Cincy vs. OSU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Who?

Cincy
27%
OSU
73%

Total votes: 48

Notor

Bronze

Cincy vs. OSU

Post by Notor » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:44 pm

Any thoughts about comparing these two schools? Cincy seems to place extremely strongly in Cincinnati, whereas OSU appears to have no influence on that market. Columbus isn't really that large of a legal market, and Case is in Cleveland.

Cincy has about 100 fewer students per class than OSU.

Given some of these facts, which school is truly the best option in Ohio? If one wants to practice in Cincy, is attending Cincy more prudent than attending OSU?

thepcv

Bronze

Re: Cincy vs. OSU

Post by thepcv » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:05 am

If you absolutely want to be practicing in Cincy, then, UC is probably the better bet. If you want to practice anywhere else in the state of Ohio, OSU wins out.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 pm

thepcv wrote:If you absolutely want to be practicing in Cincy, then, UC is probably the better bet. If you want to practice anywhere else in the state of Ohio, OSU wins out.
Truth. If you are unsure go visit. They both feel very different. Cincinnati is small and intimate while Moritz is big just like everything at Ohio State. If you decide on Ohio State hollaatchaboy here I can give you the hook up in the form of a 4 bedroom for under 800 per month about 3-4 blocks away from the law school. It's a hidden gem that I lived in for undergrad

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:23 pm

Doritos wrote:
thepcv wrote:If you absolutely want to be practicing in Cincy, then, UC is probably the better bet. If you want to practice anywhere else in the state of Ohio, OSU wins out.
Truth. If you are unsure go visit. They both feel very different. Cincinnati is small and intimate while Moritz is big just like everything at Ohio State. If you decide on Ohio State hollaatchaboy here I can give you the hook up in the form of a 4 bedroom for under 800 per month about 3-4 blocks away from the law school. It's a hidden gem that I lived in for undergrad
I am in state and it is safe to say I've spent a great deal of time at both law school locations... I feel like I am going to attend one of them because I don't want extreme debt and I feel like they both offer solid employment options.

Any idea how much Case affects OSU's placement in Cleveland? I know OSU has almost no presence in Cincy, but people up north are fanatical about tOSU. I want someone to break this down hard.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:28 am

Notor wrote:
Doritos wrote:
I am in state and it is safe to say I've spent a great deal of time at both law school locations... I feel like I am going to attend one of them because I don't want extreme debt and I feel like they both offer solid employment options.

Any idea how much Case affects OSU's placement in Cleveland? I know OSU has almost no presence in Cincy, but people up north are fanatical about tOSU. I want someone to break this down hard.
Then look up the Cleveland firm offices (then post it here so I don't have to :D). I've never "broke it down hard," but I've scanned the big Ohio firms (Jones Day, SSD, Votyr, Schottenstein, Baker, etc.), and although I didn't do a full-on tally, it looked like OSU was viable for all three of the C-cities. Cincinnati was definitely very strong at the Cincy firms, but I have to wonder if it's because a lot of OSU kids self select to stay in Columbus (best quality of life of the cities), go to Cleveland (highest salaries pre-recession), or go out of state.

And yes, I do believe I'm going to make it my goal to bump every Ohio-related thread on TLS

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 am

TipTravHoot wrote:And yes, I do believe I'm going to make it my goal to bump every Ohio-related thread on TLS
I don't think you're the only one :D

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:04 pm

If you can go to OSU, go to OSU. It is by far and away the king of Ohio law schools. When I was researching law schools, I asked people in all fields of law about the relative merits of Ohio schools. 100% thought OSU was by far the most prestigious with Cinci/Case splitting the #2 vote. The people I talked to were about 80% Clevelanders, 20% Columbusers if that adds anything.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:08 pm

Are you talking law school or football? Because the Buckeyes are no longer the kings of Ohio, they got mauled by some bearcats.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:44 pm

scionb4 wrote:Are you talking law school or football? Because the Buckeyes are no longer the kings of Ohio, they got mauled by some bearcats.
I was talking about law schools, but if you think Cinci would have beaten OSU in football last year you've downed too much Big East Kool Aid

Also FYI: here are the final standings for reference.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:17 pm

scionb4 wrote:Are you talking law school or football? Because the Buckeyes are no longer the kings of Ohio, they got mauled by some bearcats.
don't be silly.

AKenter

New

Post by AKenter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 pm

I am curious. What advice would you give someone who is trying to decide between OSU and UC if that person could go to UC for $20,000 less in total?

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 pm

AKenter wrote:I am curious. What advice would you give someone who is trying to decide between OSU and UC if that person could go to UC for $20,000 less in total?
I think it depends on how much $20,000 plus interest means to you, and also how much you are paying to begin with. For example, if tOSU is sticker and UC is $20,000 less, I'd go with UC. But if we're talking about a full ride at UC and $20,000 more at tOSU, I'd personally choose tOSU in a heartbeat.

For the record, I went to Ohio State for undergrad. Maybe it was just an UG thing, but being part of that community for a few years is worth $20,000 in my opinion; it's pretty fucking awesome. Most people will probably disagree, but I tend to place a lot of value on life experiences.

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

You did watch the Fla game, right? Cinci looked like a scared red-headed stepchild who couldn't escape the wooden paddle again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

AKenter

New

Post by AKenter » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Upton Sinclair wrote:
AKenter wrote:I am curious. What advice would you give someone who is trying to decide between OSU and UC if that person could go to UC for $20,000 less in total?
I think it depends on how much $20,000 plus interest means to you, and also how much you are paying to begin with. For example, if tOSU is sticker and UC is $20,000 less, I'd go with UC. But if we're talking about a full ride at UC and $20,000 more at tOSU, I'd personally choose tOSU in a heartbeat.

For the record, I went to Ohio State for undergrad. Maybe it was just an UG thing, but being part of that community for a few years is worth $20,000 in my opinion; it's pretty fucking awesome. Most people will probably disagree, but I tend to place a lot of value on life experiences.
Could you tell me more about the OSU vibe? What is it that was so special? (I have not yet visited the school.) To give you more information, UC is offering me 9,000 and OSU is offering me 11,000. The 20,000 difference comes from the fact that UC offers the graduate metro rate for students who move to KY which would be great for me as I am not from Ohio and so could not gain in-state rates at OSU until my second year. It looks like the difference for me would be 90,000 vs. 110,000+. Thanks for your help! :)

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:52 pm

Doritos wrote:
Wait what? PM?

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:56 pm

OSU by far. Columbus is better than Cincinnati in terms of living experience alone.

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 am

Upton Sinclair wrote:

Heh, I was at OSU for undergrad for almost two years and I transferred out because I didn't think paying extra money to live away from home and go to that school was worth it. I'm not the partying type and to me that is what the vast majority of OSU undergrads are into doing. I mean jesus christ, how many times a week can you play beer pong and still find it enjoyable? I just never found people I clicked with too well there, so now I'm living at home and completing my degree as a commuter student at Akron. Maybe your experience was different.

All that being said, OSU is a law school I'm considering because it really is the best in Ohio. The prospect of living around campus again doesn't exactly tickle my wang, but I feel like if I go back and do things right, getting involved with law school extracurricular activities, and forcing myself to care about college football...I can enjoy it. Maybe.

edit: And I never understand what people mean when they refer to how great Columbus is. I don't just mean people on these forums, but even like on lists of "great cities for young grads" or whatever on yahoo. To me, Columbus seemed to be a lot like Cleveland (desolate, with commercial development in suburbs) except it happened to be home to the country's largest university. I understand the workforce is more white collar, so job prospects are better....but why is living there so overly appealing to people? I've seen it compared to San Francisco in terms of atmosphere, but whereas SF is a place I have and would again go on vacation, Columbus...uhh....why do people like Columbus??
Last edited by HarveyBirdman on Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 am

Also OSUOSUOSU!

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:09 am

HarveyBirdman wrote:
Upton Sinclair wrote:

Heh, I was at OSU for undergrad for almost two years and I transferred out because I didn't think paying extra money to live away from home and go to that school was worth it. I'm not the partying type and to me that is what the vast majority of OSU undergrads are into doing. I mean jesus christ, how many times a week can you play beer pong and still find it enjoyable? I just never found people I clicked with too well there, so now I'm living at home and completing my degree as a commuter student at Akron. Maybe your experience was different.
A few of my friends had that problem for UG. I think the LS is different, but I definitely know what you mean.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:12 am

I'm shamelessly bumping because it's an Ohio thread. As to the OP's questions, I went to OSU undergrad and could not imagine choosing UC over OSU in any situation.

ohiohawk58

New

Post by ohiohawk58 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:43 am

Notor wrote:
Doritos wrote:

case dominates cleveland.....osu and cleveland state are pretty tight for #2 placement for cleveland

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ohiohawk58

New

Post by ohiohawk58 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:43 am

Notor wrote:
Doritos wrote:

case dominates cleveland.....osu and cleveland state are pretty tight for #2 placement for cleveland

AKenter

New

Post by AKenter » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:58 am

Interesting. So it seems like no one favors U. Cincinnati. Is that true? Any Cincy defenders out there?

Upton Sinclair

Bronze

Post by Upton Sinclair » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:28 am

With all due respect to Harvey Birdman, if you aren't the partying type, what undergrad institution would you enjoy?

The vibe at tOSU is hard to describe, but you'll know it when you're there. Even the non-sports fans are 100% pro-Buckeye. If you aren't proud of being a student there at first, it will be shoved down your throat until you are. The law school is in a pretty cool spot; it's at the southern edge of campus (basically off campus). If you go a few blocks south, you'll be in the Short North, which is an awesome mix of restraurants and shops, provided you can deal with all the hipsters. A couple more blocks south, and you're downtown. If I was you, I'd find a place downtown. You'll be 5 minutes from Moritz, yet you'll be removed from the UG population. Plus you can find places downtown for reasonable prices.

Sorry this is a bit scattered, but I'm at work and trying to do a few things at once. Seriously, PM me if you want tOSU info. I'm always happy to talk about it.

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 am

I can't believe how many OSU undergrads there are on this forum, although I guess I shouldn't be too surprised since it is the largest or 2nd largest undergraduate university in the nation. I am also and OSU undergrad who is most likely going to OSU for law school. I withdrew from Cincy yesterday, because I love OSU and could not choose Cincy over them. Although some are correct in saying that the pro-Buckeye attitude can get shoved down your throat if your not an ardent supporter from the beginning (I was so it wasn't an issue), but I am not sure how prevalent that will be in the law school.

From my research and in my opinion, it seems if you want Cincy or Kentucky, then Cincy can be a great place to go, but if you want options all around Ohio as well as the slim outside chance of NY/Chi/DC then OSU is your best bet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”