Cornell vs. Georgetown Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lehtsgostars

New

Cornell vs. Georgetown

Post by lehtsgostars » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:27 am

Having to decide between Cornell versus Georgetown, although I haven't heard from Northwestern yet, even though my application has been complete since Dec. 3. Have also been waitlisted at Penn, Duke, and Michigan. Loved my visit to Georgetown.

I have no desire to work in NYC, and probably not in the Northeast in general.
I am concerned about Ithaca's remoteness, and fear that "cabin fever" may be a problem.
At the same time, I'm concerned about Georgetown's sheer size and the potential for getting lost in the numbers.
Note that if I am accepted at Northwestern, I will go there, so this conundrum wouldn't be an issue, then.

Which school has the better national reputation, and which will provide me with the most preparation for a future law career?
Of the three schools I have been waitlisted at, which one is worth pursuing more? (my preference, in order, is Michigan, Duke, and Penn (mainly because I don't want to live in Philadelphia for 3 years))

Thanks for your help

fortissimo

Silver

Re: Cornell vs. Georgetown

Post by fortissimo » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:22 am

What type of job do you want to pursue? Georgetown has a much better LRAP, but I've also heard that its OCI was by far the worst out of the top 14 because of its large size and DC-focus. (And I believe its LRAP is very restricted to certain types of jobs.)

lehtsgostars

New

Post by lehtsgostars » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:16 am

I'm not that interested in pursuing a career in public interest law. I'm more interested in going the private route.

acdisagod

Bronze

Post by acdisagod » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:23 am

I'm making the same decision (Except working in NY is attractive to me).

Right now I'm leaning a little toward Georgetown because I'm more interested in government/public interest than biglaw.
Also, while Cornell has historically lead in biglaw placement Georgetown did just as well last year. Do people think that's a short term aberration due to the economy?

4for44

Bronze

Post by 4for44 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:35 am

IMO, DC is a great city to live and study in. If DC law sounds appealing go to GeorgeTTTown, and work your ass off to stand out, if you definitely dont want to work in DC, Cornell seems to have better NATIONAL reach based on representation in their OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:33 am

but I've also heard that its OCI was by far the worst out of the top 14 because of its large size and DC-focus
Tell that to Penn and Cornell, which we beat in biglaw placement for the most recent available year.
Cornell seems to have better NATIONAL reach based on representation in their OCI.
Umm... No. Check the NALP directory.

elmagic

New

Post by elmagic » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:27 am

nealric wrote:
but I've also heard that its OCI was by far the worst out of the top 14 because of its large size and DC-focus
Tell that to Penn and Cornell, which we beat in biglaw placement for the most recent available year.
I am not sure which data you are referring to, but the most recent NLJ250 data has Penn placing more than half of its class into these firms. Although calling every firm on the NLJ250 "Biglaw" might be a stretch.

And if you look at the data compiled here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... acing+2009
1. Stanford - 77.1%
2. Yale - 72.1%
3. Harvard - 65.7%
4. Virginia - 65.2%
5. Michigan - 64.9%
6. Columbia - 64.0%
7. Chicago - 63.1%
8. Northwestern - 62.7%
9. Penn - 61.7%
10. Duke - 61.5%
11. Berkeley - 58.1%
12. NYU - 57.4%
13. Vanderbilt - 55.0%
14. Cornell - 52.4%
15. Georgetown - 48.4%
16. Texas - 47.5%
17. USC - 47.2%
18. UCLA - 41.9%
19. Boston College - 38.0%
20. Notre Dame - 37.8%
This data takes into account federal clerkships, which gives a bit more context, and also shows that Georgetown not only placed worse than Cornell and Penn but also Vanderbilt.

I still think OP should go to Georgetown given his/her lack of interest in Cornell's primary market.

legalease9

Silver

Post by legalease9 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:56 am

Go Georgetown unless cornell gives $$.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:19 pm

This data takes into account federal clerkships, which gives a bit more context, and also shows that Georgetown not only placed worse than Cornell and Penn but also Vanderbilt.
Shortchanges GULC for not taking fed government hiring into account.

But the point I was contesting was OCI. GULC really does have a very extensive and national OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”