Deciding on a market...? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
narkizopoint

Bronze

Deciding on a market...?

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:40 am

Over and over I see the response, "Decide which market you want to be in, then go there" and along those lines my question is which criteria do you use/ have used to evaluate which market you want to be in? Aside from the obvious "job lined up here already" and "family ties" what resources have you used to look into the various markets?

I ask because I have no regional preferences and have to decide between different schools. Any response is appreciated.
(I did a forum search and did not see an answer to this question so if it is a repeat, my apologies.)

JOThompson

Silver

Re: Deciding on a market...?

Post by JOThompson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:52 am

http://www.city-data.com/ is an excellent resource for statistics, discussions about quality of life, etc. It's wise to factor in your career goals as well, of course. If you desire biglaw, you'd best aim for one of the large markets. You should also visit these cities and get a feel for them. I spent a couple weeks traveling and was able to significantly narrow down my possible market choices.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks for the link, there is some great info there. I will definately check it out. I personally have been looking at the wikipedia entries on the major cities surrounding the regional schools I am considering.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:19 pm

I've been using Wikipedia too, it's a good starting point. I think it's always wise to think far ahead when you're considering regional schools. If any of your schools offer travel stipends, you might want to use them. That's my plan anyways. Good luck :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”