Age Old Question... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Compaq1984

Bronze

Age Old Question...

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:22 pm

T2 at sticker (not $40k/yr--more like 30k/yr or less) or T3 for basically FREE or <$10k/yr?

Both would probably only place regionally anyways but the idea of having little or no debt and going to a "lower ranked" school is intriguing... I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death but I'm particularly interested now that I will be facing this dilemma.

Any input.......?

:shock:

twert

Bronze

Re: Age Old Question...

Post by twert » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:23 pm

depends on the schools

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 pm

twert wrote:depends on the schools
TTT & TTTT aren't going to have any difference only in virtue of their TTT or TTTT status. ID your career goals, ask people who hire in that field if your prospects will be any different with a good showing from each school. If so, it may not be very much; so figure out your right balance. If not, take the $$$. :-) ... Done!

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:35 pm

They are all basically in the MidA region and the T2s are ranked 60's and up....T3s are in the same general region... All schools place relatively well in their immediate areas... Problem is that some "areas" are not exactly bustling cities...

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm

Mattalones wrote:
TTT & TTTT aren't going to have any difference only in virtue of their TTT or TTTT status. ID your career goals, ask people who hire in that field if your prospects will be any different with a good showing from each school. If so, it may not be very much; so figure out your right balance. If not, take the $$$. :-) ... Done!
always a good idea... thanks

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm in the same exact boat. USD w/ little to no $$ or Cal Western with an almost full ride.

I'm leading USD. Why? Well, if I were to fall below an 80 lose my $$ (for whatever reason) or fall below the 75 cut off, I would probably be kicking myself forever.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:43 pm

BruinsFan wrote:I'm in the same exact boat. USD w/ little to no $$ or Cal Western with an almost full ride.

I'm leading USD. Why? Well, if I were to fall below an 80 lose my $$ (for whatever reason) or fall below the 75 cut off, I would probably be kicking myself forever.
We seem to be following one another around.

I'm going to say this once, and only once: I'm flattered by stalkers, and if we attend the same law school, you should know that I leave my window next to the climbable tree cracked upon at night and I'm a deep sleeper.

I'm just sayin'...

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:45 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:

They are all basically in the MidA region and the T2s are ranked 60's and up....T3s are in the same general region... All schools place relatively well in their immediate areas... Problem is that some "areas" are not exactly bustling cities...
without knowing too many details, i would eliminate t3s that are not in bustling cities. they won't have enough portability.

the hard thing is trying to figure out how much better a t2 is than a t3, and for this i really don't think the rankings help.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:47 pm

BruinsFan wrote:I'm in the same exact boat. USD w/ little to no $$ or Cal Western with an almost full ride.

Would be alot easier if our top schools just gave us full rides but that is not likely... Oh well... Its not like this is one of the most important decisions in our lives..........
:shock:

O wait... It is... DAMNIT!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:09 pm

List the schools then we can better evaulate your options. Not all TTT schools are equal.

spitfire935

New

Post by spitfire935 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:18 pm

Same boat here! Case western (30k/yr) or Cleveland Marshall (10k/yr). I don't know if Case has that much more mobility or is that much better in the area. Anyone care to comment and help me make one of the hardest decisions that will stick with me for my entire career?

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:59 pm

darknightbegins wrote:List the schools then we can better evaulate your options. Not all TTT schools are equal.
basically all the PA/NJ schools sans UPENN compared with T2/T3 schools like NYLS, AKRON, HOFSTRA, QUINNPIAC, CLEVE ST, DUQUESNE etc... these types of schools will end up being relatively cheap or even "free".... looking to practice in PA or MidA region somewhere...

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:List the schools then we can better evaulate your options. Not all TTT schools are equal.
basically all the PA/NJ schools sans UPENN compared with T2/T3 schools like NYLS, AKRON, HOFSTRA, QUINNPIAC, CLEVE ST, DUQUESNE etc... these types of schools will end up being relatively cheap or even "free".... looking to practice in PA or MidA region somewhere...
I think it's going to be a LOT of questions about specific scholarship (and remaining amount of tuition to pay), cost of living, needs/wants for locale for the next 3 years, how specific you are on where you want to practice, and other numerous soft factors.

My biggest concern in these situations, once you drill down to a few schools, is employment prospects for those lower ranked schools. You may only have COL debt, $50-$60k, but if you can't find a job...that debt still matters. If it seems like jobs are attainable to the successful student from the school, then it may very well the better choice. Especially with the market for T2's not being ideal (however, some do better than others).

The best advice really has to be forget the numbers/T2/T3 info, and just focus on the needs the school meets, the cost, and the job opportunities in general (nothing is guaranteed, so look at potentials and weigh them).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 pm

Yeah I got into Akron with money, one of my safety schools. So you have gotten into Penn State as well as both Rutgers schools? If you could get in state tuition after a year into Rutgers that may be your best bet. Rutgers obviously has some pull in Jersey and from what I've read Phili as well, likely more pull than an Akron or Hofstra. Going to Penn State at sticker is going to cost you 30K+ per year but it seems to be a school on the rise. Probably a better place to live than the high crime rate in Camden.

If you can get in state tuition at the Newark school after the first year that might be your best overall bet. Penn State is ranked higher but I doubt they place much different than Newark. I know shit about Hofstra but I know I would rather throw down scratch on Newark or Penn State before Akron. Akron isn't even the big dog in its own state (Ohio) can't imagine it does too well in the MidA PA/NJ area.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:14 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Yeah I got into Akron with money, one of my safety schools. So you have gotten into Penn State as well as both Rutgers schools? If you could get in state tuition after a year into Rutgers that may be your best bet. Rutgers obviously has some pull in Jersey and from what I've read Phili as well, likely more pull than an Akron or Hofstra. Going to Penn State at sticker is going to cost you 30K+ per year but it seems to be a school on the rise. Probably a better place to live than the high crime rate in Camden.

If you can get in state tuition at the Newark school after the first year that might be your best overall bet. Penn State is ranked higher but I doubt they place much different than Newark. I know shit about Hofstra but I know I would rather throw down scratch on Newark or Penn State before Akron. Akron isn't even the big dog in its own state (Ohio) can't imagine it does too well in the MidA PA/NJ area.
I like Rutgers Newark alot and Ive even heard that they sometimes give instate tuition to first year students that sign a 12 month lease. If this is true then they are amongst the top because instate is only like 23-24k... Im not high on PSU for exactly the reasons you mentioned... They may be "on the way up" but they are only getting there by making their numbers stronger... this doesnt exactly mean their short term employment prospects will be good.. plus they are 32K plus now and this number will certainly increase over the next three years... The problem with deciding between those "lower" schools is that I will have very little debt come grad time so I wont need a 80/90/100k job to hava decent living.... Theres prob no right answer....and that is what sucks...

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 am

Compaq1984 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:Yeah I got into Akron with money, one of my safety schools. So you have gotten into Penn State as well as both Rutgers schools? If you could get in state tuition after a year into Rutgers that may be your best bet. Rutgers obviously has some pull in Jersey and from what I've read Phili as well, likely more pull than an Akron or Hofstra. Going to Penn State at sticker is going to cost you 30K+ per year but it seems to be a school on the rise. Probably a better place to live than the high crime rate in Camden.

I like Rutgers Newark alot and Ive even heard that they sometimes give instate tuition to first year students that sign a 12 month lease. If this is true then they are amongst the top because instate is only like 23-24k... Im not high on PSU for exactly the reasons you mentioned... They may be "on the way up" but they are only getting there by making their numbers stronger... this doesnt exactly mean their short term employment prospects will be good.. plus they are 32K plus now and this number will certainly increase over the next three years... The problem with deciding between those "lower" schools is that I will have very little debt come grad time so I wont need a 80/90/100k job to hava decent living.... Theres prob no right answer....and that is what sucks...
Even if you have to live lean for 3-5 years after graduation Newark might be the best out of your options especially with in state tuition. Going to law school for mid 20K per year in the Northeast ain't bad at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”