Anyone else moving down a notch? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
englawyer

Silver

Re: Anyone else moving down a notch?

Post by englawyer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:54 am

i was under the impression that a significant number of MIT grads, etc. go to wall st nowadays. not so?

Ethan Edwards

New

Post by Ethan Edwards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:03 pm

englawyer wrote:i was under the impression that a significant number of MIT grads, etc. go to wall st nowadays. not so?
Alot of them cant cut it.

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 pm

orphanarium wrote:The person who posted the original comment obviously wanted to know if there were other people who were moving down a notch. To that person: I'm sorry that this thread has, instead, become a place where people can publicly give themselves a pat on the back.

P.S. Like some have said, I don't think you're part of an incredibly small minority. Someone has to make up the bottom of the HYS class.
Haha. It's just that you're going to find more people who DIDN'T go to HYP and therefore CAN move up, than in the other direction.

I, however, did go to HYP, and I am unlikely to get into HYS, so yes, I'm probably moving down a notch.

You could always say you didn't want to go to HYS cause you'd had enough of the elite overachieving atmosphere and chose your law school based on more quality-of-life factors? For me at least, this is partly true.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:06 pm

4910 wrote:
kinch wrote:
whitman wrote:I think law school is easier to get into a top school. I took 9 AP's, got 5's on most, 3.9 GPA at a top high school, 1530 SAT, worked hard on my essay, and still got denied or wait listed at 9 schools.
Must've been a 1530 on the new SAT.
lol
Please define what a 'top' high school is?

Also, I think UGs take alot more consideration into soft factors. I had a 4.3, 1460 on the old SAT, 7 AP tests (All 5's, took a nap during some of them), was a three sport athlete (All conference & captain of the teams), and debated at a national level while also being captain of the debate team, president of the national forensics league, was on NHS, student body, a conference advisory board, youth swim coach & a ton of other stuff including a national award for church service and doing lots of charity work for organizations that help support my Autistic brother.

Good high school grades are a dime a dozen so they want to see what else you've done. Maybe you think law school is easier to get into because they're willing to accept someone as interesting as a door knob.

I had no problems getting into colleges. For one school I forgot to submit half my application, and they still only waitlisted me. Everywhere else let me in with a scholarship. I went to the one that offered me a full scholarship.

Ethan Edwards

New

Post by Ethan Edwards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:08 pm

MF248 wrote:
4910 wrote:
kinch wrote:
whitman wrote:I think law school is easier to get into a top school. I took 9 AP's, got 5's on most, 3.9 GPA at a top high school, 1530 SAT, worked hard on my essay, and still got denied or wait listed at 9 schools.
lol
http://www.top-high-schools.com.....you unsophisticated redneck sleeze ball.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:10 pm

Ethan Edwards wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Only losers in engineering and compsi go to law school.
i have to disagree. the level of win from engineering/compsi in my opinion:

#1. create a cool startup that actually succeeds
#2. "follow your dreams" and get a PhD
#3. join a cool startup
#4. join wall st as a quant
#5. join a strategy consulting firm
#6. go to law school
#7. join a prestigious tech company (google etc)
#8. join a normal tech company (probably over 60% in this category)

#8 are the losers IMO. they won't amount to much of anything and get paid far less than they are worth. they will spend their lives implementing what some MBA or business person wants while they sit in their cube farm (think dilbert). after ten years, their job will be outsourced to india and they will be an unemployed 45 year old who will go into the office w/ a machine gun and go crazy.
#4 is very very hard without a PhD.
Really, that sounds like a very stupid way to hire. Getting a PhD isn't going to train any relevant skills, nor will it teach them how to do what the job requires.

You might as well just hire straight from Ugrad and have a high GPA cut off.

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:12 pm

parker09 wrote:
orphanarium wrote:The person who posted the original comment obviously wanted to know if there were other people who were moving down a notch. To that person: I'm sorry that this thread has, instead, become a place where people can publicly give themselves a pat on the back.

P.S. Like some have said, I don't think you're part of an incredibly small minority. Someone has to make up the bottom of the HYS class.
Haha. It's just that you're going to find more people who DIDN'T go to HYP and therefore CAN move up, than in the other direction.

I, however, did go to HYP, and I am unlikely to get into HYS, so yes, I'm probably moving down a notch.

You could always say you didn't want to go to HYS cause you'd had enough of the elite overachieving atmosphere and chose your law school based on more quality-of-life factors? For me at least, this is partly true.
you got into columbia, and that is a lateral for most practical purposes :P

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:13 pm

twert wrote:so you peaked in high school?
I LOLed

TTTennis

Bronze

Post by TTTennis » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Luckily for me I can't move down a notch from my TTT UG. Even going to Cooley would be a lateral. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

parker09

Bronze

Post by parker09 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:20 pm

englawyer wrote: you got into columbia, and that is a lateral for most practical purposes :P
Haha I knew someone was going to bring that up. You're right. But I still understand the feeling of worrying about moving "down." My #s didn't really guarantee anything within the T10, so it was kind of a surprise.
But I do know several people from my UG class who aren't even in the top 50 law schools (or med schools, or grad schools).

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:20 pm

MF248 wrote:
4910 wrote:
kinch wrote:
lol

Also, I think UGs take alot more consideration into soft factors. I had a 4.3, 1460 on the old SAT, 7 AP tests (All 5's, took a nap during some of them), was a three sport athlete (All conference & captain of the teams), and debated at a national level while also being captain of the debate team, president of the national forensics league, was on NHS, student body, a conference advisory board, youth swim coach & a ton of other stuff including a national award for church service and doing lots of charity work for organizations that help support my Autistic brother.

Good high school grades are a dime a dozen so they want to see what else you've done. Maybe you think law school is easier to get into because they're willing to accept someone as interesting as a door knob.

I had no problems getting into colleges. For one school I forgot to submit half my application, and they still only waitlisted me. Everywhere else let me in with a scholarship. I went to the one that offered me a full scholarship.

--ImageRemoved--

Ethan Edwards

New

Post by Ethan Edwards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Really, that sounds like a very stupid way to hire. Getting a PhD isn't going to train any relevant skills, nor will it teach them how to do what the job requires.

But most UGs wont have the knowledge of mathematics that is necessary to be a quant. However, they could probably learn in less than a year what they need to know. Most UGs try and start as a trader clerk.

Btw, MIT>>>>>HYP.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Ethan Edwards wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

But most UGs wont have the knowledge of mathematics that is necessary to be a quant. However, they could probably learn in less than a year what they need to know. Most UGs try and start as a trader clerk.

Btw, MIT>>>>>HYP.
You aren't going to learn any more math getting a PhD in engineering compared to a bachelors.

EDIT: That's not totally true, but its going to be limited to the kind of work you doing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:30 pm

MF248 wrote:
4910 wrote:
kinch wrote:
whitman wrote:
lol
http://www.top-high-schools.com.....you unsophisticated redneck sleeze ball.

Ooooooh

LifeinKodachrome

New

Post by LifeinKodachrome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Ethan Edwards wrote:
englawyer wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Only losers in engineering and compsi go to law school.

#3. join a cool startup
#6. go to law school

#8 are the losers IMO. they won't amount to much of anything and get paid far less than they are worth. they will spend their lives implementing what some MBA or business person wants while they sit in their cube farm (think dilbert). after ten years, their job will be outsourced to india and they will be an unemployed 45 year old who will go into the office w/ a machine gun and go crazy.

In my experience, this is closer to what happens. The people who interview for top ibanks and the people who interview for top consulting firms tend to have pretty similar academic backgrounds. In many of these firms, you can either work your way up after being hired after undergrad or start at a higher tier with an MBA or PhD.

Ethan Edwards

New

Post by Ethan Edwards » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 pm

LifeinKodachrome wrote:
In my experience, this is closer to what happens. The people who interview for top ibanks and the people who interview for top consulting firms tend to have pretty similar academic backgrounds. In many of these firms, you can either work your way up after being hired after undergrad or start at a higher tier with an MBA or PhD.
to wk at an ib you need to be ivy.

Im a fucking poet.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:56 pm

MF248 wrote:

Eh, I don't think a full scholarship to a Big 10 school counts as "no problems" getting into any college...

I mean its the Big 10, ugh, not really saying too much :lol:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:57 pm

LifeinKodachrome wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Ethan Edwards wrote:
englawyer wrote:

#3. join a cool startup
#6. go to law school

Oh I wasn't doubting that it is how they hire, just that I think its silly. Though the MBA (or PhD in statistics) makes perfect sense since those programs teach the skills and knowledge necessary. A PhD in EE doesn't.

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:05 pm

I'm coming from a very unknown fourth tier public university. Although I haven't made a final decision yet, all the schools I'm considering are well regarded as law schools and as whole universities. At an admitted student day at a Top 14 school I felt a little out of my league -- I'd never been around so many HYP grads.

Sadly, my undergrad had no prelaw advising to speak of. If it wasn't for the internet and TLS, I'd have no idea how to apply. The average student who took the LSAT at my undergrad scored something like 147, according to my LSAC report :shock:
Last edited by js87 on Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MF248

Bronze

Post by MF248 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:
MF248 wrote:

Eh, I don't think a full scholarship to a Big 10 school counts as "no problems" getting into any college...

That's where I went, that's not all the places I applied. That was actually the backup and I didn't think I would even bother with the school until I got the scholarship.

martin024

New

Post by martin024 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:09 pm

S to (most likely) U. Colorado...so yeah, but I really don't care.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LifeinKodachrome

New

Post by LifeinKodachrome » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
LifeinKodachrome wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Ethan Edwards wrote:

Oh I wasn't doubting that it is how they hire, just that I think its silly. Though the MBA (or PhD in statistics) makes perfect sense since those programs teach the skills and knowledge necessary. A PhD in EE doesn't.

Actually, I was agreeing with you (as opposed to Ethan). I know many more Ugrads who had high GPAs on wall street than Engineering PhDs (though there is clearly some selection bias here). They tend to be ivy grads, but aren't all by any means. And if you have the quant skills, it doesn't matter what you studied (though you'll need to prove it to them).

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:24 pm

I'm looking at staying in the same general area, T20 UG and a T30 law school.

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:27 pm

martin024 wrote:S to (most likely) U. Colorado...so yeah, but I really don't care.
The President of the Colorado State Senate made the same move.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:23 pm

MF248 wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:
MF248 wrote:

That's where I went, that's not all the places I applied. That was actually the backup and I didn't think I would even bother with the school until I got the scholarship.
Haha I was just ribbing you, I understand the allure of no debt.

Still, I don't think you can discount numbers from the HS process. I had 5+ GPA, 1580 SAT, 10+ APs and not much in HS softs (couple of sports, but no leadership or tons of fake club presidents etc.).
Didn't get H or Y, probably due to ethnicity, but pretty good cycle otherwise, ending up with T20 Private full tuition scholarship + stipend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”