UVA v. NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

For my situation, NYU or UVA?

NYU, even if UVA offers you money
41%
UVA if they offer you money, otherwise NYU
45%
UVA either way
14%

Total votes: 132

legends159

Silver

Re: UVA v. NYU

Post by legends159 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Holy crap there is a world of difference between living in NYC for 3 years as compared to Charlottesville.

This should be an easy decision for most people. New York is the largest market and NYU places very well there. So go to NYU if you want a better chance at landing a biglaw job.

If you're worried about overspending for food, go to Chinatown to eat. High rent? Get used to it. PI? Many people who say they want that end up not after a few years in LS. Go to NYU and enjoy the city.

McNabb

New

Post by McNabb » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:18 pm

legends159 wrote:Holy crap there is a world of difference between living in NYC for 3 years as compared to Charlottesville.

This should be an easy decision for most people. New York is the largest market and NYU places very well there. So go to NYU if you want a better chance at landing a biglaw job.

If you're worried about overspending for food, go to Chinatown to eat. High rent? Get used to it. PI? Many people who say they want that end up not after a few years in LS. Go to NYU and enjoy the city.
For those who don't want to work in NYC this doesn't make any sense. If I want a better chance at a big law job in New York I could see that, but for those who want biglaw somewhere else (which is a lot of people--- myself included) that makes this decision much more difficult. The money that the guy mentioned he's getting at UVA and his desire to work in DC would seem to make this an easy choice for most people, a choice that ends up being UVA.

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:26 pm

Personal opinion, but if UVA (or any similarly ranked school) offers 45k+, it makes a good argument to go there over NYU.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:41 pm

McNabb wrote:
legends159 wrote:Holy crap there is a world of difference between living in NYC for 3 years as compared to Charlottesville.

For those who don't want to work in NYC this doesn't make any sense. If I want a better chance at a big law job in New York I could see that, but for those who want biglaw somewhere else (which is a lot of people--- myself included) that makes this decision much more difficult. The money that the guy mentioned he's getting at UVA and his desire to work in DC would seem to make this an easy choice for most people, a choice that ends up being UVA.
That's the Pre-ITE entitlement talking.

I suppose you're right. I just think that if you want the highest chance of making $160K after graduation, NYU is the better choice.

lovethelaw88

New

Post by lovethelaw88 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Just be aware that cost of living in NYC is disgustingly high. If you go to the store and buy a gallon of milk, it's $5. Do you smoke? If so, tack on another $11/pack. UVA is a good school that provides good job prospects; and I don't have to tell you in-state tuition is a lot cheaper. Furthermore, NYU historically gives HORRIBLE financial aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

McNabb

New

Post by McNabb » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:27 pm

legends159 wrote:That's the Pre-ITE entitlement talking.

I suppose you're right. I just think that if you want the highest chance of making $160K after graduation, NYU is the better choice.
Obviously I missed something. So wanting to live somewhere other than NYC is "pre ITE entitlement"? Ironically I think most of the country would probably reverse your statement based on what's been going on in NYC the last few years......

I'm still not understanding why NYU gives you a higher chance at making 160K when both schools have the same employment prospects for the OP's tastes (ie not NYC). UVA has a very strong rep (probably stronger) in some markets that pay well over 100K that have lower tax rates and much lower cost of living (Atlanta, Texas, the rest of the south). Besides it's not like UVA is a slouch in NYC either. I checked out the V10 firms, and all of them have a slew of UVA grads except for Wachtell and Cravath. With his scholarship money and UVA's MUCH lower COL I just don't see the benefit of NYU for someone with the OP's tastes. Now if NYU poneys up some serious dough that would change the situation, maybe he can try to bargain based off of his UVA offer.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:03 am

McNabb wrote:
legends159 wrote:That's the Pre-ITE entitlement talking.

Obviously I missed something. So wanting to live somewhere other than NYC is "pre ITE entitlement"? Ironically I think most of the country would probably reverse your statement based on what's been going on in NYC the last few years......

I'm still not understanding why NYU gives you a higher chance at making 160K when both schools have the same employment prospects for the OP's tastes (ie not NYC). UVA has a very strong rep (probably stronger) in some markets that pay well over 100K that have lower tax rates and much lower cost of living (Atlanta, Texas, the rest of the south). Besides it's not like UVA is a slouch in NYC either. I checked out the V10 firms, and all of them have a slew of UVA grads except for Wachtell and Cravath. With his scholarship money and UVA's MUCH lower COL I just don't see the benefit of NYU for someone with the OP's tastes. Now if NYU poneys up some serious dough that would change the situation, maybe he can try to bargain based off of his UVA offer.
I guess I was not clear. As of now, I do not have any scholarship offer from UVA. But as a Virginia resident, my tuition is significantly lower than it would be at NYU, and the cost of living in Charlottesville is much lower. And I am optimistic that my numbers and residency status might put me in the running for some scholarship money from UVA, though it's by no means guaranteed, since they seem to factor in need and merit, and I probably don't demonstrate as much need as some because I've been working for a few years.

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 am

McNabb, did NYU torture you as a young child? Or did they just ding you?

Why do you go on every forum and make convoluted arguments about why NYU is really a T10 and not a T6?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:14 am

As much as I disagree with Kurama on some things, this isn't one of them.

If you don't want NYC BigLaw, it's difficult to see how NYU is in any way an obvious choice over UVA. NYU might have a slight edge in California, but in the rest of the country the two are probably about even. There's a reason NYU's reputational scores are consistently lower than many other T10s', and it's not because of NYC employers (who are probably all giving NYU a 5).

If this were Columbia or Chicago vs. UVA, I think it'd be much different. I'd take Columbia or Chicago over UVA for nearly every market in the country, including DC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scribelaw

Silver

Post by scribelaw » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:23 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:As much as I disagree with Kurama on some things, this isn't one of them.

If you don't want NYC BigLaw, it's difficult to see how NYU is in any way an obvious choice over UVA. NYU might have a slight edge in California, but in the rest of the country the two are probably about even. There's a reason NYU's reputational scores are consistently lower than many other T10s', and it's not because of NYC employers (who are probably all giving NYU a 5).

If this were Columbia or Chicago vs. UVA, I think it'd be much different. I'd take Columbia or Chicago over UVA for nearly every market in the country, including DC.
Is there any data that Columbia or Chicago places better in DC than NYU? (I'm genuinely curious -- my decision could be between CCN, and I'm interested in the DC market).

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Argh, things just got a lot more complicated. I visited UVA these past 2 days and really liked the school, but came away feeling like I would just get too sick of Charlottesville too fast. While there are a lot of things I liked about UVA, I decided I really want to go to NYU. Then I got home and discovered that UVA had offered me $25,000 per year. With in-state tuition, that would bring tuition under $15,000 a year (maybe more in subsequent years, since tuition usually goes up).

Now I don't know what to do! Oh yeah, and did I mention that since I posted this, I also got into Columbia and got a little bit of money from Georgetown, where part of me really wants to go because I don't want to leave DC?

Someone help me figure out what to do! I have too many choices! I know it's a great problem to have but that doesn't make it easy!

OneKnight

Bronze

Post by OneKnight » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:38 pm

democrattotheend wrote:Argh, things just got a lot more complicated. I visited UVA these past 2 days and really liked the school, but came away feeling like I would just get too sick of Charlottesville too fast. While there are a lot of things I liked about UVA, I decided I really want to go to NYU. Then I got home and discovered that UVA had offered me $25,000 per year. With in-state tuition, that would bring tuition under $15,000 a year (maybe more in subsequent years, since tuition usually goes up).

Now I don't know what to do! Oh yeah, and did I mention that since I posted this, I also got into Columbia and got a little bit of money from Georgetown, where part of me really wants to go because I don't want to leave DC?

Someone help me figure out what to do! I have too many choices! I know it's a great problem to have but that doesn't make it easy!
Congrats. Enjoy Columbia.

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 pm

OneKnight wrote:
democrattotheend wrote:Argh, things just got a lot more complicated. I visited UVA these past 2 days and really liked the school, but came away feeling like I would just get too sick of Charlottesville too fast. While there are a lot of things I liked about UVA, I decided I really want to go to NYU. Then I got home and discovered that UVA had offered me $25,000 per year. With in-state tuition, that would bring tuition under $15,000 a year (maybe more in subsequent years, since tuition usually goes up).

Congrats. Enjoy Columbia.
But I liked NYU better than Columbia, and I think it's a better fit.

Is there any chance that either NYU or Columbia would give me something in response to UVA's offer? I doubt they'd match it, but do you think if I wrote to NYU (or Columbia, for that matter) and said that it was my #1 choice but UVA offered me $25,000 a year and I'm having trouble turning that down, they'd give me anything?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:57 pm

LSlobbyist wrote: My thought? If OP ends up at UVA, he will end up kicking himself for not going to NYU. Seems like he's trying to justify paying sticker there, and that if he does not go there, he will spend the entire time wondering "what if."
this is dumb. there's a "what if" both ways, especially ITE. i know i've sometimes "what if" i had taken a bigger scholarship at a slightly lower ranked school. the grass is always greener...duh
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wackjickham

Bronze

Post by wackjickham » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:07 am

I'm in a similar boat, considering 75k (plus in state) at UVA vs 25/30k at NYU. I've been in Virginia my entire life and am sort of looking to get out and have a new experience, don't care where I end up too much as long as the work is interesting. Would I be stupid to turn down the (essentially) 75k at UVA?

democrattotheend

Bronze

Post by democrattotheend » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:22 am

wackjickham wrote:I'm in a similar boat, considering 75k (plus in state) at UVA vs 25/30k at NYU. I've been in Virginia my entire life and am sort of looking to get out and have a new experience, don't care where I end up too much as long as the work is interesting. Would I be stupid to turn down the (essentially) 75k at UVA?
I feel like if I got 30k at NYU it would be an easier decision. It would still be a big difference in terms of how much I'd have to borrow, but 30k would at least help me to justify NYU over UVA. Then again, I initially said the same thing about Georgetown, but now I feel like even with 30k I can't justify it, as much as I want to stay in DC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”