BU $$$ vs. Sticker @ Chicago, Penn, Berk Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thelawguy777

New

BU $$$ vs. Sticker @ Chicago, Penn, Berk

Post by thelawguy777 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:29 am

I got an early $100K from Boston University... I have also got an acceptance at Chicago, Penn, and Berkeley but with no money... Up to this point I have basically discounted BU completely... My goals are Big Law all the way in any market... Should I be considering the Boston University offer?

(I also have acceptances at other t7-14 schools but none of which I really want to attend)

Also, has anyone ever heard of leveraging some money at t14 schools by flashing a t-20 scholarship?
Last edited by thelawguy777 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Gold

Re: BU $$$ vs. Sticker @ Chicago, Penn, Berk

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:35 am

thelawguy777 wrote:I got an early $100K from Boston University... I have also got a ding at Chicago, Penn, and Berkeley but with no money... Up to this point I have basically discounted BU completely... My goals are Big Law all the way in any market... Should I be considering the Boston University offer?

(I also have acceptances at other t7-14 schools but none of which I really want to attend)

Also, has anyone ever heard of leveraging some money at t14 schools by flashing a t-20 scholarship?
With regard to your question, the answer depends on the market you're interested in and debt aversion.

Edit: There ya go.
Last edited by stratocophic on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:37 am

thelawguy777 wrote:I got an early $100K from Boston University... I have also got a ding at Chicago, Penn, and Berkeley but with no money... Up to this point I have basically discounted BU completely... My goals are Big Law all the way in any market... Should I be considering the Boston University offer?

LOL, ding means rejection! :o

thelawguy777

New

Post by thelawguy777 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:43 am

im_blue wrote:]

LOL, ding means rejection! :o
Please notice the correction... :-)

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 am

Chicago vs. BU?

Really?

....really?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:12 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Chicago vs. BU?

Really?

....really?
Biased much? :wink: Totally correct though

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 am

-
Last edited by fortissimo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

FuturehoyaLawya

New

Post by FuturehoyaLawya » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 am

thelawguy777 wrote:I got an early $100K from Boston University... I have also got an acceptance at Chicago, Penn, and Berkeley but with no money... Up to this point I have basically discounted BU completely... My goals are Big Law all the way in any market... Should I be considering the Boston University offer?

boston university is not a peer school, so it's not going to work (and i would be very surprise if it does).

you'll be debt-free (sort of....you may still have to take out loans for COL), but probably have a harder time finding a job if your not in the top 10% of the class or higher at BU! Chicago will probably open more doors than Boston (but you'll have no debt and most likely no job). I definitely would go with Chicago.....BU is just not on the same level as the other schools. Call the Chicago and Penn, see if you can be considered for merit aid. If you got so much money from BU, you must be a competitive applicant......

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:36 am

It's nice when your tough decisions are all good options. Congratulations!

Excluding COL, QOL, market preference, financial considerations/aversion to debt, my answer here is probably Chicago. It's the best. Penn and Berkeley give you pretty good chances of biglaw anywhere in the country also, so if you like one more than the other for one of the reasons listed above, I'd say you're safe to go with that. BU is a much riskier proposition. If you were not sure you wanted to do biglaw all your life then it might be nice to come out of law school with minimal debt, but this does not seem to be the case. HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:12 am

can't OP use chicago to get money from berkeley and penn?

englawyer

Silver

Post by englawyer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:26 pm

najumobi wrote:can't OP use chicago to get money from berkeley and penn?
i'd be surprised if that worked; i thought schools only negotiate based on dollars received elsewhere.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:24 pm

englawyer wrote:
i'd be surprised if that worked; i thought schools only negotiate based on dollars received elsewhere.
ahh...maybe that's the case...was just curious about negotiating options.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:29 pm

najumobi wrote:
englawyer wrote:
ahh...maybe that's the case...was just curious about negotiating options.
Maybe Penn, but still doubtful...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:32 pm

i wouldn't take BU over those schools without a full ride.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:10 pm

I, as an aspiring 0L and based on my impressions of what other people have said on this and other websites, declare that you should attend Chicago over BU with lots and lots of money. After all, $100,000 is an insignificant sum of money, in the grand scheme of things. Who would want to turn down an offer of one hundred thousand dollars for nothing in return, if given the choice? Not many people I know.

starstruck393

Silver

Post by starstruck393 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:13 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:I, as an aspiring 0L and based on my impressions of what other people have said on this and other websites, declare that you should attend Chicago over BU with lots and lots of money. After all, $100,000 is an insignificant sum of money, in the grand scheme of things. Who would want to turn down an offer of one hundred thousand dollars for nothing in return, if given the choice? Not many people I know.
:?:

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:15 pm

In addition, BU possesses less lay prestige than those other schools. I implore you to consider this factor when making your decision.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:18 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:I, as an aspiring 0L and based on my impressions of what other people have said on this and other websites, declare that you should attend Chicago over BU with lots and lots of money. After all, $100,000 is an insignificant sum of money, in the grand scheme of things. Who would want to turn down an offer of one hundred thousand dollars for nothing in return, if given the choice? Not many people I know.
ITT, someone ^ appears destined to cull themselves from the market by accepting a full ride to a TTT.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:22 pm

As someone who is probably happily attending BU next year, I still think Chicago or Berkeley if BigLaw is your goal. Maybe consider BU if you decide on the Boston market, but otherwise a no brainer. If you were talkign about Cornell or Georgetown, that might be different, but there is just too much distance between BU and Chicago or Berkeley. Berkeley will probably give you in-state tuition based on your other acceptances. And I do believe it is possible to leverage based purely on acceptances at peer schools, but not for much. Good luck, you have some great choices.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:39 pm

If you are "Big Law or Bust" and need major mobility, Chicago. If you are very debt adverse and don't need BigLaw and are willing to stay in Boston, BU.

Bronze

Post by 4910 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Chicago no doubt

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fortissimo

Silver

Post by fortissimo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:13 pm

-
Last edited by fortissimo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jnorsky

Bronze

Post by jnorsky » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm

If Big Law is your goal, and it will not change, it is pretty much an argument between Chicago and Penn. Berkeley is a great school, but not the BigLaw powerhouse that Penn and Chicago are. Especially for NYC. I would visit both schools and pretty much choose the one you like.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:53 pm

fortissimo wrote:
jks289 wrote:As someone who is probably happily attending BU next year, I still think Chicago or Berkeley if BigLaw is your goal. Maybe consider BU if you decide on the Boston market, but otherwise a no brainer. If you were talkign about Cornell or Georgetown, that might be different, but there is just too much distance between BU and Chicago or Berkeley. Berkeley will probably give you in-state tuition based on your other acceptances. And I do believe it is possible to leverage based purely on acceptances at peer schools, but not for much. Good luck, you have some great choices.
Penn typically places more into biglaw than Berkeley...so I don't get why OP would choose Berkeley over Penn if "biglaw" is his goal. Also, the UCs are being more stringent with residency requirements now that the state is bankrupt. My 2L friend got rejected for residency despite staying his 1L summer in CA. I wouldn't be surprised if they routinely reject more people for residency because they are broke.

Chicago is the obvious answer and I think Chicago places better than the other two schools in pretty much every metric.
I attended a UC for undergrad and my husband is a UC grad student. The only people who get turned down for residency are the ones who don't both to become actual residents. It takes more than just living here. You need to get a CA driver's license, register to vote, files taxes in CA, and pay utilitity bills, etc. But if you meet the residency requirements for a year, then they don't turn you down. Chicago is the best school overall, and Berkeley is every bit as good as Penn in quality and placement if not better, but cheaper. So why would anyone choose Penn?

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:58 pm

Chicago is the best school overall, and Berkeley is every bit as good as Penn in quality and placement if not better, but cheaper. So why would anyone choose Penn?
Problem is that the Boalt tuition is going up to 50k IN STATE. It won't actually be any cheaper. In fact, if OP is forced to pay the heinous 60k out of state tuition, it will cost more.

I think Chicago is the clear choice. The only thing that would make me consider BU in this case would be full ride + stipend.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”