PSU vs Villanova vs Pitt Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stayway

Silver

Re: PSU vs Villanova vs Pitt

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:57 pm

pjo wrote:
redginseng wrote:i guess this isnt an accurate indicator of the market size but how much do average biglaw associates get paid out of law school?
about 70-120K depending on the BigLaw Firm. Everyone else is making 45-60K with 50 median...thats in the city. PPl working outside of the city in PI work and that are more like 40K. But keep in mind COL in Pittsburgh is Ridiculously cheap.
redginseng wrote:But probably Pitt will give you the best job prospect out of the three, by focusing on Pittsburgh market.
---Yes, +1. All of these schools are regional. Pitt has the least competition in its job market (only having to compete with Duquesne and somewhat Case)

also, just my two cents. Everyone keeps saying PSU has the central PA market. What market is in central PA? I guess Harrisburg, but honestly have you been to state college or even carlisle where dickinson is? There's nothing around there and thats why I think PSU is the worst choice.

Also, Pitt is usually pretty good about giving money. (usually 16K per year for out of state ppl)
Thanks for the input. Yeah, since I got accepted to Villanova, PSU is pretty much out of the picture.

Pitt is grabbing my attention because they are basically bombarding me with e-mails. I haven't received a packet from them yet. No money letter, nothing. I'm assuming if I choose to go to Pitt and want to do biglaw in Pitt (and get the 160k job in Pitt) I would have to be top 5-15%.

Why do I keep getting this feeling that Pittsburgh is a city that doesn't really have anything "current"? (I don't know if you guys know what I mean; and no offense to those who love Pittsburgh). Please feel free to teach me anything and everything about Pittsburgh.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:07 pm

just FYI, I don't know of any Biglaw jobs in the burgh that start at 160K, they're all like 90-120K starting.

quote="pjo"]Why do I keep getting this feeling that Pittsburgh is a city that doesn't really have anything "current"? [/quote]
-what exactly do you mean by current? There's a lot of new stuff being built in the city. All of the sports stadiums are new (with the new penguins stadium opening next year...it's awesome). There's a lot of work in downtown going on. Actually Reed Smith just moved into the new "green" PNC building this year. The convention center is fairly new, and thats where the G-20 was held this year. A new sky rise luxury apartment complex is going up in the city (although I doubt it will attract too many ppl to live in the city). You have to keep in mind that the city basically shuts down at about 7:00...honestly its desolate. You should take a look at suburbs like Cranberry or Wexford that are growing rapidly because of the increase of young professionals working in the city and living in these areas. That is where the majority of new attractions are being built. There's also a big emphasis within the city of making buildings "green", most likely because the city wants to shed its 70's persona where the city was covered in soot because of the steel industry (which is now non-existent in Pittsburgh so no worry)

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:11 pm

I just wikipedia'd Pittsburgh. Sounds legit. City shutting down around 7pm? What?!

If GW doesn't accept me off of the WL, I'm going to be in a difficult position. Sigh

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:16 pm

nooyyllib wrote:I just wikipedia'd Pittsburgh. Sounds legit. City shutting down around 7pm? What?!
I should prob elaborate on this. Pittsburgh is a city of neighborhoods (i.e several neighborhoods make up Pittsburgh). Some of these include shadyside, squirrel hill, oakland (where pitt is), north shore, strip district, and downtown. So, the DOWNTOWN closes down at about 7, but southside (where all the bars are located) and most of the other neighborhoods are rockin til about 2am.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:31 pm

nooyyllib wrote:
pjo wrote:
redginseng wrote:i guess this isnt an accurate indicator of the market size but how much do average biglaw associates get paid out of law school?
about 70-120K depending on the BigLaw Firm. Everyone else is making 45-60K with 50 median...thats in the city. PPl working outside of the city in PI work and that are more like 40K. But keep in mind COL in Pittsburgh is Ridiculously cheap.
redginseng wrote:But probably Pitt will give you the best job prospect out of the three, by focusing on Pittsburgh market.
---Yes, +1. All of these schools are regional. Pitt has the least competition in its job market (only having to compete with Duquesne and somewhat Case)

also, just my two cents. Everyone keeps saying PSU has the central PA market. What market is in central PA? I guess Harrisburg, but honestly have you been to state college or even carlisle where dickinson is? There's nothing around there and thats why I think PSU is the worst choice.

Also, Pitt is usually pretty good about giving money. (usually 16K per year for out of state ppl)
Thanks for the input. Yeah, since I got accepted to Villanova, PSU is pretty much out of the picture.

Pitt is grabbing my attention because they are basically bombarding me with e-mails. I haven't received a packet from them yet. No money letter, nothing. I'm assuming if I choose to go to Pitt and want to do biglaw in Pitt (and get the 160k job in Pitt) I would have to be top 5-15%.

Why do I keep getting this feeling that Pittsburgh is a city that doesn't really have anything "current"? (I don't know if you guys know what I mean; and no offense to those who love Pittsburgh). Please feel free to teach me anything and everything about Pittsburgh.
No offense taken, I think there is a lot of reason to be suspicious about Pittsburgh. It was the steel city. The steel mills created a ton of pollution and grew a blue collar culture. The steel mills employed a ton of folks. Pittsburgh was once the 7th largest city in the country. The mills left and the city struggled. People think Pittsburgh is a polluted, abandoned wasteland. It's not. It's a revived city, advertises it's "meds and eds". UPMC is one of the best hospitals in the country. Jonas Salk discovered the vaccine for polio at Pitt.

Carnegie Mellon is right next to Pitt and has helped Pittsburgh developed a sound technological industry. Pittsburgh has been recognized for it's fine arts. My favorite aspect of that is the contemporary art museum "the mattress factory"; it's a super weird, installation art museum. But also it's home of the Andy Worhol museum and the carnegie art museum (a little more conventional). But there is also the Pittsburgh Arts Festival every summer. It's awesome. There are free concerts every night of the festival. A few years ago they had wilco, I think last year Robert Randolph and the family band played, and the year before was moe. (those are the bands i liked, but they have something for everybody).

And if you're into sports, the steelers, the pens and Pitt basketball make it a tough city to beat.

Pittsburgh also has some awesome city parks, running and bike trails. They just revived the Pittsburgh Marathon last year and had about 10K participants (including me). It's a very runner friendly community.

Some downsides, it's not a city that has many trendy clubs. There is certainly a night life in town, but it has a feel very different than bigger cities. The public transportation could be better. I hope they extend the light rail system. but many people rely on the buses, and they're okay.... i guesss.... I once saw a guy in a skirt pee himself on a bus.... but i was in a pretty bad neighborhood, late at night....

Downtown shuts down at 7. I don't know that anyone lives downtown.... I'm not even sure there is housing available... People work there, then leave. There's not even much crime down at night, it's just desolate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 pm

gahhhh this is too difficult. its basically Nova vs Pitt. both schools haven't mailed me packets yet. so no info on money. I would like to live in Philly but Pittsburgh sounds good too.

We'll wait and see what WM and W&L tells me. - probably rejections.

The more I research about Pittsburgh, the more difficult this is getting. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sooner25

New

Post by sooner25 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:33 am

redginseng wrote:
1.Nova/Temple
2.PSU
3.Pitt
Not a credited response.

Can't rank between Nova/Temple and Pitt without talking about which region because they serve different market.

Further, it's more like
1. Nova/Temple/Pitt
3. PSU
They asked which school would be better for philly so yes nova/temple would be better than pitt

stayway

Silver

Post by stayway » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:46 pm

i've done some research about K&L in Pittsburgh and supposedly its one of the impossible jobs to get.

Also, I saw no Asian American lawyers in the Pittsburgh location. Can anyone honestly tell me what the Asian American job prospect in Pittsburgh? - this is why I asked about diversity. Seems a little too "white".

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”