Law Schools (And Centers) Not on the Main Campus Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tallboone

Bronze

Law Schools (And Centers) Not on the Main Campus

Post by tallboone » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Pros/Cons? Which would you prefer?

td6624

Silver

Re: Law Schools (And Centers) Not on the Main Campus

Post by td6624 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 pm

I'm not attending any of these, but Northwestern, DePaul, and Loyola-Chicago all benefit, in my opinion, from being separate from their main campuses. Evanston and Lincoln Park are nice and all (I don't remember much about where Loyola's main campus is...), but the locations of the law schools can't be beat.

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Depends on whether you see mingling with the undergrads as a good or bad thing. If the school I end up at (0L here) has a cool fun undergraduate body, then i think it might be a nice break from the stress of law school to have other students around. But i might feel very differently if I get to law school and just find myself annoyed by them.

Proximity to facilities is also an issue. For example, based on what I read in their pamphlet, BC students have to trek 2 miles to the main campus for the gym, a lot of dining halls, etc and that could get annoying.

Rand M.

Silver

Post by Rand M. » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:Proximity to facilities is also an issue. For example, based on what I read in their pamphlet, BC students have to trek 2 miles to the main campus for the gym, a lot of dining halls, etc and that could get annoying.
I think facilities are the most major consideration. Especially since when you visit everything will seem much closer to everything else because you will likely have on your rose-colored glasses. After a few weeks of moving between locations (especially in a place with a climate that is less than desirable) tolerance can quickly become annoyance.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm

newyorklaw23 wrote:Depends on whether you see mingling with the undergrads as a good or bad thing. If the school I end up at (0L here) has a cool fun undergraduate body, then i think it might be a nice break from the stress of law school to have other students around. But i might feel very differently if I get to law school and just find myself annoyed by them.

Proximity to facilities is also an issue. For example, based on what I read in their pamphlet, BC students have to trek 2 miles to the main campus for the gym, a lot of dining halls, etc and that could get annoying.
There is a shuttle at BC that connects the two campuses that runs very often and takes all of 5 minutes to get from one campus to the other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm

td6624 wrote:I'm not attending any of these, but Northwestern, DePaul, and Loyola-Chicago all benefit, in my opinion, from being separate from their main campuses. Evanston and Lincoln Park are nice and all (I don't remember much about where Loyola's main campus is...), but the locations of the law schools can't be beat.
+1

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm

This is actually a big deal to me and one of the reasons I didn't apply to GULC. I just feel that the main campus will always have more things to do and more life to it.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:27 pm

It honestly doesn't matter to me that much. It wasn't a consideration as to where I applied nor which school I ended up choosing. All other things equal, though, I suppose I prefer being at the main campus, only because I love college athletics and being closer to campus means getting to games easier.

newyorklaw23

New

Post by newyorklaw23 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:29 pm

dakatz wrote:
newyorklaw23 wrote:Depends on whether you see mingling with the undergrads as a good or bad thing. If the school I end up at (0L here) has a cool fun undergraduate body, then i think it might be a nice break from the stress of law school to have other students around. But i might feel very differently if I get to law school and just find myself annoyed by them.

There is a shuttle at BC that connects the two campuses that runs very often and takes all of 5 minutes to get from one campus to the other.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was reading up on BC this weekend, and when I read that part about the facilites being 2 miles away on the main campus it worried me a bit. Going back and forth, combined with the Boston winters...i'm not sure how much I would enjoy that, but I suppose i'll have to visit and see for myself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”