Just got a job engineering, go part time? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
zreinhar

Bronze

Just got a job engineering, go part time?

Post by zreinhar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:07 am

Soooo I just got a job offering 65k a year in Engineering at a place that rhymes with shmeneral delectric.. I also have a side job consulting for another compnay at $30 an hour about 10-15 hours a week. I got into GSU with pretty good stats, Im on the WL for UGA and Emory and feel that if I retook I could get in the 164-166 range and get in to those schools.

note: Current stats are 3.71, 162, probably above avg. softs

However, would this be a good scenario?

I plan on taking the patent bar (sent off materials about two weeks ago) in the next months to prep for a career in IP (and yes I know i want to do this, I have internship experience in IP and know that I like it, believe it or not). If I keep my full time job at 65k and the pt at about an extra 20k a year, plus SO at about 30k-40k, I could save up some substantial money. I know everyone says not to go with the intent of trasnferring and I would be wholly happy with graduating from GSU, but I will be going part time and will have more of a spread between classes, thus allowing me more time for adjustments should they be neccesary. I would try and take two years to complete my 1L and then transfer wherever with a nice little savings to keep away from the loan sharks....

My thoughts to the collective TLS community are, is this a good idea? if not, why not? and any alternate ideas?

zreinhar

Bronze

Re: Just got a job engineering, go part time?

Post by zreinhar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:22 pm

shameless bump?

mkirk3

New

Post by mkirk3 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:27 pm

zreinhar wrote:Soooo I just got a job offering 65k a year in Engineering at a place that rhymes with shmeneral delectric.. I also have a side job consulting for another compnay at $30 an hour about 10-15 hours a week. I got into GSU with pretty good stats, Im on the WL for UGA and Emory and feel that if I retook I could get in the 164-166 range and get in to those schools.

note: Current stats are 3.71, 162, probably above avg. softs

However, would this be a good scenario?

I plan on taking the patent bar (sent off materials about two weeks ago) in the next months to prep for a career in IP (and yes I know i want to do this, I have internship experience in IP and know that I like it, believe it or not). If I keep my full time job at 65k and the pt at about an extra 20k a year, plus SO at about 30k-40k, I could save up some substantial money. I know everyone says not to go with the intent of trasnferring and I would be wholly happy with graduating from GSU, but I will be going part time and will have more of a spread between classes, thus allowing me more time for adjustments should they be neccesary. I would try and take two years to complete my 1L and then transfer wherever with a nice little savings to keep away from the loan sharks....

My thoughts to the collective TLS community are, is this a good idea? if not, why not? and any alternate ideas?
If you don't mind graduating from GSU and the fear of transfer failure isn't bad, I don't think it would be bad to do this. I have very similar stats and got into UGA, so you are close. Idk, either way would work, and I'd hate to give up a good job in this economy. Good luck!

zreinhar

Bronze

Post by zreinhar » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:13 pm

yeah I mean, I would love the whole "went to a school you have heard of" thing, but if I have a job, thats the real thing... and working in engineering could hold me over until i find a job as a patent agent... thanks for the input

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”