Advice needed -- better law school vs. cheaper law school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
karmakmsa

New

Advice needed -- better law school vs. cheaper law school?

Post by karmakmsa » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

So far I've been accepted to 2 schools I'm really excited about, GWU and BU. However, the possibility of a scholarship on the horizon for either of these schools is bleak. My parents are unwilling to support me for more than about 10K a year, and that's also about all the money I have to my name right now.

I've gotten scholarship offers from FSU and UGA. I'm also a FL resident, so the scholarship at FSU makes it a full ride. And then there's UF that has cheaper tuition.

So I'm asking....what should I do? Is it worth it to choose GWU or BU over FSU, UF or UGA but have a lot of debt when I graduate? Or should I choose between FSU, UF and UGA and have little to no debt?

Thank you!!!! Help is much appreciated! :)

showNprove

Silver

Re: Advice needed -- better law school vs. cheaper law school?

Post by showNprove » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 pm

All of these schools are at least semi-regional. BU will place well from Maine to NYC; GWU from VA to NYC; UGA in Georgia; and FSU and UF in Florida.

Since I think the trade off between the debt and opportunities appear to be pretty equal for you, I would pick the region you were most interested in. If you cannot decide between two regions, take the cheaper school.

jcl2

Bronze

Post by jcl2 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:27 pm

If you want to live in the south I would take one of those southern schools over GWU or BU. GWU and BU aren't really much better than Georgia anyway. The only way I would say GWU or BU are the better decision is if you are sure you want to work in either DC or Boston.

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:34 pm

I agree with shownprove. However, no one can really tell you what is going to be best for your situation. It all really depends on if you feel comfortable with taking on the debt. I am in the same situation, so I know how you're feeling. But, the answer is going to depend on your career goals, living preferences, etc. If you want to do biglaw in NYC, than your best best, out of those options at least, is to take BU. If you wouldn't mind living in Florida, I believe (although, what do I know) UF and FSU (Miami may be stronger) do well for their region in biglaw.

Like shownprove said, none of those schools place strongly on a national level. So, if you wouldn't mind living in either of the schools respective regions, why not go with the cheaper option?

timshel

New

Post by timshel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:25 pm

where do you want to work/live when you graduate?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”