Surfers? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
barrel_bra

New

Re: Surfers?

Post by barrel_bra » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 am

chris0805 wrote:
CROWDS all these cali places other than hastings are super crowded. I don't know much about the crowds on the east coast but would be stoked to find out. I could see all the NYC beaches being super crowded but really don't know. Any east coasters want to drop some knowledge?
NYC beaches are pretty empty after labor day and before May (which is actually when the surf is good and also the time law school is in session). During this time, you can surf anywhere on long island. Now, Montauk or 90th street at rockaway can get crowded, but it's easy to find a spot pretty much all to your self (even if you can only use the subway).

Also, New England is getting more crowded every year, but it's still NOTHING compared to Cali or HI crowds.

Bra, crowding is a NON factor on the Right Coast, with the exception of June-August when all of the weekend warriors come out with their massive long boards. However, if there is 'cane juice in the water, trust me the set waves we clean up any un-necessary kooks. The rest of the year is completely empty, at most I've been in a pack of 10-15 guys at the peak whens it's firing, but compared to 200 in California it's nothing. I'm living in Manhattan, but am a Newport Beach transplant. I scored dbl overhead bombs yesterday on Long Beach with 3 guys out, you can literally pick any wave you want. But like Chris mentioned before don't forget that 6mm, hood, gloves, and booties, if you want a legit sesh.

Also, Chris, are you in Manhattan currently? Always looking for new guys to paddle out with. Let me know.

chris0805

Silver

Post by chris0805 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Definitely in Manhattan right now, and I also have a car on the weekends (long story). We should get together sometime. Unsurprisingly, law school in New York isn't exactly filled with surfers.

I will warn you though, I was never what anyone would confuse for an expert (I ride a fairly thick 6'6 swallow tail and a 9'0 noserider), and 2-3 years of skipping sessions to focus on law school stuff hasn't made me any better. If you're up for a go out, PM me and I'll try to keep up. :D

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Taking the year off to surf?

If you take a year in between undergrad and law school do you need to get a job in a law firm interning? Is it fine to have no job? Is it alright to just move into my parents garage and surf all day?

What do you guys think?

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Mon May 09, 2011 8:10 pm

thought i would necro this thread just in case anyone else has been having to make the tough decision of leaving the coast for law school. i had to do this last week and i decided to stay close to the coast (or as close as i could).

user8116

New

Post by user8116 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:18 pm

I have been trying to decide between Hastings/Ocean Beach and SCU/Steamers for the past month or two. Still can't really seem to make the decision. How did any of you finally make the choice?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:26 pm

just run away to costa rica with your first loan disbursement

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:39 pm

Used to just about everyday I could back when I lived on the beach, lived about 15 minutes away from Sebastian Inlet so me n my friends always ended up there... definitely haven't as much since I'm not on the beach anymore, but hope to make at least a handful of surf trips if at all possible during LS.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Deuce wrote:Used to just about everyday I could back when I lived on the beach, lived about 15 minutes away from Sebastian Inlet so me n my friends always ended up there... definitely haven't as much since I'm not on the beach anymore, but hope to make at least a handful of surf trips if at all possible during LS.
if this was between, say, 1992-2000, we've probably met

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:44 pm

fatduck wrote:
Deuce wrote:Used to just about everyday I could back when I lived on the beach, lived about 15 minutes away from Sebastian Inlet so me n my friends always ended up there... definitely haven't as much since I'm not on the beach anymore, but hope to make at least a handful of surf trips if at all possible during LS.
if this was between, say, 1992-2000, we've probably met
Was definitely making trips there near 2000.... but since I was still in grade school and not yet driving, not nearly as much as say 04-07 haha

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

esq

Silver

Post by esq » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:10 pm

I've started to outgrown (sideways) my short boards anyway, so I figure that if I ever hit VA beach, it'll force me into an overdue long board transition anyway. Most probable scenario: swimming laps will have to get me through a 3 year surfing hiatus.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:31 pm

user8116 wrote:I have been trying to decide between Hastings/Ocean Beach and SCU/Steamers for the past month or two. Still can't really seem to make the decision. How did any of you finally make the choice?
for me it was completely landlocked or still very landlocked. (Nashville vs. dc) I liked Nashville a lot better but at i definitely need to at least think i can go surf on the weekend.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”