UCLA $ v Mich $ v ?? for California IP Law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA/UMich/DIAF?

UCLA
53%
UMich
47%

Total votes: 51

weee

Bronze

UCLA $ v Mich $ v ?? for California IP Law

Post by weee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:48 pm

So, I know this question has been asked already, and I've even participated in the discussion, but of course every situation is unique

I will just put it down as a pro/con where basically with the $$ offered I consider the cost of tuition + attending a tie or slightly in favor of UCLA, but negligibly so.

I am a non traditional, BS/MS EE with 5+ years of work exp at a company that is well known in CA and probably a very good reputation nationwide. I would be aiming to take approx $100k loans from at UCLA or Mich and take the rest from savings. I will also be taking the patent bar before the Fall starts and I see no reason not to pass as I will be doing the necessary prep work.

UCLA:

Pros:
I want to work in CA, and I want to do IP
Guaranteed the housing I want as part of my scholly offer
My SO is going to be in LA in the coming years for sure
Work experience in LA
Minor Pro:
I love playing year round tennis

Cons:
Not top 10 ranked and all the consequences of that for jobs, etc.

UMich:
Pros:
Superior ranking at same cost
If I changed my mind about CA or IP, may provide more opportunities (although I find this unlikely)
extremely minor pro (apparently):
Sweet gym facilities from the sounds of it

Cons:
An actual winter
Additional costs not included in my cost estimates for visiting family /SO

Columbia Waitlist:
Pros:
It's Columbia

Cons:
I'm not accepted

I have a follow up LOR from a former Assistant Professor at Columbia pending, so this could definitely bolster things for me.

If I get in to Columbia, I would most likely select it regardless of the money consideration.
Last edited by weee on Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Re: UCLA $ v Mich $ v ?? for California IP Law

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:31 pm

UCLA.

roadkilllaw

New

Post by roadkilllaw » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:38 pm

You should make a poll!

If you don't get Columbia, I'd do UCLA over Mich

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:49 pm

roadkilllaw wrote:You should make a poll!

If you don't get Columbia, I'd do UCLA over Mich
Poll Added.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:10 pm

You say you're a tennis player? Well I know for a fact that the U of M has beautiful tennis courts, but guess what? They're ALL outdoors. Thus, they are accessible maybe six months of the year. As for Michigan's gyms... meh. There are A LOT of gyms, but the nicest ones are crammed full of Div-A athletes and members of the public. The others are "old". The only good one is on Hoover St., which has an old-style architecture to it and a nice set of basketball courts upstairs. Don't pick Michigan because of its sports facilities... bad idea to think that way for any school, let alone the U of M.

Having said this, it's a close call, but UCLA is what I'd take.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Muckduck

Bronze

Post by Muckduck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Mich degree is more portable. And it might be nice to switch up our lifestyle for at least 3 years since it sounds like you have been in Cali for a while and want to end up there too. Who knows, maybe you will like harsh winters? Maybe you will decide to pursue the golden apple and head for NY biglaw. If you do, you will be glad you took Mich. If you don't change your mind, chances are that you can jump right back in where you started with a Mich degree. The flexibility of a UCLA degree is lower. Fewer doors will be open if you do change your mind. So if the cost is the same, go for Mich.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:22 pm

It depends on the ratio between you and your SO. You need no more than a 3/5 ratio to stay in Cali for your SO. For example, if you are a 4 and your SO is a 9, that is a 4/9 ratio. That means you stay. If you are a 3 and she is a 4, then you must go. If you are a 6 and she is a 9, the you must go.

However, the exception is if she is like a 12. If she is a 12, then you stay. I don't care how hot you think you are.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 pm

The Brainalist wrote:It depends on the ratio between you and your SO. You need no more than a 3/5 ratio to stay in Cali for your SO. For example, if you are a 4 and your SO is a 9, that is a 4/9 ratio. That means you stay. If you are a 3 and she is a 4, then you must go. If you are a 6 and she is a 9, the you must go.

However, the exception is if she is like a 12. If she is a 12, then you stay. I don't care how hot you think you are.
LOL. A 6 with a 9 = run for the hills?

I'm certainly not considering staying simply for my sig other, she's awesome, but we can make it work from a distance if need be. Being close is just a "pro" as it is shown, and not even near the top of my listed ones.

Seems votes are split, and my mind changes just about every day as well. Thoughts other than simple votes are much appreciated.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Is it safe to assume you'd prefer to work in LA, or would you be interested in practicing IP in SF/Silicon Valley? Just curious.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 pm

weee wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:It depends on the ratio between you and your SO. You need no more than a 3/5 ratio to stay in Cali for your SO. For example, if you are a 4 and your SO is a 9, that is a 4/9 ratio. That means you stay. If you are a 3 and she is a 4, then you must go. If you are a 6 and she is a 9, the you must go.

LOL. A 6 with a 9 = run for the hills?

I'm certainly not considering staying simply for my sig other, she's awesome, but we can make it work from a distance if need be. Being close is just a "pro" as it is shown, and not even near the top of my listed ones.

Seems votes are split, and my mind changes just about every day as well. Thoughts other than simple votes are much appreciated.
If that's the case, it shouldn't even be close. Michigan all the way. If the price is the same, upgrade yourself a little.

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:34 am

FlightoftheEarls wrote:Is it safe to assume you'd prefer to work in LA, or would you be interested in practicing IP in SF/Silicon Valley? Just curious.
70% LA 30% SF for some arbitrary feelings numbers to throw out there.

Puffy

New

Post by Puffy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 am

weee wrote: 70% LA 30% SF for some arbitrary feelings numbers to throw out there.
How do you feel about living among hoodie wearing punks who keep saying strange things like "hella"?

weee

Bronze

Post by weee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:33 am

Puffy wrote:
weee wrote: 70% LA 30% SF for some arbitrary feelings numbers to throw out there.
How do you feel about living among hoodie wearing punks who keep saying strange things like "hella"?
Not really sure but a lot of my friends went to berkeley undergrad and returned with this hella affliction. I never felt the urge to strangle them.

Edit: consulted with a close friend and harvard law grad that now resides in sf. Fwiw he said ucla, primarily due to the fact that I plan to be in LA. He also said ride out th wl at columbia and if I can get it then it is the no brainer choice.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:17 pm

Based on your pros and cons, I'd definitely pick UCLA. It's hard for me to believe that four rank positions currently in favor of Michigan would be worth the trouble of uprooting your life in CA, especially if you eventually want to practice in CA. Unless you want to leave for a change of pace. And I would think that, considering everything I've heard/read about IP, both degrees offer similar portability with your technical background. This issue of degree portability is often used to strongly argue for the T14, and I understand the rationale, but of course there are many practical factors at play. For example, Duke, UVA and Michigan grads end up placing well nationally likely in part because these schools are in or near cities/regions without enough good opportunities for the caliber of grads out of these schools. In contrast, Columbia, Berkeley, etc. grads concentrate in their regions for the opposite reason. The point is that there's more to every school than its ranking and I'd try to visit these schools to make a personal decision if you really can't decide otherwise.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”