UCLA ($) vs. UT Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which School

UCLA
42%
UT
50%
USC
4%
Fordham
4%

Total votes: 24

dissonantdemon

New

UCLA ($) vs. UT

Post by dissonantdemon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:29 am

Ok, so I am torn and running out of time; I have UCLA with $10,000 a year, and UT with nothing.

I also have USC with $20,000 a year and Fordham with $15,000 a year. However, I do not know where I want to really live or practice in the future, and so based on the fact that everyone always talks about UCLA and UT having like super-regional status and a bit of national reach, I haven't really been considering USC and Fordham. From what I have heard and read about the two cities and schools themselves, I feel like I would enjoy living in Austin more, but that UCLA would be the safer/smarter decision given my lack of certainty as to what/where I want my career. Any suggestions?

Is UCLA ($) a better choice than UT, or are they exactly the same and I should just go with my gut and move to Austin?

I know UCLA vs. UT has been talked to death, but I seem to go back and forth between the two daily, so any specific comments about my situation would really be appreciated!

im_blue

Gold

Re: UCLA ($) vs. UT

Post by im_blue » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:34 am

Based only on national reach, I would say Texas, UCLA, Fordham, and USC, in that order. Since Texas and UCLA would cost about the same with UCLA's stiff tuition increases, I would take Texas.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:51 am

im_blue wrote:Based only on national reach, I would say Texas, UCLA, Fordham, and USC, in that order. Since Texas and UCLA would cost about the same with UCLA's stiff tuition increases, I would take Texas.
I think this is accurate on both counts (mobility and cost). I'd only say not UT if you knew you wanted West Coast (UCLA) or NYC (Fordham), or hated Texas and never wanted to work there.

dissonantdemon

New

Post by dissonantdemon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 am

So due to the fact that UCLA is offering so little, I'm not going to be crazy to ignore it?

One hesitation I have is that looking a LSN, with my 167/3.9, it seems like getting into UCLA with money is unusual, whereas getting into UT was not surprising, so to me that says that I should be more thankful/excited for my opportunity at UCLA rather than UT
Last edited by dissonantdemon on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:18 am

dissonantdemon wrote:So due to the fact that UCLA is offering so little, I'm not going to be crazy to ignore it?
What matters is the total cost of the school, not how much aid they are offering you

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:23 am

dissonantdemon wrote:So due to the fact that UCLA is offering so little, I'm not going to be crazy to ignore it?

One hesitation I have is that looking a LSN, with my 167/3.9, it seems like getting into UCLA with money is unusual, whereas getting into UT was not surprising, so to me that says that I should be more thankful/excited for my opportunity at UCLA rather than UT
but does that mean you should actually go there?

dissonantdemon

New

Post by dissonantdemon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:30 am

I guess when it comes down to it, that is really what I'm trying to work out, I think I would like the answer to be no, I'm not not 100% convinced that it is yet

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:39 am

dissonantdemon wrote:I guess when it comes down to it, that is really what I'm trying to work out, I think I would like the answer to be no, I'm not not 100% convinced that it is yet
i definitely don't think you should head to ucla out of a sense of thanks or honor that they picked you. 10k a year also seems like a pretty negligible difference when it comes to ucla's tuition hikes and higher COL.

from there, it really comes down to where you'd rather live for three years, wouldn't hate living post-grad, etc.

dissonantdemon

New

Post by dissonantdemon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:11 am

Would the fact that at the moment I am looking to do something in the IP realm, like I'm thinking copyright law most likely, change your opinions at all? [I didn't mention this earlier because I am working under the assumption that if I changed my major multiple times in undergrad, I may very well do the same thing in law school]

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dissonantdemon

New

Post by dissonantdemon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:16 am

Also I know UCLA said I could get in-state tuition for 2L and 3L, but it doesn't seem like that is possible at UT, anyone know more about that?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:21 am

dissonantdemon wrote:Also I know UCLA said I could get in-state tuition for 2L and 3L, but it doesn't seem like that is possible at UT, anyone know more about that?
it is. just buy land right now and sign a 1 year lease when you get there.

dissonantdemon

New

Post by dissonantdemon » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:29 am

buying land sounds pretty expensive, in addition to the cost of school in general, would the in-state tuition rate even be worth it after buying land?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:32 am

dissonantdemon wrote:buying land sounds pretty expensive, in addition to the cost of school in general, would the in-state tuition rate even be worth it after buying land?
buying land will only run you approximately $1K or so. 2 years worth of in-state savings is worth around $30K

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:33 am

I never looked into it, but I think some people "flip" dirt cheap parcels of nothingness in west Texas to get in-state after a year. I've heard it works, but I don't know if that is true or not...

UT has a pretty good IP program.

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:40 am

My personal pick is UCLA but most of that is just because I'd never want to live in Texas. They are both comparable academically and "prestige" wise (if that matters to you). UCLA has wonderful weather, a solid academic reputation (even if it's not a T14), and will leave you well positioned for a job in most of California. If you decide you want to work elsewhere, it's important that you use your summer internships/SA to establish a network in a different market.

However, if yo have no problem living in Texas for the next 3 years and decide that it's a more financially sound move for you (due to cost of living, etc.) then UT is still a great choice.

This really is a choice of personal preference

Just to show you that the schools are near identical, check out this information on placement http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”