Sending in a LOCI before decision? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ochrymb

New

Sending in a LOCI before decision?

Post by ochrymb » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:41 pm

what do you all think about sending in a letter of continued interest before admissions' has reached a decision?

I'm debating sending a LOCI to better my chances at a few schools I have not heard from yet.

Thanks!

Headybrah

Bronze

Re: Sending in a LOCI before decision?

Post by Headybrah » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:46 pm

interested in this topic as well

ochrymb

New

Post by ochrymb » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Yeah, i figured there would be interest.

quetzalcoatl

Bronze

Post by quetzalcoatl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:38 pm

Usually you should only send an LOCI after a decision has been made or after three or so months complete with no response.

Thats the conventional wisdom, but this late in the cycle it might not be a bad idea to send an loci to a school if you have something substantive to update or want to throw the hail-mary ("I will withdraw all other apps if accepted"). Ive always thought you might as well try to keep yourself from getting WL with an loci, but make sure you actually have something of importance to tell them. AdComms dont like reading extra stuff if its just BS.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm of the opinion that you can (and arguably should) send one if you haven't heard back from the school in a while (in any way, shape, or form). Schools will add the letter to their file, and will take note of your interest. Schools are trying to craft the best incoming class, and if they believe that you will attend if admitted, it helps make their decision that much easier.

fwiw I sent Stanford a LOCI at a random time in Jaunary and did not send Michigan one after being quasi-held. I got into Stanford and was WL'd at Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:00 pm

BioEBear2010 wrote:I'm of the opinion that you can (and arguably should) send one if you haven't heard back from the school in a while (in any way, shape, or form). Schools will add the letter to their file, and will take note of your interest. Schools are trying to craft the best incoming class, and if they believe that you will attend if admitted, it helps make their decision that much easier.

fwiw I sent Stanford a LOCI at a random time in Jaunary and did not send Michigan one after being quasi-held. I got into Stanford and was WL'd at Michigan.
I second this. It can especially be beneficial for schools that don't often go to the WL (as in, use it as a soft reject); at those schools you really want to make sure you make your pitch as much as possible before you get the WL of death.

ochrymb

New

Post by ochrymb » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:45 pm

Great advice. I think I am going to go ahead a shoot one to Memphis. I have not heard from them in awhile.

Again, thanks everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”