ucla v. fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

UCLA or Fordham?

UCLA ($3k)
55%
FORDHAM ($30k)
45%

Total votes: 44

kkl219

New

ucla v. fordham

Post by kkl219 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 pm

m
Last edited by kkl219 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Re: ucla v. fordham

Post by lateforthesky16 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:07 pm

kkl219 wrote:Fordham has offered $10k/year
UCLA has offered $1k/year, but I will qualify for in-state tuition after one year.

I originally wanted to practice law in NYC, but I am willing to consider jobs in LA.

Has anyone done an in-depth look at the costs of these two institutions in regards to expected tuition increases and average COL?

Thx

I'm not familiar with Fordham's tuition, but is UCLA's in-state tuition any cheaper? (obviously I'm guessing their out of state tuition will be a lot more than Fordham's tuition). I'm looking at Hastings/Davis, and it'll be cheaper for me to attend Boston College/BU etc. than Hastings or Davis, given the tuition increases (and I'm in-state!). It's really too bad. Anyway, there are a couple UC tuition increase charts floating around that show in-state tuition creeping into the 40-45k range in the next couple years. Definitely something to consider as you might not be saving any money by going to UCLA in-state. Still, if it were me I'd still probably take UCLA :) Lucky for you, you can't go wrong either way!

kkl219

New

Post by kkl219 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:13 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
kkl219 wrote:Fordham has offered $10k/year
UCLA has offered $1k/year, but I will qualify for in-state tuition after one year.

I originally wanted to practice law in NYC, but I am willing to consider jobs in LA.

Has anyone done an in-depth look at the costs of these two institutions in regards to expected tuition increases and average COL?

Thx

I'm not familiar with Fordham's tuition, but is UCLA's in-state tuition any cheaper? (obviously I'm guessing their out of state tuition will be a lot more than Fordham's tuition). I'm looking at Hastings/Davis, and it'll be cheaper for me to attend Boston College/BU etc. than Hastings or Davis, given the tuition increases (and I'm in-state!). It's really too bad. Anyway, there are a couple UC tuition increase charts floating around that show in-state tuition creeping into the 40-45k range in the next couple years. Definitely something to consider as you might not be saving any money by going to UCLA in-state. Still, if it were me I'd still probably take UCLA :) Lucky for you, you can't go wrong either way!
Thanks. Did anyone see the story linked below? Does this mean their supposed tuition increase won't really take place? Or does it assure it? :) Hard to say. I am also considering BU and WUSTL (and USC if I ever hear back from them), but only if they give substantially higher $$$s than Fordham or UCLA.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/mar/13 ... -2010mar13

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:52 pm

You should decide on Fordham for NYC or UCLA for LA, since neither places well in the other market. UCLA might place a tad better in NYC than Fordham does in LA.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:58 pm

im_blue wrote:You should decide on Fordham for NYC or UCLA for LA, since neither places well in the other market. UCLA might place a tad better in NYC than Fordham does in LA.
I woulda thought that UCLA could place in NY as well as Fordham when it comes to top of the class students interested in biglaw?

Either way you pick, they're good schools, and the scholly at Fordham complicates it.

Im in a very similar situation between UW in state or UCLA, so keep me posted with what you end up deciding.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

EdmundBurke23

Bronze

Post by EdmundBurke23 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 pm

Money's pretty tempting, if you ask me:D

SHARK WEEK!

Bronze

Post by SHARK WEEK! » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:58 am

It depends on the coast: If you want to work/live in California, then UCLA no questions asked. If you want to work/live in NYC, then maybe Fordham, but even so I'd pick UCLA. :wink:

empire84

New

Post by empire84 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:38 pm

toss up

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”