Mich vs. UVA vs. GULC for public interest Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Mich vs UVA vs GULC

Michigan
54%
Virginia
38%
Georgetown
9%

Total votes: 56

tangential886

New

Mich vs. UVA vs. GULC for public interest

Post by tangential886 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:45 pm

Rankings aside, for public interest or human rights programs specifically, which school is best?

EDIT: Poll added.
Last edited by tangential886 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

najumobi

Silver

Re: Mich vs. UVA vs. GULC for public interest

Post by najumobi » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:01 pm

tangential886 wrote:Rankings aside, for public interest or human rights programs specifically, which school is best?
you should probably put up a poll. i'd vote for michigan. according to usnews a greater percentage of 2008 michigan graduates than uva or gulc grads took pi positions (6% to 3% and 4%). According to NLJ, for 2007, it was ~8% to ~3% and 4%.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:14 pm

UVA hands down.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:58 pm

najumobi wrote:
tangential886 wrote:Rankings aside, for public interest or human rights programs specifically, which school is best?
you should probably put up a poll. i'd vote for michigan. according to usnews a greater percentage of 2008 michigan graduates than uva or gulc grads took pi positions (6% to 3% and 4%). According to NLJ, for 2007, it was ~8% to ~3% and 4%.
Hard to draw inferences from that beyond 'such a minuscule number of people actually do PI from these schools that you'll probably be set no matter what'. Since you aren't going to be paying down those loans quickly on a PI salary, I'd recommend you A) got to a T14 for the long-term benefit but after that B) go to the cheapest school. That will all but certainly be UVA or Michigan.

snickersnicker

Bronze

Post by snickersnicker » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:42 pm

Michigan. One of the best LRAPs in the nation and plenty of PI clinics.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Michigan has the best LRAP out of the 3. It's purely income based too so as long as you work any kind of legal job you can qualify for LRAP. Also, a higher percentage at Mich go into PI than at the other two schools.
Last edited by irishman86 on Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Michigan

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:53 pm

When comparing LRAPs, look into how they treat spousal income. IIRC Michigan's LRAP considers your income to be the higher of (1) yours (2) average of you & spouse. I think a lot of people forget about this factor because marriage seems so far off, but you won't start getting LRAP benefits for 3-4 years (if you're a 0L) and you may want to continue receiving them for a few years or more thereafter.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:55 pm

Aeroplane wrote:When comparing LRAPs, look into how they treat spousal income. IIRC Michigan's LRAP considers your income to be the higher of (1) yours (2) average of you & spouse. I think a lot of people forget about this factor because marriage seems so far off, but you won't start getting LRAP benefits for 3-4 years (if you're a 0L) and you may want to continue receiving them for a few years or more thereafter.
oh really? so if your spouse is unemployed...you can reap in the jackpot?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:58 pm

irishman86 wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:When comparing LRAPs, look into how they treat spousal income. IIRC Michigan's LRAP considers your income to be the higher of (1) yours (2) average of you & spouse. I think a lot of people forget about this factor because marriage seems so far off, but you won't start getting LRAP benefits for 3-4 years (if you're a 0L) and you may want to continue receiving them for a few years or more thereafter.
Yes. And pay through the teeth for his/her living expenses.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:59 pm

irishman86 wrote:
They take the higher of the two. So if you make $50K and spouse is unemployed, the two amounts would be $50K and $25K. For LRAP purposes your income would be $50K, the higher.

Disclaimer: this is what I remember from looking at it a long time ago and anyone interested should look it up for themselves because I could be mis-remembering. I'm not the expert on LRAP's, just want to remind OP & others to think about this variable. It can be a game-changer in terms of which LRAP is better.
Last edited by Aeroplane on Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:01 pm

sorry, read it as lower. Didn't hear about that...but then again I've learned everything about LRAPs via this thread:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 15&t=62094

Here's the LRAP thread.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 pm

I think some more information is necessary.

1. Where?
2. What kind? Advocacy/Litigation/etc.

That said, probably not GULC.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Kohinoor wrote:UVA hands down.
+1

tangential886

New

Post by tangential886 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:00 pm

GeePee wrote:I think some more information is necessary.

1. Where?

That's the thing--I'm not really sure exactly what type of public interest law I want to do yet and want to have all my options open. I am really interested in refugee rights and international law, but would also be happy as a public defender. My dream job would be with an organization like UNHCR or Amnesty International. Location doesn't so much matter though I'm from the Southeast and feel ties to the region.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:06 pm

tangential886 wrote:
GeePee wrote:I think some more information is necessary.

1. Where?

That's the thing--I'm not really sure exactly what type of public interest law I want to do yet and want to have all my options open. I am really interested in refugee rights and international law, but would also be happy as a public defender. My dream job would be with an organization like UNHCR or Amnesty International. Location doesn't so much matter though I'm from the Southeast and feel ties to the region.
The fact that:

1. Your PI jobs that you like seem to either have International or gov't interests.
2. You have ties to the south.
3. The most robust market for your target jobs will be D.C.

pretty much makes this a no brainer. UVA all the way.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:07 pm

Look, lot's of people are saying Michigan is great for PI and YES the high levels of crime and poverty in Detroit create wonderful opportunities for outreach BUT let's not underestimate the homeless problem in Charlottesville here.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Wherever you get the most money. Also wherever you think you'd be happiest. I'd personally go for UVA, but none of these are bad schools.

It also depends on what you want to do. Government work? I'd pick GULC or UVA since they're closer to DC.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 pm

As it stands UVA's LRAP is pretty bad. It's one of the worst of the T-14 at the moment. However, I think UVA is revamping it some time in the next couple of years. I have no idea what it's going to look like but you should research on your own what each LRAP will look like for you.

As for Georgetown, it's pretty much out of the picture completely. Worse placement, worse LRAP, worse everything compared to the other two schools. Being close to DC does not spare schools and Georgetown got really owned this past OCI (where fed agencies also recruit), worse than any other T-14. DC is still hard to place for every school except HYS as it's the hardest primary market to break into.

ArmyVet07

New

Post by ArmyVet07 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pm

If you're considering the policy side of PI, one factor not mentioned yet is that Michigan has the strongest public policy school. Even if you're not interested in a joint degree, you could still take a course or two.
http://www.fordschool.umich.edu/

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:59 pm

Virginia is in the process of changing their LRAP right now -- and by now, I do mean as we speak. That being said, I haven't found out when it will be available or how much better it will be.

Take Virginia or Michigan, whichever gives you more money.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:19 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”