NU vs GULC vs USC ($$) vs UT ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I go?

Northwestern
60%
Georgetown p/t
20%
Texas
20%
USC
No votes

Total votes: 15

alaskaman

New

NU vs GULC vs USC ($$) vs UT ($$)

Post by alaskaman » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:37 am

I'm interested in government work like DOJ Honors or a Council job (I know these are really competitive, just saying...), but I would also be satisfied with the whole clerkship/biglaw path. I am really into DC or CA, although I wouldn't mind other places -- I just want flexibility after I get out of school. From talking to people, I think personality-wise I would fit in with NU and Austin people the most. Would I be able to go to California or DC from NU? Is GULC p/t (with a part-time job lined up) going to hurt me with getting a job at a firm or getting a clerkship? Will it be tough to get out of Texas from UT or SoCal from USC?

A little bit about me -- I am from Alaska and don't mind weather. Money isn't really a deciding factor for me either. I am waitlisted at Columbia and a bunch of other schools. i love all the cities these schools are in.
Last edited by alaskaman on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beef wellington

Silver

Re: NU vs GULC vs USC ($$) vs UT ($$)

Post by beef wellington » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:45 am

Interest in govt work would seem to make GULC TCR. The only thing PT will hurt is your ability to transfer. The LRAP is great too, although so is NU's.
Last edited by beef wellington on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Do not go to Texas or USC unless you're okay with staying TX or CA, respectively. Twice as many UT students stay in the region as leave, and at USC it's more like 3 or 4 to 1 stay versus leave.

The risk with Georgetown is getting a job, given the cut in OCI and the enormous class size. Be cautious about going to Northwestern if you don't want to wind up in the Midwest, especially with the economy. I'm going to NU with San Francisco as my target market, but I'm happy to wind up in the Midwest as a backup.

alaskaman

New

Post by alaskaman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:37 am

NU with SF as your target? Is that possible? If I were confident I could get California from NU down the road, I would do NU in a heartbeat. But it seems like NU people stick to big firms in ILL and NYC -- self-selection?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 am

NayBoer wrote:Do not go to Texas or USC unless you're okay with staying TX or CA, respectively. Twice as many UT students stay in the region as leave, and at USC it's more like 3 or 4 to 1 stay versus leave.

The risk with Georgetown is getting a job, given the cut in OCI and the enormous class size. Be cautious about going to Northwestern if you don't want to wind up in the Midwest, especially with the economy. I'm going to NU with San Francisco as my target market, but I'm happy to wind up in the Midwest as a backup.
not saying that UT is more national than GULC or NU, but you have to keep in mind that only less than 25% of the matriculants at UT are from out of state, yet the school places over 30% out of state. Most of the in-state students don't shoot for jobs outside of Texas, so it's reasonable to assume that almost anyone who wants to leave Texas can and do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”