Boalt vs NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Boalt or NYU?

Boalt
43%
NYU
57%

Total votes: 60

QualityControl

New

Boalt vs NYU

Post by QualityControl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:35 am

Big but thin(tricky bastards) purple envelope came in the mail today, and now I'm in at NYU. And consequently, I'm stuck with a good decision to make. I haven't been to admitted students weekend at either school yet so that could obviously make my decision easy when the time comes, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you all think.

From California, but have spent a significant amount of time in New York and like it out there as well.

Looking to get into corporate law, not opposed to big law, and would like to find myself practicing internationally at one point.

Family on the west coast so my plans are right now to find myself some on that side of the country when the time comes, but am not absolutely set on that plan.

The change of pace NY would bring is appealing.

Like that Boalt does not seem to be hyper-competitive but not worried about "not cutting it" at NYU.

No $ for either at this point.

Thoughts?
*Boalt haters please don't tell me how much Boalt sucks, unless it's true.

dlac

New

Re: Boalt vs NYU

Post by dlac » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:46 am

Congrats on your acceptance and subsequent dilemma, it is a great one to have. Aside from the fact that you want to go the corporate (and perhaps Big Law route), NYU probably has the connections, alum and market to do it in. Not to mention the personal growth and resume boost that NYU would provide.

That being said, I'm going to Boalt :)

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:10 am

for your situation, i'm going to go with NYU

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 am

You're not set on Cali for employment, you want to get involved in international law, and you said you've enjoyed new york before.. Seems like NYU wins from what I can see. This is from somebody who dreams of going to Berkeley. Good luck deciding!

Rock of Love

New

Post by Rock of Love » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:45 am

I'd go with NYU if you're looking for international portability, and for the other reasons you mentioned. NYU's placement won't be as high on the West Coast percentage wise as Berkeley, but that's due to self-selection. Thus, if firms in the west are looking to diversify among students they hire, it may help being one of the fewer NYU students competing for a job (that's not the strongest reason to choose one over the other, but just pointing it out.)

Overall, definitely visit both campuses and ask lots of questions, get a feel for the student body, etc. to make your final decision. Congrats on two great schools!
Last edited by Rock of Love on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yourdadcalled

New

Post by yourdadcalled » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:09 am

The change of pace NY would bring is appealing.
You say that now. Visit NYU, stay in NYC for a couple of days, and make sure that it's a good fit for you. NYC is a beast.

Ayeshabelle

New

Post by Ayeshabelle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:01 pm

I'm glad to see this post because I have the same dillema in reverse. I'm in at Boalt and NYU and I am from new York, but not terribly committed to either coast (though I want to be on a coast) I want to do legal counsel for a non-profit but mmight join a firm first to gain experience. This is a great dillema, what would you advise?

QualityControl

New

Post by QualityControl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:16 pm

Ayeshabelle wrote:I'm glad to see this post because I have the same dillema in reverse. I'm in at Boalt and NYU and I am from new York, but not terribly committed to either coast (though I want to be on a coast) I want to do legal counsel for a non-profit but mmight join a firm first to gain experience. This is a great dillema, what would you advise?

You start at Boalt, I start at NYU, if we are both wishing we were at the other school, we will talk to admissions and trade places. They'll go for that right? ;)

QualityControl

New

Post by QualityControl » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 pm

And thanks so much for all the suggestions so far girls and guys!

86revolt

Bronze

Post by 86revolt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:48 pm

QualityControl wrote:
Ayeshabelle wrote:I'm glad to see this post because I have the same dillema in reverse. I'm in at Boalt and NYU and I am from new York, but not terribly committed to either coast (though I want to be on a coast) I want to do legal counsel for a non-profit but mmight join a firm first to gain experience. This is a great dillema, what would you advise?

You start at Boalt, I start at NYU, if we are both wishing we were at the other school, we will talk to admissions and trade places. They'll go for that right? ;)

i agree. you guys can always go back to your home market if you don't like the other coast cause being from there gives you an automatic tie to the region. on the other hand, you might fall in love with your new home and never want to leave.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”