Early, but: RU-Camden ($) or Suffolk ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

RU-C($) or Suffolk($$$)?

RU-C
69%
Suffolk
31%

Total votes: 16

dp73816

Bronze

Early, but: RU-Camden ($) or Suffolk ($$$)

Post by dp73816 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:51 pm

There is still a long way to go until seat deposits are due (April 15 for both), but Id like to get some input:

RU-Camden, with their T-100 ranking and a $15,000 scholarship (total) that would bring tuition to 30k for first year and then in-state tuition for 2L and 3L years...

OR

Suffolk, with a $90,000 scholarship (total) that would bring their 41k tuition to about $11,000 for all three years (dont know about in-state possibilities later on)

Like I said, this is still really early, and I have not heard back from many of my top choices...but I want to start formulating ideas and plans for where my life is going. I plan on trying to transfer after my first year, but I know that's a huge MAYBE. My opinion right now is take the ranking at Camden, because I do not know what is going to happen with transferring, and I want to be in the best position possible in regards to jobs, etc. at the end of school.

Thoughts?? Hopefully, one of my top choices comes through, and this little conundrum is all for not...

Vincent Vega

Silver

Re: Early, but: RU-Camden ($) or Suffolk ($$$)

Post by Vincent Vega » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:01 pm

dp73816 wrote:Suffolk, with a $90,000 scholarship (total) that would bring their 41k tuition to about $11,000 for all three years (dont know about in-state possibilities later on)
Suffolk is a private school, thus no in-state discount.

Anyway, I'd go with Rutgers, except that the chance of you getting shot in Camden is much higher than in Boston.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:04 pm

Vincent Vega wrote:
dp73816 wrote:Suffolk, with a $90,000 scholarship (total) that would bring their 41k tuition to about $11,000 for all three years (dont know about in-state possibilities later on)
Suffolk is a private school, thus no in-state discount.

Anyway, I'd go with Rutgers, except that the chance of you getting shot in Camden is much higher than in Boston.
I did not know that...makes sense. Thanks for the input.

about tuition, I mean...not getting shot 8)

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:31 am

anyone??

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:27 pm

...would really appreciate some help guys, just a few moments of your time. This is one of those life-changing events...should I take the money, or ranking? Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CSKNJ

New

Post by CSKNJ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:35 pm

It seems like with your scholarships Suffolk will cost you 33K over three years whereas Rutgers would cost around 55-60K so financially Suffolk makes more sense. Both are similarly ranked with good reputations. I was admitted to Rutgers as an in-state student with the same scholarship and will likely go there unless I end up getting in to Pitt in which I will have a tough choice to make. The more I read and talk to others about Rutgers the better and more underrated it seems. I think this comes down to the money and where you see yourself working after school. If it's Boston/New England then Suffolk if it's Philly/NY area then Rutgers.

dp73816

Bronze

Post by dp73816 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 am

Suffolk is a T3/4, while RU-C is a T1/2...who said they were ranked about the same?? But ya, I guess it does come down to finances, and where I would like to live... I do not know much about the Philly area - is it decent, in terms of large legal firms, etc?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:25 am

dp73816 wrote:Suffolk is a T3/4, while RU-C is a T1/2...who said they were ranked about the same?? But ya, I guess it does come down to finances, and where I would like to live... I do not know much about the Philly area - is it decent, in terms of large legal firms, etc?
Rankings are pretty arbitrary after 30 or so. But I agree... RU has a much better name than Suffolk. RU is at least a decent state school... Suffolk is well... Suffolk.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:34 am

Personally, being from New England, I would go with Suffolk. It may seem crazy to some people here, but Suffolk actually has a pretty good name in New England. Since you are unlikely to be getting a BigLaw gig coming out of either, I would try to minimize debt. If you want to live in New England, it may even give you some better options around there. I can promise you, nobody will be more impressed with Rutgers (over Suffolk) in New England.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm

KMaine wrote:Personally, being from New England, I would go with Suffolk. It may seem crazy to some people here, but Suffolk actually has a pretty good name in New England. Since you are unlikely to be getting a BigLaw gig coming out of either, I would try to minimize debt. If you want to live in New England, it may even give you some better options around there. I can promise you, nobody will be more impressed with Rutgers (over Suffolk) in New England.
Yes... but anywhere in the tri-state area, no one even knows what Suffolk is. Hence regional schools.

Suffolk's issue is that its far far behind Harvard, BC, and BU for Boston... its also below Northeastern. Boston also has the new UMass law school coming into existence soon and Boston is already a really crowded market for everything from law firm to PI.

RU at least has NJ to fall back on - theres only 3 law schools in NJ and RU-Camden > Seton. You won't get biglaw, but I bet have a much better chance of scoring a local gig from RU than Suffolk.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Unless $ is an extreme concern, I'd say go with Rutgers. After the first year, tuition will be lower. You may also qualify for state based financial aid programs in NJ. And Camden's COL is lower than Boston's.

On this site many people believe all schools below the T30 are the same, but they really aren't. Rutgers is very different than Suffolk - they are in no way ranked the same. While they are both regional schools, Suffolk is a T3 and #8 in its region behind Harvard, Yale, BC, BU, U Conn, Northeastern, and U Maine. The new UMass law school will probably outperform Suffolk as well.

On the other hand, Rutgers Camden leads in its immediate region (NJ), and is also well regarded in the Philly job market. There's also less competition for jobs in NJ.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I'll go as far as to say the RU-C doesn't really have much competition in South Jersey as RU-N and SHU are both North Jersey schools (where RU-C can also take you). I mean, there are 'Nova/Temple kids that cross the border, but they tend to be lower down in the class and some kids from Widener (DE), but that's a Tier 4.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”