My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
danquayle

Silver

Re: My wife makes 110k, 27 years old and wants to go to Law sch

Post by danquayle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:37 am

ViIIager wrote:I know I said it before, but I just want to reiterate:

Part-time law school means you get to keep her current income.

Tell your wife to look into keeping her job and going to a local school. I'm making six figures and my wife/kids are dependent on my income, so I chose part-time law school so I could keep my job and income. The whole cost-benefit analysis involving opportunity cost becomes moot (though expect to sacrifice all of her free time for three or four years). Yes, that probably limits her options to local schools which may not be as highly rated Yale, Harvard, or Stanford, but that may not matter if she "just wants to try a different career". If you're in a major city, that'd make things easy--for example DC has a plethora of options spread across the rankings, as does NYC.

As a sidenote, Jesus, are all of us in the IT field going to law school to see if a career change is a good idea? I've seen four IT people in this thread already.
Yeah, the suitability of local law schools is a big question mark, bbbuuuut... potential employers would understand her going part time while keeping your 6 figure job far more readily than her quitting an already lucrative career for law school. I think firms would be more forgiving of a lower ranked law school than they would be otherwise.

That being said, if you can get into like a HYSCCN, I'd take the risk full time. But that's where I'd draw the line, and maybe even at HYS.

The Kid

New

Post by The Kid » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:27 am

Septhinox wrote:I am a 32yo IT professional making 110k a year and am going to leave IT to attend law school. I have weighed the pros and cons and the phrase "you only live once" is a huge factor for me as well. For the OP, if she really wants too, support her decision. The regrets in the future may become unbearable.
My question is to Septhinox, Sbimmer, itsmytime10 and others like-minded (me included):

Since that decision may appear as an unreasonable one to deans of admission, how do you plan to work your way through the PS? Do you intend simply to state that desire of change and to pursue what many deem a dream? Or else are you considering the adoption of a more conservative approach (such as stressing some kind of continuity between your present career and the "law school dream"?

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:31 am

The Kid wrote:
Septhinox wrote:I am a 32yo IT professional making 110k a year and am going to leave IT to attend law school. I have weighed the pros and cons and the phrase "you only live once" is a huge factor for me as well. For the OP, if she really wants too, support her decision. The regrets in the future may become unbearable.
My question is to Septhinox, Sbimmer, itsmytime10 and others like-minded (me included):

Since that decision may appear as an unreasonable one to deans of admission, how do you plan to work your way through the PS? Do you intend simply to state that desire of change and to pursue what many deem a dream? Or else are you considering the adoption of a more conservative approach (such as stressing some kind of continuity between your present career and the "law school dream"?
For me i did stress continuity. I tied my background, both education and work experience to my desire to pursue Law. You don't want to look like you are just jumping around. I think that approach shows motivation and will distinguish you from the other "straight out of undergrad kids"

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 am

kosherboy2 wrote:i would say she should go...(btw are both u and your wife reading this or just u) and if money is that crucial, then maybe she could wait a year or two and enter law school about the same time you leave it.
We both are. thnx

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”