Honestly, how conservative is George Mason? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Honestly, how conservative is George Mason?

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:27 pm

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:27 pm

midwest17 wrote:
USAO-vet wrote:Haha! Slow my roll?!?!?! I fucking hate that stupid saying. When I was in college I remember going out with this little skank who said that to me when I made a move on her, trying to pretend like she didn't plan on choking on my ween a few minutes later. Oh, memories.
I take it back. You have all the makings of a fine prosecutor.
touche

Ramius

Gold

Post by Ramius » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:32 pm

I don't know your background and don't know your relationships with those high rollers, but just a caution: people reach that level of success in DC largely because they know how to schmooze. Some random "when you get out of law school, give me a call and I'll take care of you" is hardly enough to be any sort of firm offer. They owe nothing to you and they can easily screw you over, as they've likely been doing for their entire career.

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:39 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:I don't know your background and don't know your relationships with those high rollers, but just a caution: people reach that level of success in DC largely because they know how to schmooze. Some random "when you get out of law school, give me a call and I'll take care of you" is hardly enough to be any sort of firm offer. They owe nothing to you and they can easily screw you over, as they've likely been doing for their entire career.
True. Most of my confidence resides in the career folks that have been with the department for years and are respected, but I agree, the political types will have moved on and probably forgotten about me by the time for me to ask for their assistance comes. Thanks for the advice.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:02 am

USAO-vet wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
USAO-vet wrote:
twentypercentmore wrote:tually practicing law when you graduate? (*it's actually <40% chance, since the school funded jobs there are pretty bad.)

This is like asking, "Should I cut off my hand? I worry that I'll have a harder time tying my shoes."
What a little turd burgling know-it-all you are. If I decide to attend George Mason my COA will be ~10k a year because I'm instate and will be receiving a scholarship amounting to half tuition under the Yellow Ribbon Program because I'm a veteran. Additionally, my work experience has allowed me to rub shoulders with some our nations most preeminent lawyers, several of whom have already offered their assistance when I begin looking for employment after graduation. While you're selling your soul and getting shit on in Big Law (if you're fucking lucky) I'll be debt free, likely enjoying a fulfilling career as a federal prosecutor, actually trying cases instead of doing doc review and sucking on some partners balls. Cheers.
Hypersensitive douchebag much? Slow your roll, dude.
Haha! Slow my roll?!?!?! I fucking hate that stupid saying. When I was in college I remember going out with this little skank who said that to me when I made a move on her, trying to pretend like she didn't plan on choking on my ween a few minutes later. Oh, memories.
You disgust me.

Twenty's advice is legitimate. You asked for insight, he gave it. If he didn't know your circumstances, it's because you didn't share them. Holding that against him is ridiculous.
You're not special, so I recommend trying harder to be a decent person when you're asking for advice. Or pursuing women. Hell, being decent all the time would be great, but I wouldn't want to push you outside your comfort zone or anything. It doesn't sound like you're great with that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:16 am

You disgust me.

Twenty's advice is legitimate. You asked for insight, he gave it. If he didn't know your circumstances, it's because you didn't share them. Holding that against him is ridiculous.
You're not special, so I recommend trying harder to be a decent person when you're asking for advice. Or pursuing women. Hell, being decent all the time would be great, but I wouldn't want to push you outside your comfort zone or anything. It doesn't sound like you're great with that.
LOL. Legit advice would've actually addressed my question. I'm interested in knowing how conservative the school actually is. I don't need to hear someone's assessment on the cost/benefit of said school. TLS is frustrating because it is swarmed by a bunch of K-JD bedwetters that haven't had much life experience and are too easily taken with the monolithic belief that a law school is worthless unless it gives you a clear path to Big Law. Almost every fucking post reverts back to a simple, uniform response -- Big Law or bust. Bullshit.

midnight_circus

Bronze

Post by midnight_circus » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 am

USAO-vet wrote:
You disgust me.

LOL. Legit advice would've actually addressed my question. I'm interested in knowing how conservative the school actually is. I don't need to hear someone's assessment on the cost/benefit of said school. TLS is frustrating because it is swarmed by a bunch of K-JD bedwetters that haven't had much life experience and are too easily taken with the monolithic belief that a law school is worthless unless it gives you a clear path to Big Law. Almost every fucking post reverts back to a simple, uniform response -- Big Law or bust. Bullshit.
Twenty is none of the above.
However, he had absolutely no way of knowing that that's not what you were. This is your post.
USAO-vet wrote:Bump

Any more insight here? Tuition is cheap for in state and it's super convenient for me. Since I work in Alexandria and plan on attending an evening program, convenience is need. I'm considering Mason (over GW because of cost) if I don't get into Georgetown. Thoughts?
So chill out and show some respect. If you disparage the quality of the forum so much, why the hell do you want our advice?

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:27 am

midnight_circus wrote:
USAO-vet wrote:
You disgust me.

Twenty is none of the above.
However, he had absolutely no way of knowing that that's not what you were. This is your post.
USAO-vet wrote:Bump

Any more insight here? Tuition is cheap for in state and it's super convenient for me. Since I work in Alexandria and plan on attending an evening program, convenience is need. I'm considering Mason (over GW because of cost) if I don't get into Georgetown. Thoughts?
So chill out and show some respect. If you disparage the quality of the forum so much, why the hell do you want our advice?
The thread concerns the conservative reputation of the school. I thought that was clear.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 am

USAO-vet wrote:
You disgust me.

Becoming an AUSA is actually more competitive than getting BigLaw.

They don't even begin to look into hiring you until you have at least 3 years experience. So, obviously, your first 3 years practicing out of law school need to look very good. GMU doesn't give a very good chance at getting a job out of law school that is attractive to them. Most of the time, they don't even hire that many federal prosecutors with that little experience anyways. They bring in much more experienced litigators. Point being, it is NOT likely, especially from GMU, that you will become a federal prosecutor.

And, it won't really matter that GMU is conservative. It is that the job prospects are not very good.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:31 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Image
Who is that? She's cute.

Mojosodope

Silver

Post by Mojosodope » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:33 am

George Mason is pretty conservative.

Hope that answers your question, now quit being a tool.

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:37 am

In fairness, I missed the fact that this thread was three years old and that the OP has probably already made a gut-wrenchingly bad decision already.

...which is why it totally make sense that someone comes along and bumps this thread without giving out some super pertinent information, like, I dunno, their education would be free through the GI bill and that they don't actually care how conservative the school is.

Anyway. While I kind of just want to be a good sport and leave things alone, I feel like this particular gem really shouldn't be ignored:
I'll be debt free, likely enjoying a fulfilling career as a federal prosecutor, actually trying cases instead of doing doc review and sucking on some partners balls.
:D

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 am

HYSenberg wrote:
Who is that? She's cute.
Do the theaters not play the Hunger Games movies underneath that rock?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HYSenberg

Bronze

Post by HYSenberg » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:35 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
HYSenberg wrote:
Who is that? She's cute.
Do the theaters not play the Hunger Games movies underneath that rock?
Even my GF can't make me watch that garbage :P.

riverwater

Bronze

Post by riverwater » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:54 am

Last edited by riverwater on Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Typhoon24

Silver

Post by Typhoon24 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:01 am

There should be a distinction made between libertarians and regular conservatives. Even though I disagree with how right libertarians lean on some economic issues, they're still some of the coolest people ever.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:33 am

deadpanic wrote:
USAO-vet wrote:
You disgust me.

Becoming an AUSA is actually more competitive than getting BigLaw.

They don't even begin to look into hiring you until you have at least 3 years experience. So, obviously, your first 3 years practicing out of law school need to look very good. GMU doesn't give a very good chance at getting a job out of law school that is attractive to them. Most of the time, they don't even hire that many federal prosecutors with that little experience anyways. They bring in much more experienced litigators. Point being, it is NOT likely, especially from GMU, that you will become a federal prosecutor.

And, it won't really matter that GMU is conservative. It is that the job prospects are not very good.
This. Head to the legal employment forum and check out the many threads on getting DOJ Honors or any other government employment. Let me tell you this right now: those jobs are insanely competitive. They require top grades from elite schools and sometimes a federal circuit clerkship or biglaw. The people I know who work as federal government attorneys fit this profile. George Mason is not going to cut it unless you want to be a state prosecutor.

Based on the people I know who were offered and rejected, I would think the jobs are exempt from veterans preference or it does not play a huge role.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:37 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:they're still some of the coolest douchiest and most unjustifiably self-satisfied people ever.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 pm

I have a friend who ultimately chose George Mason over a bunch of peer schools because he was an ultra-conservative (when he was my roommate he locked himself in his room at 5:00 every day to lift weights while watching Glenn Beck) and liked how George Mason was conservative. He is now out of law school and unemployed. He told me to not go to a law school that isn't top 10 and to avoid the DC metro area at all costs. HTH.

USAO-vet

New

Post by USAO-vet » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm

jingosaur wrote:I have a friend who ultimately chose George Mason over a bunch of peer schools because he was an ultra-conservative (when he was my roommate he locked himself in his room at 5:00 every day to lift weights while watching Glenn Beck) and liked how George Mason was conservative. He is now out of law school and unemployed. He told me to not go to a law school that isn't top 10 and to avoid the DC metro area at all costs. HTH.
Literally LOL'ed at "he locked himself in his room at 5:00 every day to lift weights while watching Glenn Beck". Fuck. The faculty profiles read like a who's who of conservative causes and think tanks. I enjoy engaging others with different views, my fear is that the education would be slanted, though. For instance, being taught torts by a professor who's research focuses on advocating for caps on damages (one of the most reprehensible stances one can take, imo) would drive me fucking crazy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”