UC San Diego Law School? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
im_blue

Gold

Re: UC San Diego Law School?

Post by im_blue » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:30 am

LvingLegend wrote:UC Santa Cruz needs a law school.
Don't forget UC Riverside and UC Merced!

bfarring

New

Post by bfarring » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 am

irishman86 wrote:UCSD is a party school. Horrible idea.
I seriously hope you are joking...

But as far as the topic goes, I think one thing to consider is that UCSD seems to be very focused on Science/Engineering as far as grad school. Then again, they also have a Top 10 PoliSci grad ranking. Who knows, but I doubt the UC system is going to pump money into another law school at this time.

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:50 pm

To non-Californians, UCSD is often confused with our neighbor SDSU

oh SDSU <3

Bhpreppy

New

Post by Bhpreppy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:38 am

1L at Cal Western here. UCSD and Cal Western are going to have a meeting tomorrow morning. Dean said their goal is to have the proposals voted on by the end of spring. If all goes well, with no setbacks, UCSD should have the law school by the end of 2010/early 2011.

I told you kids last year this was going to happen and you all laughed. Cheers.

sundaynightdelite

New

Post by sundaynightdelite » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:09 am

saltoftheearth wrote:
To non-Californians, UCSD is often confused with our neighbor SDSU

oh SDSU <3
UCSD and SDSU are like night and day. Anyone at SDSU can beat up anyone at UCSD. And anyone at UCSD can outsmart anyone at SDSU. Only saying...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haylie

New

Post by haylie » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:52 am

Bhpreppy wrote:1L at Cal Western here. UCSD and Cal Western are going to have a meeting tomorrow morning. Dean said their goal is to have the proposals voted on by the end of spring. If all goes well, with no setbacks, UCSD should have the law school by the end of 2010/early 2011.

Let's focus on the IF. IF ALL GOES WELL.

We know UC system moves at turtle pace when it comes to issues like this. Your school is optimistic in terms of setting the date, doesn't mean UCSD will likely follow through on that time line.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:23 am

saltoftheearth wrote:
hahahaa, I wish that UCSD were a party school
+1 do mix it up with SDSU
we have nothing but blacks

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:56 am

haylie wrote:
Bhpreppy wrote:1L at Cal Western here. UCSD and Cal Western are going to have a meeting tomorrow morning. Dean said their goal is to have the proposals voted on by the end of spring. If all goes well, with no setbacks, UCSD should have the law school by the end of 2010/early 2011.

Let's focus on the IF. IF ALL GOES WELL.

We know UC system moves at turtle pace when it comes to issues like this. Your school is optimistic in terms of setting the date, doesn't mean UCSD will likely follow through on that time line.
Ugh I hope this deal gets shut down. ITE it'll be hard enough graduating from a T1 school in already over-saturated Southern California.

lawrencecis

New

Post by lawrencecis » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:06 am

You have no idea what you are talking about. SDSU is a party school, hell, USD is more of a party school than UCSD.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:17 am

Kinda happy I applied to Cal Western, it's my dad's alma mater (made him laugh and smile when I told him :) ) and I have scores that should garner some scholarship consideration. If I ended up going, for other reasons, it'd be cool if UCSD ends up merging.

As for UCSD being a party school? I have no idea what their undergrad is like, but they have VERY strong graduate programs (kinda wish I was applying to the UCSD/SDSU joint clinical psychology program).

Edit: I do know what some of the undergrad is like: some fun. I had a friend in a frat there, partied a few times. One time, in particular, some girl sucked on my neck for what I can only assume was sport and spite at men in general. I started a new job the next day, so I had to drop by an ex-gf's house to have her put make-up over the area of my neck (read: all) that looked like a series of welts from tennis balls served by Andre Agassi. That was...fun.
Last edited by Great Satchmo on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:18 am

lawrencecis wrote:
You have no idea what you are talking about. SDSU is a party school, hell, USD is more of a party school than UCSD.
On that note, how is the USD student body (in many senses)?

I grew up in SD and I know that UCSD is legit, and SDSU is...well...SDSU. I never knew much about USD.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:00 am

What happens to the Cal Western students currently enrolled if the merger takes place? Will they be considered graduates of UCSD law school? Or will the graduating classes be separated?

Bhpreppy

New

Post by Bhpreppy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:05 pm

Graduates of UCSD

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:45 pm

Bhpreppy wrote:Graduates of UCSD
Yeah, I bet no one would complain about the upgraded law school name on their diploma. It'd be a different story the other way around (enroll at UCSD but get a Cal Western JD).

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:39 am

im_blue wrote:It'd be a different story the other way around (enroll at UCSD but get a Cal Western JD).
I think they already have that.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:38 pm

I don't think it will happen by the time current graduates get their diplomas. And I am betting that the deal will not allow old graduates to get a new UCSD diploma.
You're joking, right? When I was there it was a completely academic school. They don't' even allow frats on within a certain distance from the school.

tqd01

New

Post by tqd01 » Sun May 09, 2010 12:20 am

Norwood wrote:What happens to the Cal Western students currently enrolled if the merger takes place? Will they be considered graduates of UCSD law school? Or will the graduating classes be separated?
I went to the scholly day at Cal Western and from the impression I got it seemed that this was one of the setbacks they experienced in previous talks. I believe that they will NOT give the current students the UCSD name, only those that enroll AFTER the merging has began. Bad news for me (since I might be attending this fall).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon May 10, 2010 8:55 pm

tqd01 wrote:
Norwood wrote:What happens to the Cal Western students currently enrolled if the merger takes place? Will they be considered graduates of UCSD law school? Or will the graduating classes be separated?
I went to the scholly day at Cal Western and from the impression I got it seemed that this was one of the setbacks they experienced in previous talks. I believe that they will NOT give the current students the UCSD name, only those that enroll AFTER the merging has began. Bad news for me (since I might be attending this fall).
I don't think the name on your degree, or the cooperation of the schools, will do much in the marketplace for the graduate for a while.

Employers are still going to know what type of faculty and students are at Cal Western (not a bad thing, there seems to be a decent reputation), and until the UCSD (if it happens) merger begins to create a drastic uptick in stats for those who matriculate, as well as these students really getting out in the marketplace...I can't see employer relationships changing much.

BattlingBarrister

New

Post by BattlingBarrister » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:34 pm

tqd01 wrote:
I'm not sure what gave you that impression. The dean has stated pretty clearly the UCSD name would be retroactive for Cal Western graduates. Why would UCSD or Cal Western want to alienate their alumni base?

apropos

New

Post by apropos » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:33 am

Well seems like a worthy idea. Too bad they wouldnt be able to take over USD's law school. With such a strong faculty reputation, especially relative to its ranking, and its stronger rep in san diego, the UC name could really do something big there.
In fact, I think USD students might worry about if this goes through.

That said, I wonder if some of the faculty from USD would jump ship for the new Cal Western..

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 am

has there been any recent news on the subject? i searched using google news, but nothing came up

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

McNulty

Bronze

Post by McNulty » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:17 am

LvingLegend wrote:UC Santa Cruz needs a law school.
This was my UG, and if it ever had a law school, I'd laugh. We only started receiving letter grades in 1997. Although, the classic 'evaluations' helped with my letters of rec requests.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”