UCLA full tuition vs. Duke $25k annual vs. Berkeley sticker Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
daesonesb

Bronze

Re: UCLA full tuition vs. Duke $25k annual vs. Berkeley sticker

Post by daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:41 pm

ViP wrote: By the way... Forget about Duke... This should be Boalt vs. UCLA.
+1
If you are from/like California, you are unlikely to enjoy the extreme southerness of Duke. It is home of the archetypal southern douchebag.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:49 pm

daesonesb wrote:
+1
If you are from/like California, you are unlikely to enjoy the extreme southerness of Duke. It is home of the archetypal southern douchebag.
Lol please describe him.

OP, if you got 105k from UCLA, you have a great shot at some $$ from Berkeley.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:55 pm

Core wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
+1
Lol please describe him.

First, agreed that UCLA money is a bargaining potential at berkeley. That's alot of money!

Second: You know who I'm talking about. When he isn't wearing his duke shirt, he has on pastel/light colored polo shirts, cargo shorts, backwards duke hat, smoke marlboro lights, drives a trailblazer and LOVES dave matthews band and Jimmy Buffet.

EDIT: i'm not dissing all this. When I lived in the South, I had friends like this, and they were good peoples. I just think that someone who is a west coaster at heart might have some trouble adjusting.
Last edited by daesonesb on Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jen_said

New

Post by jen_said » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

BERKELEY

live the dream for all of us who can't.

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:58 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Core wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
+1
Lol please describe him.

First, agreed that UCLA money is a bargaining potential at berkeley. That's alot of money!

Second: You know who I'm talking about. When he isn't wearing his duke shirt, he has on pastel/light colored polo shirts, cargo shorts, backwards duke hat, smoke marlboro lights, drives a trailblazer and LOVES dave matthews band and Jimmy Buffet.
I'm guessing there won't be many, if any, of these folks at Duke Law School.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 pm

thickfreakness wrote: I'm guessing there won't be many, if any, of these folks at Duke Law School.
But Duke law school is at Duke. It's just the culture of the surrounding area that would be alien to the OP I'd say.

roadkilllaw

New

Post by roadkilllaw » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:03 pm

SweeneyTodd wrote:
Lermontov wrote:I saw something posted in a thread recently about Berkeley's scholarships.

They have a full, official match program that includes all of the T14 except Northwestern.

Enjoy Berkeley with 25k/year
I read the same thing. It's in this thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=111317

The post specifically said: Students admitted to Berkeley Law that have also received a scholarship offer from one of the 12 law schools listed below can apply for a Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship.

Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Georgetown University
Harvard University
New York University
Stanford University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Virginia
Yale University

I don't know the specifics, but according to this you should be able to get at least $25K from Boalt
OP, I'd really consider researching this! You could probably use the UCLA $$$ as leverage too!

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm calling bullshit on every person who's telling OP to go to Berkeley, and I don't care the kind of backlash I'm going to receive for putting that so bluntly. There is no way in Hell that the somewhat better career prospects at Berkeley justify the immense amount of debt that the OP will have at the end of law school by paying sticker price as opposed to attending a top 20 law school and coming out of it without any debt. Let the criticism rain down on me, I don't care, a full ride at ANY top 20 school trumps sticker price at ANY top 20 school. Ask someone who's older, as in like a person in their 40's and beyond, how much they enjoy being in debt. Resident tuition, RESIDENT TUITION, at Berkeley, is 35K. Prepare to pay that amount of money, plus living expenses, until the day you die, buddy. But, hey, it is your dream school!

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:08 pm

scionb4 wrote:I'm calling bullshit on every person who's telling OP to go to Berkeley, and I don't care the kind of backlash I'm going to receive for putting that so bluntly. There is no way in Hell that the somewhat better career prospects at Berkeley justify the immense amount of debt that the OP will have at the end of law school by paying sticker price as opposed to attending a top 20 law school and coming out of it without any debt. Let the criticism rain down on me, I don't care, a full ride at ANY top 20 school trumps sticker price at ANY top 20 school. Ask someone who's older, as in like a person in their 40's and beyond, how much they enjoy being in debt. Resident tuition, RESIDENT TUITION, at Berkeley, is 35K. Prepare to pay that amount of money, plus living expenses, until the day you die, buddy. But, hey, it is your dream school!
You crazy.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:09 pm

scionb4 wrote:I'm calling bullshit on every person who's telling OP to go to Berkeley, and I don't care the kind of backlash I'm going to receive for putting that so bluntly. There is no way in Hell that the somewhat better career prospects at Berkeley justify the immense amount of debt that the OP will have at the end of law school by paying sticker price as opposed to attending a top 20 law school and coming out of it without any debt. Let the criticism rain down on me, I don't care, a full ride at ANY top 20 school trumps sticker price at ANY top 20 school. Ask someone who's older, as in like a person in their 40's and beyond, how much they enjoy being in debt. Resident tuition, RESIDENT TUITION, at Berkeley, is 35K. Prepare to pay that amount of money, plus living expenses, until the day you die, buddy. But, hey, it is your dream school!
woah. someone needs to hug some shit out. or, did your march madness team lose?

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:13 pm

miamiman wrote:
woah. someone needs to hug some shit out. or, did your march madness team lose?
I'm guessing he's a Cardinals fan.

Puffy

New

Post by Puffy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:43 pm

I wouldn't go to any UC outside of Berkeley right now, and even then I would only go to Berkeley if I had no comparable options. However Duke is not by any stretch of imagination a comparable option to Berkeley, and as cold and ugly and dirty as Berkeley is, Durham is the armpit of the world. There is no way 25k a year is enough to drag me out of California to attend an inferior school.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:57 pm

daesonesb wrote:
Core wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
+1
Lol please describe him.

EDIT: i'm not dissing all this. When I lived in the South, I had friends like this, and they were good peoples. I just think that someone who is a west coaster at heart might have some trouble adjusting.
Haha, I've never lived anywhere other than NYC, and while I've traveled to a number of countries throughout Europe, South America, etc., I've never been father south in the U.S. than D.C. (except for one quick trip to Disney World :) ). So I wasn't fully aware of the (hilarious) stereotype.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:04 pm

Go to Berkeley, even at sticker.

Two exit options:

(1) High-paying biglaw job, debt is not crushing, overly burdensome, or unmanageable.

(2) Work for the gov or PI, love your life, see the difference you're making in other people's lives, take full advantage of one of the nation's best LRAP (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/194.htm) programs, win at life.

The end.

dcm81

New

Post by dcm81 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:06 pm

I'd go to UCLA but I can understand why one would go to Boalt. Great school and you'll pretty much get to do anything you want with your degree. UCLA isn't far off in prestige though. But the full scholarship is a pretty big deal when you are going to be paying 200 thousand sticker price over three years.

Puffy

New

Post by Puffy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:50 pm

Reminds of my college days back in Charlottesville. You just have to switch out the Duke shirt with UVA shirt (or UVA Law) and add to it sports coat and hideous UVA necktie on the days when there's football games.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:05 pm

If OP wants CA biglaw, then clueless 0L thinks:

Berkeley >>> Dook >> UCLA

I was always under the impression that Duke + CA ties does better in LA than UCLA/USC. Honestly, the NLJ250 placement stats for UCLA/USC even in the good days just don't even compare to Dook's. Dunno how much the NLJ250 underrates west coast placement, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:06 pm

daesonesb wrote:
+1
This is deserving of a facepalm. About 10% of our alums are from/in California, California is the most represented state in my class, and Duke is pretty much unbelievably chill for a law school in terms of atmosphere. The surrounding area has great barbecue, pretty good other dining, a solid bar scene, and Chapel Hill a short drive away. We also have the Durham Bulls and Duke and UNC basketball, as well as the Carolina Hurricanes down the road. If you're an artsy type, we have that too, including an on campus art gallery and a performing arts center downtown. Raleigh is also very close by. Southern douchebags? Big swing and a miss, but we can all thank the undergrads, Tucker Max, ATL, and GQ for that one. Frankly the undergrads aren't even as bad as they're made out to be either. And while I can see advocating for Cal or UCLA, "unlikely to enjoy the extreme southerness of Duke" is just a retarded, stereotypical, and frankly untrue reason to decide against giving a school consideration.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:07 pm

<awaits Bosque>

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
+1
This is deserving of a facepalm. About 10% of our alums are from/in California, California is the most represented state in my class, and Duke is pretty much unbelievably chill for a law school in terms of atmosphere. The surrounding area has great barbecue, pretty good other dining, a solid bar scene, and Chapel Hill a short drive away. We also have the Durham Bulls and Duke and UNC basketball, as well as the Carolina Hurricanes down the road. If you're an artsy type, we have that too, including an on campus art gallery and a performing arts center downtown. Raleigh is also very close by. Southern douchebags? Big swing and a miss, but we can all thank the undergrads, Tucker Max, ATL, and GQ for that one. Frankly the undergrads aren't even as bad as they're made out to be either. And while I can see advocating for Cal or UCLA, "unlikely to enjoy the extreme southerness of Duke" is just a retarded, stereotypical, and frankly untrue reason to decide against giving a school consideration.
I can see the LS not being like this. The undergrad part of Duke is really fratty though. I've heard from several friends that frats like this http://www.duke.edu/web/dsphi/ or SAE definitely have a strong presence on campus and like it or not, Duke LS is at Duke's campus... so I think the point is valid.

You're right, it's not a good reason to not attend Duke. I'm only speaking from personal experience when I say that coming to the South as an outsider can cause a bigger case of culture shock than you'd expect, given that you aren't even leaving your own country. I've gotten the same thing from Kentucky friends of mine who visited me in Washington. People in the South just do things differently than the west coast and vice versa. I dont think you can deny that.

Core

Silver

Post by Core » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:39 pm

daesonesb wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
+1
I can see the LS not being like this. The undergrad part of Duke is really fratty though. I've heard from several friends that frats like this http://www.duke.edu/web/dsphi/ or SAE definitely have a strong presence on campus and like it or not, Duke LS is at Duke's campus... so I think the point is valid.

You're right, it's not a good reason to not attend Duke. I'm only speaking from personal experience when I say that coming to the South as an outsider can cause a bigger case of culture shock than you'd expect, given that you aren't even leaving your own country. I've gotten the same thing from Kentucky friends of mine who visited me in Washington. People in the South just do things differently than the west coast and vice versa. I dont think you can deny that.
I thought that fraternity was a joke for a good 10 minutes. Holy shit lmao.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:40 pm

I'd jump in and say both posters ^ are making valid points.

Duke is a douchebag school. That is a subjective evaluation of course, but barely. Having said that, it is easy to start conflating a school's UG reputation with its law school, which we're all smart enough to know is just downright faulty. Duke Law School is still douchey, but I'd say much less douchey than the UG.

-HL

Also, my vote is unequivocally for UCLA. Boalt at sticker, are you kidding me?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:26 pm

daesonesb wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:
+1

Maybe it's just me, but Durham was not a difficult transition in any way, shape, or form.
Hopefullawstudent wrote:I'd jump in and say both posters ^ are making valid points.

Duke is a douchebag school. That is a subjective evaluation of course, but barely. Having said that, it is easy to start conflating a school's UG reputation with its law school, which we're all smart enough to know is just downright faulty. Duke Law School is still douchey, but I'd say much less douchey than the UG.
I don't understand this^.
DSP Web Site wrote:We specialize in all things fratty.
<facepalm>

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:39 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
SHARK WEEK! wrote:
miamiman wrote:can someone point me to the suggestion that only 10% at ucla was safe?

i would have guessed top 1/3. conservatively.
There is no figure showing 10%. That's something the troll fairy cooked up.. It is top 1/3, and even that is somewhat conservative.

Placement proportions are BS anyways as a much more accurate figure would be the percentage of people who secured BigLaw AND who were looking for BigLaw. UCLA has a ton of PI people, people looking to do academics, and people going into think-tanks. I'd guess that about 50%+ of people who wanted BigLaw got it. (That's still dismal, but so was the economy).

If you are going to troll it up with me here, just look at the NLJ rankings this year (I have a paper copy of it). UCLA places right where it should be: at around #15, and then there's Yale, placed right below it. That should speak to the relevance of the "BigLaw placement statistic" - it's not very relevant in many cases.
You can't go by 2009 data, because they OCI'd in 2007.

We need OCI data for those who did OCI in 2009. Anyone know how many 2L's at ULCA got market paying SA gigs?
No, we need OCI data for 2011 for a realistic assesment of OPs biglaw chances out of UCLA.

Grad09

New

Post by Grad09 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:50 pm

I've been living in california for about a year now. I moved from the east coast, where the UCs are unheard of. Here, its a different story.

From what I have heard, the UCs are the best schools in Cali. Hands down. (stanford aside) UCLA is allegedly the hegemon of the south california legal market, while berkeley and stanford triumph in the north.

Honestly, there may be a difference in employment prospects, but I suspect its minimal. I think it matters more what you do DURING law school to secure that job.

UCLA w/105K is RIDICULOUS money for a RIDICULOUSly competitive school. So you don't go to your dream school? Big deal. You can say you got in to your dream school, but ITE you took the free ride at UCLA. OR you can run the risk of not getting that biglaw job and figuring out how to pay back 1600 a month solely on law school loans while living comfortably.

You won't exactly be scoffed at or frowned upon. You'll be more than fine.

UCLA

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”