Houston v. Maryland for Biotech IP law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Houston v. Maryland

Houston
70%
Maryland
30%

Total votes: 10

utswdukie80

New

Houston v. Maryland for Biotech IP law

Post by utswdukie80 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:54 pm

I hope I can garner some helpful advice/information by posting this, so here goes...

I'm still awaiting word from other schools, but it looks like I'm going to have to choose between Houston and Maryland. I haven't received any scholarship offers from either yet, so I'm assuming I'll be paying sticker at both. I'm a Texas resident with a BS in Biochem and an MS in Genetics and I'd like to do Biotech IP law. I'd like to do BigLaw, but I'm aware the possibility of that happening at these two schools is pretty slim. I'm pretty indifferent to living in either Houston or Baltimore and I'm fairly debt averse. If I'm forgetting any information that would be helpful don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

flyhigh_

New

Re: Houston v. Maryland for Biotech IP law

Post by flyhigh_ » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:07 pm

Houston!!!

Very strong regional school and it is improving every year. Their research in Health law is stellar.!!!

dreman510

Bronze

Post by dreman510 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:09 pm

utswdukie80 wrote:I hope I can garner some helpful advice/information by posting this, so here goes...

I'm still awaiting word from other schools, but it looks like I'm going to have to choose between Houston and Maryland. I haven't received any scholarship offers from either yet, so I'm assuming I'll be paying sticker at both. I'm a Texas resident with a BS in Biochem and an MS in Genetics and I'd like to do Biotech IP law. I'd like to do BigLaw, but I'm aware the possibility of that happening at these two schools is pretty slim. I'm pretty indifferent to living in either Houston or Baltimore and I'm fairly debt averse. If I'm forgetting any information that would be helpful don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!
Realize that because you want Biotech, you want an area with a large patent practices. Houston certainly has that, and while Baltimore doesnt, DC certainly takes the cake with that. Maryland does place into DC, but only if your top...
I would go to Houston, its an easier market to break into, your #2 in the city after UT, and it has a solid reputation

utswdukie80

New

Post by utswdukie80 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:56 pm

dreman510 wrote:
utswdukie80 wrote:I hope I can garner some helpful advice/information by posting this, so here goes...

Thanks!
Realize that because you want Biotech, you want an area with a large patent practices. Houston certainly has that, and while Baltimore doesnt, DC certainly takes the cake with that. Maryland does place into DC, but only if your top...
I would go to Houston, its an easier market to break into, your #2 in the city after UT, and it has a solid reputation
Yeah, I've looked into it pretty deeply and I keep coming up with Houston. I was just wondering if I'm omitting something from my analysis that would favor UMD. Aside from the higher USNWR ranking and the name on the degree sounds better, I'm having a hard time seeing Maryland being the pick.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”