Georgetown (PT) vs. UT-Austin (FT) vs. BU ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
VerdiShmerdi

New

Georgetown (PT) vs. UT-Austin (FT) vs. BU ($$)

Post by VerdiShmerdi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Georgetown (Part-time) vs. Texas (FT, No money) vs. BU ($$) vs. [strike]GW (FT, No money)[/strike]

I am also on Michigan's waitlist and part of Cornell's amorphic deferred group.

I currently live in D.C.; I love the city and the opportunities for legal employment that are located here. I am not entirely sure what area I want to practice, but am already sold on the idea of gaining public sector experience early in one's career to get more substantive opportunities sooner rather than later.

With Georgetown's LRAP and D.C. reputation/connections, is this even a contest?

VerdiShmerdi

New

Re: Georgetown (PT) vs. UT-Austin (FT) vs. BU ($$)

Post by VerdiShmerdi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm

Anyone?

iShotFirst

Bronze

Post by iShotFirst » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:29 pm

No contest to me. If I was in a city that I loved and was accepted to the best school in it, I definitely would not be leaving. Assuming you have a job, doing it PT and working will be pretty tough, but the debt will be so much lower than going to Texas full time out of state. If you think you can handle the PT life, this to me isnt even a question.

memaha

Bronze

Post by memaha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Gtown's LRAP is definitely something to think about, and as you said, if PI is what you are already interested in, it should play a large role in ur decision.
Also, if you aren't really looking to be in the South after school, I wouldn't pick UT. Gtown has better placement in general.
BU shouldn't be an option, unless money really is an issue.
You can also pretty easily switch from PT to FT at Gtown after one year (according to some sources I talked to before), I am assuming it is still the same now, but not sure.

apples

New

Post by apples » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Ummm, are you me? I am in the exact same situation with all of those schools, except I didn't apply to Cornell. I also live in D.C. and love the city, but like the idea of living somewhere else for three years and then maybe coming back. I had been hoping for $ from UT but they just rejected my scholarship matching request. I know that transferring from Gtown PT to FT after the first year is fairly easy, but i'm not planning to stay at my job and am not so keen on being a PT student.

Is Georgetown's LRAP a better deal than UT's? I'm not sure that the difference in rankings between BU and UT is worth the difference in debt.

GentlemanJim

Bronze

Post by GentlemanJim » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:16 pm

What were your numbers out of curiosity? I'm waiting to hear back about PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”