GW/ND/USC/WUSTL Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What would you do?

WashU (117k)
32%
ND (75k)
10%
GWU (90k + 1 year of housing)
54%
USC (30k)
4%

Total votes: 50

mi-chan17

Bronze

GW/ND/USC/WUSTL

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:24 am

(Scholarship amounts indicate total over three years.)

So, barring anything coming out of my waitlists and still pending at both UCLA and Cornell, these are looking like my top 4 options.

My current goal is to work for the DOJ. I am not particularly picky about where I end up geographically, nor am I overly concerned about the potential for BigLaw. Even if the DOJ thing doesn't pan out, the insanity that is being a BigLaw associate doesn't seem appealing to me.

So, with that in mind, what would you guys do and why?
Last edited by mi-chan17 on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

starsong

Bronze

Re: Please help me choose!

Post by starsong » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:29 am

mi-chan17 wrote:(Scholarship amounts indicate total over three years.)

So, barring anything coming out of my waitlists and still pending at both UCLA and Cornell, these are looking like my top 4 options.

My current goal is to work for the DOJ. I am not particularly picky about where I end up geographically, nor am I overly concerned about the potential for BigLaw. Even if the DOJ thing doesn't pan out, the insanity that is being a BigLaw associate doesn't seem appealing to me.

So, with that in mind, what would you guys do and why?
GWU. D.C. networking + externship during academic year w/fed gvmt are perfect for your career goals.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Re: Please help me choose!

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:47 pm

I was thinking that too, but because of DC's COL WashU would be cheaper (about 60k less debt over three years). ND is on there because...the name is just so pretty - I'm having trouble ignoring the pull of the ND brandname. USC is an option because I'm from Southern CA and my family lives down there (about an hour from the school).

GWU is leading a bit, but I'm still torn.

mi-chan17

Bronze

Re: GW/ND/USC/WUSTL

Post by mi-chan17 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Bumping because I'm still feeling uncomfortable with making a decision.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:50 pm

It looks like we are in similar positions with similar goals, what would you do if you got into, say Cornell? I am starting to think that the DC location might trump T14 in this case -_-

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Teoeo: I currently have no idea what I would do if UCLA or Cornell came knocking. I'd probably have to book a quick flight over to NY, since I've never been to Ithaca. The issue of scholarships v. name would become a serious issue at that point, I think. No idea yet, since I haven't been put into that position and with how Cornell's been handling their deferred EA people, I may never have to. ;)

Thanks to those of you who are voting. Anyone willing to give me the "why" behind your vote?

mi-chan17

Bronze

Post by mi-chan17 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:40 am

Edited to reflect increased scholarship money.

And bumped. That too.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:03 am

It depends how sure you are about your present career goals. If there's only a very small chance you'd change your mind I'd take GW. Otherwise WUSTL. If you are dead set on govt then UCLA would be better than any of your other options given their LRAP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”