Vanderbilt or Fordham Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
manwitaplan

New

Vanderbilt or Fordham

Post by manwitaplan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:55 am

What's a better option???

lawduder

Bronze

Re: Vanderbilt or Fordham

Post by lawduder » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:57 am

vanderbilt

manwitaplan

New

Post by manwitaplan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:59 am

lawduder wrote:vanderbilt

why?

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:01 am

manwitaplan wrote:

why?
Vanderbilt has better national reach, better job placement and Fordham is extremely expensive due to its location.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 am

lawduder wrote:Vanderbilt has better national reach, better job placement and Fordham is extremely expensive due to its location.
Sticker at Fordham is close to 200k. I don't know if you're paying sticker or not, but NYC is just a ridiculously expensive place to live.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gogators

Bronze

Post by gogators » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:17 am

This is stupid. Vandy in a second unless you're committed to living the rest of your career in NYC. Done.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:34 am

It's not stupid. I like Vandy (and I would have enjoyed sharing a school with Observationalist, if only for one year), but for a NYC resident like me, without a car, Fordham makes a lot of sense. The schools are very different in feel, and my guess is that different kinds of people would be happier at one or the other. Vandy has more national reach, but on the other hand, 96% of Fordham students pick the NYC market as their first choice. Yes, seriously. Our dean actually wants more people to consider looking outside the NYC area, because more national employers come to the school when they believe our students have an interest in working nationally. So far I know we have alumni chapters in Boston, south Florida, San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Los Angeles, though many people are stubborn like me and want to stay.

observationalist

Bronze

Post by observationalist » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:55 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:It's not stupid. I like Vandy (and I would have enjoyed sharing a school with Observationalist, if only for one year), but for a NYC resident like me, without a car, Fordham makes a lot of sense. The schools are very different in feel, and my guess is that different kinds of people would be happier at one or the other. Vandy has more national reach, but on the other hand, 96% of Fordham students pick the NYC market as their first choice. Yes, seriously. Our dean actually wants more people to consider looking outside the NYC area, because more national employers come to the school when they believe our students have an interest in working nationally. So far I know we have alumni chapters in Boston, south Florida, San Francisco, Palo Alto, and Los Angeles, though many people are stubborn like me and want to stay.
OS! What's happening? We're on break right now and I'm spending it at the NYU Law library doing work, which is underground. As much as I appreciate their innovative use of space in a crowded part of the city, I don't like the idea of spending most of my law school days in a cave. How does Fordham's compare?

As far as job prospects go, any news yet on whether the school is going to start releasing employment lists? I haven't given you an update but we talked to a highly influential legal blogger last week and it sounds like our project is going to get some press when we're ready to launch. Very exciting. Trying to finish the final edits now so we can shop the paper for publication and then get back to actually contacting the schools in the next few months. We may have some work for interested people to do over the summer.

flyhigh_

New

Post by flyhigh_ » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Vandy.

Higher ranked and a better law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:51 pm

It depends on your goals. For instance, if you would like to gain legal employment, Vandy is the better choice. If you would like to spend three years in NYC, go with Fordham.

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:55 pm

KMaine wrote:It depends on your goals. For instance, if you would like to gain legal employment, Vandy is the better choice. If you would like to spend three years in NYC, go with Fordham.
Lol.

beesknees

Bronze

Post by beesknees » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:15 pm

KMaine wrote:It depends on your goals. For instance, if you would like to gain legal employment, Vandy is the better choice. If you would like to spend three years in NYC, go with Fordham.
+1 :lol:

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Post by insidethetwenty » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 am

manwitaplan wrote:What's a better option???
This answer is going to depend largely on your regional preferences, aversion to debt, scholarship money, etc. etc.

Ceteris Paribus, Vanderbilt.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:22 pm

Vandy x infinite.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”