NU v GULC for PI, new LRAPs Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NU v GULC for PI

NU
29%
GULC
71%

Total votes: 17

beef wellington

Silver

NU v GULC for PI, new LRAPs

Post by beef wellington » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:59 am

Georgetown and Northwestern both have amazing new LRAPs. Is one school better for a PI career? Intuitively I'd think GULC might be slightly better because of its location and the networking opportunities that would come with 3 years in DC.

Also, is it a safe bet that the rest of the T14 will follow suit and update their LRAPs to dovetail with IBR and federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness? Like, within the next three years? Is it a safe enough bet that one could basically ignore a lousy LRAP and figure they'll all be about equal soon enough?

Also, anyone that knows of similar new LRAPs that have been upgraded this cycle please post them.

notaname

New

Re: NU v GULC for PI, new LRAPs

Post by notaname » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 am

I voted GULC for three reasons: 1) location; 2) the fact that it has a separate PI career center in addition to its private practice career center; 3) clinics. Georgetown has more clinics than NU, and that's going to be where you build your resume for PI work.

The new Georgetown LRAP is undoubtedly great, but when it was explained to me, it was called "experimental." GULC is apparently going to test it out for 2 years to make sure that it doesn't bankrupt the school. Thus, I would also consider the likelihood that there will be a different LRAP at GULC when you graduate alongside the possibility that other T14s will improve their LRAPs.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:51 am

notaname wrote:I voted GULC for three reasons: 1) location; 2) the fact that it has a separate PI career center in addition to its private practice career center; 3) clinics. Georgetown has more clinics than NU, and that's going to be where you build your resume for PI work.

The new Georgetown LRAP is undoubtedly great, but when it was explained to me, it was called "experimental." GULC is apparently going to test it out for 2 years to make sure that it doesn't bankrupt the school. Thus, I would also consider the likelihood that there will be a different LRAP at GULC when you graduate alongside the possibility that other T14s will improve their LRAPs.
Thanks for the reply. Who exactly was calling the LRAP experimental? This strikes me as odd, one would think the approximate cost would be pretty easy for them to estimate. Even if they did modify it after a couple years, it's hard for me to imagine them denying the old LRAP to students who had been admitted during the old regime.

notaname

New

Post by notaname » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:59 am

It was a representative of the GULC financial aid office. According to her, the school estimates that the new LRAP will cost twice as much as the present one, but, since the maximum salary has been bumped up, they aren't 100% sure how many will participate in it. She sounded optimistic that their figures were good, though.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:30 am

I was just reading about GULC's LRAP and got pretty excited about it. I was thinking about removing GULC from my list of possible schools because of expense, but this could change everything. Also, on their press release for the new LRAP it states:
Current students and those entering the program in 2010 will receive the full benefit of this plan.
So while it may be experimental, I don't think they can call it off for those entering in 2010. In other words, this entering class might be the last to benefit from it, but they'll definitely benefit from it. At least that's how I understand it. Also, anyone know the specifics on judicial clerkships?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:07 pm

Virginia is going to roll out a new LRAP shortly -- I bet it's along the same lines.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:13 pm

scribelaw wrote:Virginia is going to roll out a new LRAP shortly -- I bet it's along the same lines.
There's no deadline announced for this.

LRAPs have a lot of contingent fine print (i.e. average income of spouse and yours if spouse's is higher, take into account assets, only cover certain types of jobs, you have to work in this job for X amount of years+, if you quit that job you pay the school back for the "LRAP" loans at capitalized interest that you take out from the school). This is all taken from NYU's LRAP, which is supposedly one of the best. I'd read the fine print carefully before you think that the LRAP will cover your tuition/fees.

If I were you I'd read the fine print for both LRAPs, keeping in mind that a few of the schools, like Berkeley, have the ability to "select" who will be able to use the LRAP and who won't.

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:52 am

Thanks for the replies. Anyone wanna make the case for NU?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:04 am

fortissimo wrote:
scribelaw wrote:Virginia is going to roll out a new LRAP shortly -- I bet it's along the same lines.
There's no deadline announced for this.

LRAPs have a lot of contingent fine print (i.e. average income of spouse and yours if spouse's is higher, take into account assets, only cover certain types of jobs, you have to work in this job for X amount of years+, if you quit that job you pay the school back for the "LRAP" loans at capitalized interest that you take out from the school). This is all taken from NYU's LRAP, which is supposedly one of the best. I'd read the fine print carefully before you think that the LRAP will cover your tuition/fees.

If I were you I'd read the fine print for both LRAPs, keeping in mind that a few of the schools, like Berkeley, have the ability to "select" who will be able to use the LRAP and who won't.
The spouse income is a big catch. If you have a wife/husband making market-rate BigLaw, LRAP would be useless. At that point, however, you'd have IBR.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”