Life decisions: Part 1 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
yeahyeah2121

New

Life decisions: Part 1

Post by yeahyeah2121 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:05 am

Here's the deal. I took the LSAT in the fall, got a low 160-something, and have a high GPA >3.85 from a good school. So far I've gotten into Temple, Rutgers-Camden, Penn State, and was waitlisted at Brooklyn. I'm really kind of set on NYC, but unless God himself writes me a new LOR for Fordham and I get in, or Brooklyn decides to show me some love in oh.. I don't know, June, it doesn't look like it's going to pan out this year. For the first time I'm seriously considering working next year, but there's a littleee bit of a problem. I will be a poli sci major looking to find a job in NYC.... :oops: Does anyone know of a job type that I could look into that doesn't include asking "Can I get you a refill?" everyday. Really, I already do enough of that in the summer. Legal secretary jobs seem appealing, but most of the job descriptions that I've read ask for 2+ years of paralegal experience in a particular field of law. I, a lowly undegrad, do not fit that requirement. Is this type of job realistic? I'd much prefer to work for a non-profit for a year, but I'm also looking to support myself. Any help / suggestions / kick in the butt comments?

leftofthedial

New

Re: Life decisions: Part 1

Post by leftofthedial » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:23 am

I don't know...it sounds like you're 22...a great time to be struggling in NYC. Pay bills however you can and enjoy your time out there. Volunteer. Have fun. Go to shows. Be dumb. You'll regret not doing that...

Campagnolo

Silver

Post by Campagnolo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 am

Asking if they want to supersize that is a fantastic way of preparing for law school. You'll want it more than any of the trust fund babies all around you.

glowhard

New

Post by glowhard » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 am

yeahyeah2121 wrote:Legal secretary jobs seem appealing, but most of the job descriptions that I've read ask for 2+ years of paralegal experience in a particular field of law.
do that.

or, you're a polisci major with a really high gpa coming out of a good school, trust yourself a little to get whatever kind of job you want. legal aid offices need people (you said you were into nonprofits), as does.... well, everyone else. the economy's bad, but there is still work to be found. i think people are hearing back from like 1 out of every 20 jobs they apply for, so if you're serious about finding work, i'd get going.

also, i don't know you, but it seems like if you're thinking of not going to law school so you can work a desk job in a particular city, you might not have wanted to go to law school that much in the first place. you can always apply again later... i'd just move to new york and have a good time.

yeahyeah2121

New

Post by yeahyeah2121 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:52 am

Last edited by yeahyeah2121 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

yeahyeah2121

New

Last edited by yeahyeah2121 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

yeahyeah2121

New

Thanks guys. Law school has always been my goal, and I this cycle I am going to have options, I just don't know if they're the options that I'd be most happy with. The reason why I asked for job suggestions for next year is because I think could get what I "want" next cycle with 2-4 point increase. I just know that I'm capable of doing better on the LSAT, and at this point a retake would require me to sit out for a year. I would prefer to do something at least related to law, but understand there aren't that many opportunities out there for recent grads. My friend just turned me on to a site with a slew of government job listings so maybe I'll find something there. Thanks for the input.

EDIT: My computer just went insane and decided to post this three times. Hence, the deleted comments above.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”