George Mason Vs. American Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Diamond

Re: George Mason Vs. American

Post by BigZuck » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:33 pm

Both are festering dumps. Don't worry about the differences between the two.

Neither, retake

sah

New

Post by sah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:56 pm

Very interesting to read the old posts and see how much TLS CW has changed...goes to show what a couple of years of a moribund market, accurate employment stats, and Paul Campos can do. "Definitely definitely go to American if you want something international" - lolz.

OP, don't go to either unless you will graduate with <100k debt, and preferably <50k debt, and have realistic goals. Period.

sah

New

Post by sah » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:58 pm

Didn't read the original post fully. Unsure how you're financing it, but for lobbying, part-time makes sense. A friend of mine is doing this route. Keeps debt down, and will allow you to develop your resume and your contacts. DC is all about who-you-know. Just make sure you do not take out too much debt. Entry level Hill salaries are not good.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:12 pm

sah wrote:Didn't read the original post fully. Unsure how you're financing it, but for lobbying, part-time makes sense. A friend of mine is doing this route. Keeps debt down, and will allow you to develop your resume and your contacts. DC is all about who-you-know. Just make sure you do not take out too much debt. Entry level Hill salaries are not good.
Considering the OP was submitted over 4 years ago, I suspect that his/her choice, whatever it was has likely been made by now.

dibreezy

New

Post by dibreezy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:32 pm

LOL

I think he was referring to me as OP because I necromanced this thread.

COA at Catholic is <50k so I have to give it serious consideration. When I receive all of my responses I will begin attempts to negotiate.

And yeah PT is how I am doing law school. No point in having a law degree but being completely unable to relate with congressman and LAs. Even if its from Catholic...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mraemorris

New

Post by mraemorris » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:42 pm

As someone who also considered both schools, here's my two cents:

-American dropped several spots in rankings this year (I believe somewhere in the seventies), so the difference in prestige is greater. Also, its worth noting that, if you want to be a practicing attorney, I've heard Catholic is actually better at prepping you for that (though not prestigious).
-GMU in-state tuition is great, and their aid is on the generous side for the DMV area.
-My impression from the admissions department for both schools is that, while American has more money, GMU seemed a lot more interested in me attending their school than American did. GMU seemed to really care about their students and their tracks are really adaptable to what you want to do. Obviously, American is great with networking in DC, particularly for international interests.

I think you have to choose which is the right fit for you, because they're very different schools. Good luck with your choice - let us know what you do!

Edit: btw I actually got waitlisted at American - trying not to be a hater, but I thought I'd disclose :)

The Dark Shepard

Bronze

Post by The Dark Shepard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 pm

I got waitlisted at America too. That was kind of a WTF moment given I got in to GWU

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:11 am

dibreezy wrote:Because when pressed this is what I was told by lobbyist's that an individual with a law degree and Hill experience is all they are really interested in hiring.
So get a job on the Hill and go PT.

If you don't have Hill experience, you won't get a lobbying gig anyway, and it's much easier to survive them without a shitload of law school debt.

dibreezy

New

Post by dibreezy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:24 am

deuceindc wrote:
dibreezy wrote:Because when pressed this is what I was told by lobbyist's that an individual with a law degree and Hill experience is all they are really interested in hiring.

If you don't have Hill experience, you won't get a lobbying gig anyway, and it's much easier to survive them without a shitload of law school debt.
Yep. That's the plan.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fratstar1

Bronze

Post by fratstar1 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:26 am

GMU has cut enrollement in half from 300 to 150ish, maybe bump in employement statistics? WCL is where DC Law aspirations go to die.

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am

dibreezy wrote:
deuceindc wrote:

Yep. That's the plan.
So what exactly are you asking for advice about? None of these schools gives you a statistically-good shot at general legal employment - you can compare the numbers, but all are under 40% LT, FT legal employment after you subtract school-funded jobs. Your lobbyist-hiring source should be able to tell you which school would be better for that industry.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”