am also interested in doing a clerkship after graduation.
wow, tough call. I mean, personally, if I was pursuing JUST PI, I'd say take the money and run. But Chicago does do well with Clerskhips, and I imagine the differential in placement is significant. However, I also imagine Penn has stronger inroads into NYC, though that's speculation. Id visit both and make a judgment call.

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:42 pm

This is a tough decision, imo. Before you reach any final conclusions, though, I'd wait to see what Chicago unveils re: LARP & PI at the asw this weekend. Also, have you been able to visit them both?

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:46 pm

miamiman wrote:
Core wrote:I posted about this in another thread, and everybody pretty much said Penn was the better choice, but I figure it can only help to get further insight.
My ultimate goal is do get a government, nonprofit, or ngo job in NYC (D.C. is my second choice). I am not interested in Biglaw for the long term but am not opposed to doing it for a year or two directly after graduation. I am also interested in doing a clerkship after graduation.
wow, tough call. I mean, personally, if I was pursuing JUST PI, I'd say take the money and run. But Chicago does do well with Clerskhips, and I imagine the differential in placement is significant. However, I also imagine Penn has stronger inroads into NYC, though that's speculation. Id visit both and make a judgment call.
To be fair, my interest in a clerkship is minor. I doubt I'd have the grades to get one at either school, so nevermind that lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:46 pm

This needs a poll!

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Core wrote:
miamiman wrote:
To be fair, my interest in a clerkship is minor. I doubt I'd have the grades to get one at either school, so nevermind that lol.
PENN for the win

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:48 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:This is a tough decision, imo. Before you reach any final conclusions, though, I'd wait to see what Chicago unveils re: LARP & PI at the asw this weekend. Also, have you been able to visit them both?
I have not, but I am visiting Penn this weekend.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:59 pm

It seems that your basic options are Chicago with a year or two of biglaw to pay off your extra debt before you can do what you want to do in PI, versus Penn with graduation straight into doing what you want to do in PI. It is true Chicago would likely give you more slightly options. But it is hard to see that a year or two of really terrible quality of life in biglaw (given your career interests, not necessarily terrible quality of life for others) is worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:03 pm

My ultimate goal is do get a government, nonprofit, or ngo job in NYC (D.C. is my second choice). I am not interested in Biglaw for the long term but am not opposed to doing it for a year or two directly after graduation. I am also somewhat interested in doing a clerkship after graduation.
exactly what about chicago enamores?
Last edited by najumobi on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:04 pm

sumus romani wrote:It seems that your basic options are Chicago with a year or two of biglaw to pay off your extra debt before you can do what you want to do in PI, versus Penn with graduation straight into doing what you want to do in PI. It is true Chicago would likely give you more slightly options. But it is hard to see that a year or two of really terrible quality of life in biglaw (given your career interests, not necessarily terrible quality of life for others) is worth it.
Even at Penn, OP would have $120,000 in debt.

If you want to do PI straight away, you'll be relying on the LRAP either way.

gossipgirl

Bronze

Post by gossipgirl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:04 pm

Core wrote:save for a rude response from their financial aid dean.
I've actually now heard this same sentiment from more than 3 people about the financial aid dean. Unless it's everyone catching her on a bad day, I wonder why she reacts in such a bad way to people asking for some financial help.

Go Penn!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:06 pm

scribelaw wrote:
sumus romani wrote:It seems that your basic options are Chicago with a year or two of biglaw to pay off your extra debt before you can do what you want to do in PI, versus Penn with graduation straight into doing what you want to do in PI. It is true Chicago would likely give you more slightly options. But it is hard to see that a year or two of really terrible quality of life in biglaw (given your career interests, not necessarily terrible quality of life for others) is worth it.

good point. OP should just pick whichever school OP likes more. the difference in debt can be overcome.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jobless2Lguy

New

Post by jobless2Lguy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:13 pm

najumobi wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

good point. OP should just pick whichever school OP likes more. the difference in debt can be overcome.
As an SA-less CLS 2L, I'm staring down unemployment and 190k debt. I would do anything to go back and re-make my decision. I wish I had taken money at DCNG instead of going sticker at CLS. I got an unpaid internship with a state agency this summer with no reasonable possibility of a permanent hire.

With an option like Penn + money, I would absolutely take Penn. The marginal advantage of hiring out of Chicago is miniscule at best.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:17 pm

jobless2Lguy wrote:
najumobi wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

As an SA-less CLS 2L, I'm staring down unemployment and 190k debt. I would do anything to go back and re-make my decision. I wish I had taken money at DCNG instead of going sticker at CLS. I got an unpaid internship with a state agency this summer with no reasonable possibility of a permanent hire.

With an option like Penn + money, I would absolutely take Penn. The marginal advantage of hiring out of Chicago is miniscule at best.
hmmm i guess it's different when you're actually facing the possibility of not having a way to pay back loans. how much would you have owed if you went to DCNG? and would that debt load still be hard to deal with?

jobless2Lguy

New

Post by jobless2Lguy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:21 pm

I would have owed around 130k. Still a lot, but much more manageable than 190k. The difference is paying 1900/month v. 1300/month post tax.

My goal now is to get a job that qualifies for LRAP. If I don't get an offer from the agency I'm working for this summer, I will just spam government and public interest, and also midlaw (although that is probably futile, from what I've heard).

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:29 pm

jobless2Lguy wrote:I would have owed around 130k. Still a lot, but much more manageable than 190k. The difference is paying 1900/month v. 1300/month post tax.

My goal now is to get a job that qualifies for LRAP. If I don't get an offer from the agency I'm working for this summer, I will just spam government and public interest, and also midlaw (although that is probably futile, from what I've heard).
if you do get an offer, would you not also take advantage of IBR as well? that would limit your loan payments to under 500/month assuming you're making no more than 50k/yr.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:31 pm

najumobi wrote:
The faculty, tiny class size, curriculum, amazing placement in just about everything, push for and assistance with publishing, and the quarter system.
$78,000 is just hard to turn down.

lawschoollll

Bronze

Post by lawschoollll » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Chicago. Because I want your spot and $ at UP.

But in seriousness, take Penn. And Philly's a lot nicer than its rep would have you believe.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 pm

jobless2Lguy wrote:
najumobi wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

Sorry to hear about your situation. Thank you for the advice.

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:33 pm

najumobi wrote:
scribelaw wrote:

Sorry guys, but I just don't see it that way. Using LRAP or IBR in effect caps your earnings till you pay off the loan in full or you wait out the decade or more below the cap at the qualifying job type. The job market is bad (some don't find qualifying jobs for LRAP), and the extra $78,000 will just sit there accruing interest over time at around 7 percent, even for those who gain employment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I knew Penn was going to win this poll, but I had no idea it would be such a landslide. It currently stands at 23-0.

Congrats on your great options, Core!
Chicago, even more hated by TLSers than Penn.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Core wrote:
najumobi wrote:
The faculty, tiny class size, curriculum, amazing placement in just about everything, push for and assistance with publishing, and the quarter system.
$78,000 is just hard to turn down.
to be honest, if you're going to pay to be some place, you might as well make it some place where you whole-heartedly want to be. just make sure you the loans you take out can qualify for ibr and the job you take after law school can qualify for lrap.

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:37 pm

Seventy-eight thousand dollars
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:38 pm

APimpNamedSlickback wrote:Seventy-five thousand dollars
ha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”