Should I apply to any other schools? 3.5, 155/164 Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
angioletto

Bronze

Should I apply to any other schools? 3.5, 155/164

Post by angioletto » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:54 pm

My LSAT re-take has me wondering if I should apply to more schools. I have a 3.5, 155/164. I live in NE Ohio and plan to work here forever. I am hoping to go into environmental law.

Schools I applied to:

Akron
CSU
Case Western
Ohio State

I am willing to relocate for the 3 years I am in law school but from what I have read it may not be a good idea since I will need to choose a school that will serve me well in this region.

Any thoughts on other schools I should apply to? (especially schools where I could have a good chance for a scholarship) I suddenly feel like I am selling myself short by only sending out 4 apps......

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Re: Should I apply to any other schools? 3.5, 155/164

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Cmon, with a 164, don't apply to Akron or Cleveland State. Akron gives you a full ride, but they have ridiculous requirements to keep the scholarship. Cleveland State is not much different in that regard.

Ohio State and Case Western are genuinely good schools and will place well both in your region and a bit outside it. Even if you are sure you want to work there, don't think about Akron or Cleveland State. With your numbers you should be a lock at both better schools, though more so at Case. I'm partial to Case, because of the intellectual environment of the campus, but Ohio State is a great school and if you like a huge campus, they're the choice.

Career prospects are pretty similar for both - good amount reporting and 105k median in private law, and good opportunities for public law if that's your thing.

Looking at LSN, Ohio State might offer you 8-12k a year. Case might offer 13-27k per year, but as a private they charge more tuition.

Edit: Yeah, throw out some apps to the bordering states, I guess. You could try Cincy, Pitt, IUB, and have Notre Dame as your reach. However, your numbers are probably a bit too low for a T14 or T20, so national schools besides ND are probably not in sight. You do have good numbers for your region, though. Actually sounds like a good position to be in - knowing where you want to live...forever. :)

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Thanks. It's not really where I *want* to live so much as all of my family and my husband's family live here so we want to stay close. On days like today (cold and snowy) I am very tempted to put in apps at the schools down south just for a 3 year vacation from winter. 8)

ETA: tuition at Case scares me a bit and there isn't enough data available for me guess whether I will get a decent scholarship.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Maybe throw in some apps to Indiana, Kentucky and Notre Dame for that region.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:43 pm

put in an app to Pitt, you'll prob. get 14k bc you're out of state and they still place very well in cleveland and that area. Also I would agree witht the above poster to send an app ot ND and Cincy... but I would still apply to Akron...why not? if thats what you want

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:41 pm

You're almost certainly going to get in at Ohio--the lower first round on the LSAT doesn't matter nearly as much as it used to.

You should apply to Notre Dame, as someone mentioned above, and you may want to consider throwing an app to MN as well... but it seems like Ohio is probably to you what Wisconsin was to me--outside of the T14, the most logical choice because of in-state tuition, located around where you want to work, solidly within your numbers range, etc.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:32 pm

You have a very good shot at IU Bloomington. According to LSN, they accept almost all with a 164+.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”