William Mitchell, St. Thomas, or Hamline? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
bmtripp

New

William Mitchell, St. Thomas, or Hamline?

Post by bmtripp » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:49 am

I'm looking for thoughts on choosing between these three schools. Due to military commitments, I have to stay in Minnesota, and the U would be a stretch. Strictly from an education standpoint, money considerations aside, what do you think?

baboon309

Bronze

Re: William Mitchell, St. Thomas, or Hamline?

Post by baboon309 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:56 pm

WM

sequence

New

Post by sequence » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:48 pm

bmtripp wrote:I'm looking for thoughts on choosing between these three schools. Due to military commitments, I have to stay in Minnesota, and the U would be a stretch. Strictly from an education standpoint, money considerations aside, what do you think?
WM. I just got accepted today and withdrew from UST. Not sure if I'll be attending, but it's definitely a contender. Better networking and a stronger name.

the_assassin

New

Post by the_assassin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Are you paying sticker at WM? If so, you might want to reconsider. Thats a lot of $$$ for iffy job prospects. Especially considering the UM students are getting hammered right now.

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 pm

William Mitchell!

Im from MN and all the attorneys Ive spoken with say that WM has a great reputation in Minneapolis. Some argue better than U of M. UST seems to be doing well in the rankings but its too new of a school to have any alumni base.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the_assassin

New

Post by the_assassin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:26 pm

I am not questioning its alumni base or reputation around the state. The market is really saturated (4 schools) and it plays second fiddle to UM in every regard.

bmtripp

New

Post by bmtripp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:01 am

the_assassin wrote:Are you paying sticker at WM? If so, you might want to reconsider. Thats a lot of $$$ for iffy job prospects. Especially considering the UM students are getting hammered right now.
Absolutely. I'm not at that point yet (I won't be applying this cycle). Just trying to get a feel for the schools as I think about it. I don't think 100K in debt is worth those degrees, unless the job market improves.

olsonl

New

Post by olsonl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 am

Born and raised. If you speak with attorneys around the area, they all say that WM is locally equal in reputation to the U. The alumni network is really strong, which I'm sure is key to that fact. WM seems to be one of those rare cases that a very low ranked school competes with a T20.

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:45 am

olsonl wrote:Born and raised. If you speak with attorneys around the area, they all say that WM is locally equal in reputation to the U. The alumni network is really strong, which I'm sure is key to that fact. WM seems to be one of those rare cases that a very low ranked school competes with a T20.
Well, One is overranked and the other one is underranked. That`s why.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

olsonl

New

Post by olsonl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:57 am

Maybe. But T1 and T3 is a big gap.

bmtripp

New

Post by bmtripp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:05 pm

olsonl wrote:Maybe. But T1 and T3 is a big gap.
Am I wrong to think that TLS users put a little more emphasis on rankings than employers? (Outside of T-14)

etwashington7

New

Post by etwashington7 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:14 pm

From the little research I have done... William Mitchell will be your next best choice, besides UM. They place very well in the Twin Cities region from what I understand. Out of possible T3 choices they rank the highest in my book. US News gives them no credit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”