CM Law ($$) v. Loyola-Chicago (sticker) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
combine

New

CM Law ($$) v. Loyola-Chicago (sticker)

Post by combine » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 pm

I am trying to decide between going to Cleveland-Marshall or Loyola in Chicago. These schools are very different, and its been hard for me to figure out the cost-benefit for each. I've been accepted at both, and I am expecting money from CM (it would also be instate for me, so very very cheap in comparison to sticker at a private school). What all do you think?

I would probably prefer to practice in Chicago rather than Cleveland, as I feel there is much more opportunity in Chicago (not sure if this is true or not) but I would also prefer to graduate with less than 150k in debt (Loyola could take me as high as 180k). Any thoughts? I know this is ME were talking about, but what would you guys do - go to school in Cleveland for cheap or shell out tons of money for Chi Town? Again, I would PREFER to be in Chicago, but I'm just not quite sure its worth it.

Thanks.

combine

New

Re: CM Law ($$) v. Loyola-Chicago (sticker)

Post by combine » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:58 pm

Some reads but no input.

Can someone just say one or the other to make me feel good?

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:26 pm

Well, obviously if you want Chicago, Loyola is going to be the way to go. However, 180K is too much debt for a non T14 school, IMO.

What about a retake?

combine

New

Post by combine » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 pm

I studied a decent amount for the one time I took it (in September), and have sorta convinced myself that I wil not retake. I'm sure if I studied for another year I could raise my score roughly 3-4 points, but I don't want to do this - its time for me to move on.

I'm leaning towards Loyola since I really want to be in Chicago.

BUT I am quite freightened by the 180k debt figure. Is it insane to even consider this much debt in order to attend a T2? If I manage to land an "average" job with my Loyola jd (lets say 60k a year), is this still too much debt to handle? Has anyone ever heard of someone paying off this amount of debt with a median salary? I'm OK with paying off debt til I'm 50, as long as I can live a realistically comfortable (not extravagant) lifestyle in the meantime.

I'm naive, help me out.

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:45 pm

Loyola has barely even started to give out financial aid and scholarships yet. Wait it out and see. You're right, though, it can can be an expensive venture. They just set tuition for next year at $37,380 (full-time).

You don't need to make a decision until April, so wait and see if Loyola will offer you anything. I've heard that over 2/3 of Loyola's students get some money from them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tallboone

Bronze

Post by tallboone » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:55 pm

it would not be good to take out that much debt to go to loyola-chicago. read this, but keep in mind it was BEFORE the recession: http://www.law.com/jsp/law/careercenter ... 8256428026

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 am

By $$, I assume you mean a half-tuition scholarship. In that case, I would pick CM. But only if you're ok with being employed in Cleveland.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:06 am

Considering I've never heard of Cleveland-Marshall (and that's not a good thing), I'm going to go with Loyola here...

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:13 am

Marshall is the law school of Cleveland State University. It's a T-3, but according to its numbers it seems like it is on the brink of T-2. Since Loyola is ranked 87th, it seems like they are pretty much peer schools as far as ranking goes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

peterswe

New

Post by peterswe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:05 pm

Right now I think I'm leaning toward CM for financial reasons. I'm going to be in debt up to my eyes either way (cause of some undergrad debt), but it would be SIGNIFICANTLY less going to CM (in state school, plus I am expecting a little money but not sure).

Also, just from my brief research it seems that CM has pretty good job prospects for a T3. They seem to have some good programs that connect students to their extensive alumni network in Cleveland. Case is the only other law school in Cleveland and it seems to share about the same employment prospects (despite costing way more).

I don't know a whole lot about Loyola, other than info in the few threads already on this forum.

So again, here's the choice I'm facing:

100k debt going to Cleveland-Marshall, working in Cleveland afterwards
or
180k debt going to Loyola, working in Chicago afterwards

I'm sorta struggling cause I could see myself in either city. I have family in Cleveland, but I know I'd enjoy the extra opportunity Chicago brings. Keep feeding me input if you can manage to do so. Thanks all.

peterswe

New

Post by peterswe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:07 pm

BTW I'm combine.

WVUguy11

Bronze

Post by WVUguy11 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:31 am

I also got into Cleveland today via letter with 50 percent scholly. From what I have gathered, do well at cleveland and big law is not out of the question, and CML places well in cleveland, akron, ect.

dissonance1848

Silver

Post by dissonance1848 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:35 am

Retake, the LSAT is learnable, and you can leverage it to save a lot of money, or increase substantially your chances of finding work that will enable you to pay off your debts.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

berkeleykel06

Bronze

Post by berkeleykel06 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:46 am

peterswe wrote:BTW I'm combine.
Way to out yourself :lol:

Do you think there is any possibility of a scholarship from Loyola based on your numbers, or are you fairly sure nothing's coming?

ATR

Silver

Post by ATR » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:51 am

Retake the LSAT and apply next cycle. ITE, neither of those schools is worth the debt you'll take on from attending.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Retake, if no then go to Cleveland and know that you will be stuck in Cleveland. /thread.

Snape

Bronze

Post by Snape » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:23 pm

combine wrote:I studied a decent amount for the one time I took it (in September), and have sorta convinced myself that I wil not retake. I'm sure if I studied for another year I could raise my score roughly 3-4 points, but I don't want to do this - its time for me to move on.

I'm leaning towards Loyola since I really want to be in Chicago.

BUT I am quite freightened by the 180k debt figure. Is it insane to even consider this much debt in order to attend a T2? If I manage to land an "average" job with my Loyola jd (lets say 60k a year), is this still too much debt to handle? Has anyone ever heard of someone paying off this amount of debt with a median salary? I'm OK with paying off debt til I'm 50, as long as I can live a realistically comfortable (not extravagant) lifestyle in the meantime.

I'm naive, help me out.
There are no "average" or "median" jobs in Chicago--at least not for graduating law student from Loyola (ok--there may be one every 4 years). But for all seriousness, you either are one of the 5% or less that land a firm job from connections or being top of your class or you're in the sub $40K range looking for hourly work...there isnt really any median 60K or 85K jobs in Chicago--sorry. What are your other potential career paths? Do you have a dad who runs a firm you can join for sure? I would seriously think about if law is right if these are your only options.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:27 pm

combine wrote:BUT I am quite freightened by the 180k debt figure. Is it insane to even consider this much debt in order to attend a T2?
Yes, far too much debt. Chicago is expensive to live in and Loyola has ridiculous tuition. Also remember that there are a number of schools feeding into Chicago that are much more highly ranked than Loyola.

As for CM, depends on what they offer and what conditions come with it. Wait a cycle and retake. Or wait a cycle and apply to more schools to get some better options.

Loyola at sticker is not an option, regardless of how much you want to work in Chicago.

The Gentleman

Silver

Post by The Gentleman » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Have you considered Akron? It's not that much more expensive than CM and it's generally regarded as a better school among NE Ohio attorneys.

But if the choice is CM or Loyola Chi, then pick CM. Colt McCoy > Jay Cutler

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”