Rutgers N vs. SHU $$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Rutgers N or SHU$$?

Rutgers N
88%
SHU
13%

Total votes: 8

goosen

New

Rutgers N vs. SHU $$

Post by goosen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:10 pm

NJ resident, I was leaning towards Rutgers N but SHU gave me a sweet scholarship so now it's slightly less expensive than R-N (about 5K difference). There is a gpa stip of top half of the class. Any thoughts?

dakatz

Gold

Re: Rutgers N vs. SHU $$

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:12 pm

goosen wrote:NJ resident, I was leaning towards Rutgers N but SHU gave me a sweet scholarship so now it's slightly less expensive than R-N (about 5K difference). There is a gpa stip of top half of the class. Any thoughts?
Be wary of that top half requirement. They could easily just stack the section with the brightest kids, and your scholarship could disappear very quickly.

goosen

New

Post by goosen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 pm

yeah it's tricky.... i've asked myself if i would be willing to pay sticker for Seton Hall.. a resounding, unwavering no. and I'm nervous about the job prospects as compared to Rutgers. But then again if I ended up in the bottom half at Seton Hall... well... yeah.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:23 pm

Yeah I definitely think Rutgers is the better bet. They have very manageable tuition once you are in-state. Also, Rutgers has a wonderful reputation in this area and is certainly NJ's premier law school. You would be surprised how well Rutgers grads do for NJ clerkships since the only competition is Seton Hall.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Rutgers Newark and never look back. The risky possibility of paying full tuition (which is pricey) at Seton Hall is not worth the benefit of saving $5k a year. Also, Rutgers seems to be regarded as the better of the two schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:33 pm

JOThompson wrote:Rutgers Newark and never look back. The risky possibility of paying full tuition (which is pricey) at Seton Hall is not worth the benefit of saving $5k a year. Also, Rutgers seems to be regarded as the better of the two schools.
I would agree with this. As a NJ resident, I was very impressed with Rutgers when I visited and if my higher choice schools don't pan out, I will be very very happy going there. I do have a friend that is a 3L at SHU and loves it (she has a clerkship in NJ lined up next year and it not at the top of the class), but I've also heard horror stories about the competition.

What are your numbers? Dean Walton is super nice if you can present a compelling reason to get more $$.

goosen

New

Post by goosen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 pm

thanks for all the advice, keg411 i'll pm you my info.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”