UM vs FSU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
snuggleuffagus

New

UM vs FSU

Post by snuggleuffagus » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:57 pm

No word from UF yet(supposedly coming last week of march)..which is annoying and FSU deadline is April 1.

Here goes...

UM + 20K a yr + NO Living Expenses (assuming I keep a 3.2) = roughly $43,000 cheaper than FSU or $3,000 If i would lose scholly for 2nd and 3rd year.

Where would you choose? Why?

Gracias

gwuorbust

Gold

Re: UM vs FSU

Post by gwuorbust » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:14 pm

well I would rather graduate at the U w/ 60k in debt than 100k in debt at FSU.

Also, would you rather be in Miami or Tallahassee?

lawduder

Bronze

Post by lawduder » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:32 pm

I'd go to UM.

snuggleuffagus

New

Post by snuggleuffagus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:15 pm

ne1 else?

gator08

New

Post by gator08 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:50 pm

I'm going to the U over FSU for a couple reasons. I received a $23,000/yr scholly provided I maintain a 3.2 and FSU is in Tallahassee.

Job prospects are going to be very similiar and I would rather come out with substantially less debt and spend my free time in Miami than the pan handle.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yurip121

New

Post by Yurip121 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:41 am

Hey snuggleuffagus! Im in the exact same situation!
UM offered me a 22/yr assuming i maintain a 3.2 GPA. I was leaning towards FSU but now that i have done some research im concerned what my job prospects would be like in Southern Florida(which is where i want to practice after graduation). However, a huge concern of mine is the fact that i must maintain a 3.2 GPA. After doing an internet search i came across a website that stated that the curve at UM is 2.7 which is lower than the average 3.0 across other state schools. If that is the case, then our scholarship is a suckers bet because it will be extremely difficult to maintain a 3.2, not to mention the anxiety and immense pressure that we would have to endure. If you dont mind, shoot me your email we can discuss our dilemma a bit further. Anyone else that can add to the post, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:45 am

Yurip121 wrote:Hey snuggleuffagus! Im in the exact same situation!
UM offered me a 22/yr assuming i maintain a 3.2 GPA. I was leaning towards FSU but now that i have done some research im concerned what my job prospects would be like in Southern Florida(which is where i want to practice after graduation). However, a huge concern of mine is the fact that i must maintain a 3.2 GPA. After doing an internet search i came across a website that stated that the curve at UM is 2.7 which is lower than the average 3.0 across other state schools. If that is the case, then our scholarship is a suckers bet because it will be extremely difficult to maintain a 3.2, not to mention the anxiety and immense pressure that we would have to endure. If you dont mind, shoot me your email we can discuss our dilemma a bit further. Anyone else that can add to the post, your feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
I read that UM changed their curve last year and it's higher now. But I could be wrong.

Anyway, to the OP: since UM would be cheaper either way, go to UM.

snuggleuffagus

New

Post by snuggleuffagus » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:17 pm

Normally I don't accept Russian Advice. LOL. @ UM it will be easy to beat out all those kids.. They are all just dumb rich kids with like 155 LSAT.. + I know the data is probably skewed as half the kids go work for daddy outta law school... but Miami's median private sector salary at 100k vs.. 60k FSU..

What what in the butt... + Steal books from FIU Library!

Tuyarp

Bronze

Post by Tuyarp » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:44 pm

snuggleuffagus wrote:Normally I don't accept Russian Advice. LOL. @ UM it will be easy to beat out all those kids.. They are all just dumb rich kids with like 155 LSAT..
That's a dangerous assumption.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:26 pm

Tuyarp wrote:
snuggleuffagus wrote:Normally I don't accept Russian Advice. LOL. @ UM it will be easy to beat out all those kids.. They are all just dumb rich kids with like 155 LSAT..
That's a dangerous assumption.
yeah that is a dangerous assumption. LSAT=/= performance in LS. While it is useful, it is only about 50% predictive of LS performance. There is a large amount of chance involved.

snuggleuffagus

New

Post by snuggleuffagus » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:16 pm

Living in Miami for most of my life kinda makes me feel that such an assumption isn't so dangerous..

I still dunno tho, FSU sounds refreshing

Yurip121

New

Post by Yurip121 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:15 pm

LMAO. Alec, im impressed; never thought id find you lurking on these forums. Nonetheless, this is funny. we are in the exact same situation. im still waiting for UF as well. Lets go take over FSU. BTW when you talk about FSU being more expensive than UM i don’t know what you're talking about: FSU = 15k/yr tuition + 15k living expenses and room = 30k / yr, while UM, assuming you maintain that elusive 3.2 would be 20k tuition + 10k living expenses(even though your not paying room, you still have to cover gas and food and other nonsense at Miami prices which = 30k anyway. If you happen to lose the scholly lets make that 50k/yr for the last 2 years. How is that any cheaper than FSU?

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:27 pm

snuggleuffagus wrote:Living in Miami for most of my life kinda makes me feel that such an assumption isn't so dangerous..

I still dunno tho, FSU sounds refreshing
You realize, of course, that the intelligent population of Miami is not going to be proportional to the student body at U of Miami Law?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

renata96

New

Post by renata96 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:54 pm

I went to Miami undergrad, best city ever, whereas FSU is going to be a very fratty school, definitely UM. Not to mention there's probably more UM alumni in the area than FSU alumns so better shot at jobs.

snuggleuffagus

New

Post by snuggleuffagus » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:14 pm

i wasn't really planning on paying for anything granny pants... but FSU is the better school.. so lets hit it

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”