Where to - suggestions? American, Brooklyn, Penn State . . . Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

WCL / UofCT / Brooklyn / Penn State ?

American
21%
U of Connecticut
7%
Brooklyn
29%
Penn State
43%

Total votes: 14

bluepixie

New

Where to - suggestions? American, Brooklyn, Penn State . . .

Post by bluepixie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide among a few and waiting to hear from others where I've been waitlisted. I've already turned down the ones I know I wouldn't want to attend after all. So below is the list of the places I'm still considering. I'm still hearing to hear on financial aid.

BC (waitlisted)
Fordham (waitlisted)
American (got in less than a week after I applied!!)
Cardozo (waitlisted)
U of Connecticut (43,000/yr.)
Brooklyn
Penn State (41,500/yr.)

I am interested in international law (hence AU-WCL) but I am not planning a career in public interest law; my interest is more in trade and business. I am also interested in other fields and am not committed to working only in international law. I'm from NYC and although I am not against leaving for a few years, I fully intend on living and practicing here in the long-term.

Because I'm aware of how saturated the market in NYC is, I'm trying to choose the highest ranked school I can attend. But I wonder if there is a real advantage to choosing American over (at this point) Connecticut or Brooklyn. Even though these are are more regional schools, they are in the region I want to work in. Any thoughts?
Last edited by bluepixie on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KMaine

Silver

Re: Where to - suggestions? American, Brooklyn, Penn State . . .

Post by KMaine » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Personally, I would go to UCONN all things equal. Since they are not, I would go to Penn State. Good luck!

blsingindisguise

Silver

Post by blsingindisguise » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:49 pm

I wouldn't go to any of these at out-of-state sticker price.

Snowdrifter

New

Post by Snowdrifter » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:50 pm

If you want to practice in New York: Brooklyn.

The conclusion that the saturated market means a person should take #45 school instead of #50 (or that firms will even know which school is which rank) is bogus and unproven. Obviously, the top 15-25ish schools make up most of the biglaw jobs, but since none of them are on your list...it really won't matter whether you choose anyone in the 40-80 range. The key factor is the market location.

bluepixie

New

Post by bluepixie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:06 pm

Snowdrifter wrote:If you want to practice in New York: Brooklyn.

The conclusion that the saturated market means a person should take #45 school instead of #50 (or that firms will even know which school is which rank) is bogus and unproven. Obviously, the top 15-25ish schools make up most of the biglaw jobs, but since none of them are on your list...it really won't matter whether you choose anyone in the 40-80 range. The key factor is the market location.

Thanks very much. You make an excellent point in general and about the rankings. More food for thought . . .

bluepixie

New

Post by bluepixie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:10 pm

KMaine wrote:Personally, I would go to UCONN all things equal. Since they are not, I would go to Penn State. Good luck!

Why UConn? Please tell me your thoughts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”