BERKELEY vs NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
23fulltimecowboys

New

BERKELEY vs NYU

Post by 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:10 am

I got into both of my dream schools. Set on environmental law. Which one I attend will almost certainly be decided by where my SO matches for residency. We're pretty settled on Berkeley (that is, her nearby residency) as #1 for her rank list, which is due in the next day or two. Haven't done a campus visit at either one (thought the chances were too slim, esp to travel across the country). Obviously won't know about money, but interested in PI and both have great LRAP. Berk also appears to match T14 offers (except NU).

Am I crazy for not pushing her into a less desirable residency near NYC? Anyone think the CA mess is going to make Berk tank? Penn is a somewhat distant third, only because of lack of real enviro program.

Thanks

pokey

New

Re: BERKELEY vs NYU

Post by pokey » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 am

Not to be harsh, but you should pick according to what you want. If you are going to stay together for a long time, then 3 years is not a big deal, you can visit and be together after law school.
If you are not going to be together long term, then...

Imagine how you would feel if you broke up and then later realized you decided according to her?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:15 am

23fulltimecowboys wrote:I got into both of my dream schools. Set on environmental law. Which one I attend will almost certainly be decided by where my SO matches for residency. We're pretty settled on Berkeley (that is, her nearby residency) as #1 for her rank list, which is due in the next day or two. Haven't done a campus visit at either one (thought the chances were too slim, esp to travel across the country). Obviously won't know about money, but interested in PI and both have great LRAP. Berk also appears to match T14 offers (except NU).

Am I crazy for not pushing her into a less desirable residency near NYC? Anyone think the CA mess is going to make Berk tank? Penn is a somewhat distant third, only because of lack of real enviro program.

Thanks
In a vacuum I'd take NYU, but I think Berkeley works just fine for your goals. I wouldn't push your SO into anything, as she might end up resenting you for it.

regatsrj

Bronze

Post by regatsrj » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:22 am

This is the ultimate Sophie's Choice in my book. I'm in at NYU, still waiting on Berkeley, and it's much better for my SO if we're in Berkeley. I'm not sure how I'd make this decision if it comes to that (although I suspect Berkeley will make that decision for me by giving me the big ding).

If, at the end of the day, all things are equal, why not just make the move that suits your girlfriend? Unless you have some very, very specific sub-discipline of enviro law you want to study, it seems like NYU and Berkeley open the same doors in that field.

Oh, but Berkeley doesn't have grades. Actually, that might be the tipping point for me in favor of Berkeley.

Good luck!

Boalt1L

New

Post by Boalt1L » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:26 am

Had same choice, picked Boalt over NYU, I can't do cold weather, just can't do it. I love Cali, no regrets to my decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:46 am

I would decide if I like the west coast or east coast better, the two schools are essentially peers.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:56 am

Helmholtz wrote:I would decide if I like the west coast or east coast better, the two schools are essentially peers.
This. The two schools have two very different placement markets. If you want to work in California it really doesn't make sense to pick NYU over Boalt barring drastic financial aid differences--the opposite is true if you want to work in NYC/east coast. Beyond that the schools are equivalent.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:18 am

23fulltimecowboys wrote:I got into both of my dream schools. Set on environmental law. Which one I attend will almost certainly be decided by where my SO matches for residency. We're pretty settled on Berkeley (that is, her nearby residency) as #1 for her rank list, which is due in the next day or two. Haven't done a campus visit at either one (thought the chances were too slim, esp to travel across the country). Obviously won't know about money, but interested in PI and both have great LRAP. Berk also appears to match T14 offers (except NU).

Thanks
FOLLOW THE DOCTOR

Boalt1L

New

Post by Boalt1L » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 am

Let me correct a piece of misinformation, Berkeley DOES NOT match other top 14 offers, they merely offer you the opportunity to try get a match. This program is highly competitive and most people dont get merit aid because Boalt allocates much more based on need. Matching is by no means a given.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:25 am

Boalt1L wrote:Let me correct a piece of misinformation, Berkeley DOES NOT match other top 14 offers, they merely offer you the opportunity to try get a match. This program is highly competitive and most people dont get merit aid because Boalt allocates much more based on need. Matching is by no means a given.
The DOCTOR will more than match your $$$. Choose the DOCTOR.

Or go "long distance" (and send me her #).

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:55 am

-
Last edited by postitnotes on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:01 am

I made the same choice last year, and picked Berkeley. I think maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of our class also got into NYU. I picked Berkeley mainly due to cost, as with financial aid and in-state tuition it cost me significantly less to go here. I absolutely love it, and I'm sure I made the right choice.

We do have a great environmental law program here, and being able to take an environmental elective as a 1L could be a big plus.

I think the schools are roughly equal and will give you very similar opportunities. It just comes down to personal interests and how important your relationship/geography is.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:04 am

postitnotes wrote:I'd pick NYU in a heartbeat, but that's personal preference.

Rationally, pick the cheapest one to attend, which probably is still NYU. Berkeley's OOS rate this fall is 50k, and the in-state will be 50k by your 2L/3L year. COL is about the same. Berkeley does have grades. Berkeley grades are just curved to P/H/HH instead of C/B/A.
Yeah, I do sort of have to agree that paying nearly $60k in tuition alone for Berk might give me some pause. But I still think whichever coast one would want to practice on would be the biggest factor.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:10 am

Helmholtz wrote:
postitnotes wrote:I'd pick NYU in a heartbeat, but that's personal preference.

Rationally, pick the cheapest one to attend, which probably is still NYU. Berkeley's OOS rate this fall is 50k, and the in-state will be 50k by your 2L/3L year. COL is about the same. Berkeley does have grades. Berkeley grades are just curved to P/H/HH instead of C/B/A.
Yeah, I do sort of have to agree that paying nearly $60k in tuition alone for Berk might give me some pause. But I still think whichever coast one would want to practice on would be the biggest factor.
It would. For someone with no ties to Cali Boalt is going to do them much better than NYU. For the east coast NYU will be stronger---in NYC it won't even be close.

23fulltimecowboys

New

Post by 23fulltimecowboys » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:08 pm

thanks for the advice, everyone. we both do hope to end up in the east ultimately, but would love to live on the west coast for school/res and maybe a few years after. a few people (and not all boalt grads) have argued that it would actually help when looking for a job out east, something like it would distinguish me from the legions of grads from eastern schools, but i'm guessing this theory won't fare well on TLS. network is most important for the first job, correct? so if i worked on the west coast for a couple of years while she did her fellowship it might be easier to come east?

lol'd at FOLLOW THE DOCTOR. pretty much.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:27 pm

-
Last edited by postitnotes on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:32 pm

financial aid for berkeley is probably not going to be as good as NYU. its a public school. and no matter what financial aid offer you get from berkeley this year, who knows if they'll be able to match it next year or the year after. if finances are a concern for you i would probably go to NYU. COL is similar for each (Berkeley you'd probably need/desperately want a car, NYU you wouldn't; otherwise Berkeley would be cheaper in that respect).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:35 pm

23fulltimecowboys wrote:thanks for the advice, everyone. we both do hope to end up in the east ultimately, but would love to live on the west coast for school/res and maybe a few years after. a few people (and not all boalt grads) have argued that it would actually help when looking for a job out east, something like it would distinguish me from the legions of grads from eastern schools, but i'm guessing this theory won't fare well on TLS. network is most important for the first job, correct? so if i worked on the west coast for a couple of years while she did her fellowship it might be easier to come east?

lol'd at FOLLOW THE DOCTOR. pretty much.

definitely. but that plan is contingent on you kicking ass in law school and getting a good job. but i really think you should be discussing this with your partner.

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm

rw2264 wrote:financial aid for berkeley is probably not going to be as good as NYU. its a public school. and no matter what financial aid offer you get from berkeley this year, who knows if they'll be able to match it next year or the year after. if finances are a concern for you i would probably go to NYU. COL is similar for each (Berkeley you'd probably need/desperately want a car, NYU you wouldn't; otherwise Berkeley would be cheaper in that respect).
You do NOT need a car in Berkeley. I don't have one, and a lot of the class doesn't either. Need based aid is also more generous at Berkeley than NYU, on average. You really can't predict what you will get at any school and just have to wait and see.

sfdreaming09

Bronze

Post by sfdreaming09 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:57 pm

I went to Berkeley for undergrad and I can tell you that you *absolutely* don’t need a car in Berkeley. I would say (among undergrads at least) only about 1/4-1/3 of students have a car. The bus system is usually very very good and BART will take you to SF and all around the Bay Area.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:16 pm

-
Last edited by postitnotes on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:46 pm

sfdreaming09 wrote:I went to Berkeley for undergrad and I can tell you that you *absolutely* don’t need a car in Berkeley. I would say (among undergrads at least) only about 1/4-1/3 of students have a car. The bus system is usually very very good and BART will take you to SF and all around the Bay Area.

TITCR. This one time, I decided to take the BART to the other places in the Bay Area besides SF. First, I rode it to San Jose. Then I rode it to San Rafael, on the other side of the Bay, and continued up to the wine country and Santa Rosa. Then, I rode it down to Palo Alto, Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz. I even rode it to Sunset, Golden Gate Bridge, and Golden Gate Park, and the Wharf! That was awesome.

No. That's not right. I think it must have been Oakland, Milbrae, Richmond, Hayward, and Pleasanton, because it doesn't go any of the places I listed above.

The BART is Nice to get across the Bay Bridge, but it really doesn't compare to most other systems There is really only one track going through one end of SF, through downtown, and it really only goes to suburbs otherwise. Get me a motorcycle, OTOH, and living in the bay area rocks. Lots to do and see, it just isn't all feasible with public transit from Berkeley.

postitnotes

Bronze

Post by postitnotes » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:48 pm

haha ^ The BART is very limited. Public transportation wise NYC is just much, much better than California's (both North and South).

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:00 pm

The Brainalist wrote:
sfdreaming09 wrote:I went to Berkeley for undergrad and I can tell you that you *absolutely* don’t need a car in Berkeley. I would say (among undergrads at least) only about 1/4-1/3 of students have a car. The bus system is usually very very good and BART will take you to SF and all around the Bay Area.

TITCR. This one time, I decided to take the BART to the other places in the Bay Area besides SF. First, I rode it to San Jose. Then I rode it to San Rafael, on the other side of the Bay, and continued up to the wine country and Santa Rosa. Then, I rode it down to Palo Alto, Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz. I even rode it to Sunset, Golden Gate Bridge, and Golden Gate Park, and the Wharf! That was awesome.

No. That's not right. I think it must have been Oakland, Milbrae, Richmond, Hayward, and Pleasanton, because it doesn't go any of the places I listed above.

The BART is Nice to get across the Bay Bridge, but it really doesn't compare to most other systems There is really only one track going through one end of SF, through downtown, and it really only goes to suburbs otherwise. Get me a motorcycle, OTOH, and living in the bay area rocks. Lots to do and see, it just isn't all feasible with public transit from Berkeley.
If you're in law school, you don't have time to go to those places anyway. If you go anywhere, you go to SF. You absolutely don't NEED a car as a law student here, provided you aren't commuting from some crazy place. Seriously, you will not have time to go run over to Half Moon Bay and putz around.

The Brainalist

Bronze

Post by The Brainalist » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:10 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
The Brainalist wrote:

If you're in law school, you don't have time to go to those places anyway. If you go anywhere, you go to SF. You absolutely don't NEED a car as a law student here, provided you aren't commuting from some crazy place. Seriously, you will not have time to go run over to Half Moon Bay and putz around.
WTF are non-grades for if not surfing? Seriously, where is my quality of life boost for choosing Berkeley, then? May as well go to Cornell.

And you can't even go most places in SF on the BART. The financial district, tenderloin, Castro/Mission. I think that's it. Sunset, haight/ashbury, wharf, golden gate/presidio, chinatown, little tokyo, little italy, north beach, lake merced. Like 90% of SF is not really accessible from the bart. Granted, getting to the financial district or the mission is something, but it hardly makes it a "great" public transit system. You are looking at a day trip anytime you want to do something besides get a taco at Mission.

The problem is that the Bay Area is awesome, but you need a car to really enjoy it. Otherwise, it may as well be Cornell.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”