UF versus Case Western Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
spitfire935

New

UF versus Case Western

Post by spitfire935 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi all,

So the two top schools on my list are Case Western and the University of Florida. I am from Florida and have spent my undergrad in North Carolina. I like both schools equally and it is hard to decide. I surprisingly love Cleveland! Also, the difference in tuition will not be a factor worth considering for various reasons (schollys, etc).

I am just curious which school will be better for job placement. I am looking into land use, environmental, and real estate law but I'm sure that will change throughout school.

FWIW, my girlfriend of 2 years graduated a year early and lives in Cleveland. I really just need some perspective on my choices. I am glad to be in this position, but need a definite by April! Any advice is welcome.

sarlis

Silver

Re: UF versus Case Western

Post by sarlis » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:49 pm

For those schools, it depends on which region you want to live and work in. For Florida, and the south, UofF would be the school to choose. For Ohio, Case would be preferable to UofF.

I am also applying to Case. Good Luck!

civey2

New

Post by civey2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:55 pm

This one is easy for me as a University of Tennessee undergrad and an applicant to Case.

Florida is horrible..........GO VOLS!!!!!

As for people's opinion on Case, I am interested to hear.

Scurredsitless1

Bronze

Post by Scurredsitless1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm in northwestern PA and Case seems to have a good reputation around here. But I cannot imagine why someone would choose cleveland over florida. It's cold and flat here. Next time I leave my home, I'm going to have to scrape ice off my windshield.

spitfire935

New

Post by spitfire935 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:40 pm

Very funny civey2, however I am one of the few Seminoles fans still around so the SEC doesn't matter to me. I have visited case and they seem to have a lock on international law. It's kind of expensive, but a good area to be in (top 10 legal markets in US). However, UF is the school in FL and a great bargain.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tarheels19

New

Post by tarheels19 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:01 am

i went to undergrad in NC (UNC) and am a current 1L at case.. if you have any questions about the school or program feel free to ask

in terms of job prospectus it's apples and oranges.. would you prefer to be in FL or the Midwest?? a degree from Case has more portability outside of it's region, and i know FL is one of the top 5 states that we have the most alumni in

i visited UF for football in high school, and although a great college town and alot of fun..not sure if i'd want to spend 3 years of law school in that setting, especially after completing my first semester of law school

JMBrown32

New

Post by JMBrown32 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:44 pm

spitfire935 wrote:Very funny civey2, however I am one of the few Seminoles fans still around so the SEC doesn't matter to me. I have visited case and they seem to have a lock on international law. It's kind of expensive, but a good area to be in (top 10 legal markets in US). However, UF is the school in FL and a great bargain.

Big Seminoles fan here as well. That said, the choice seems pretty clear: if you want to live in Florida, go to UF, if you want to live in Ohio or the midwest, go to Case. I understand the girlfriend living in Cleveland certainly plays in to the equation, but I guess it's up to you to decide how important that is. Also, while I've heard UF is a fun place to be for undergrad, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 3 years of law school there.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you considering FSU?

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 am

I am a 1L at Case right now. Give me a PM and I will try to give you some more information.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 am

I can answer questions you have about UF. (1L).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 am

thexfactor wrote:I am a 1L at Case right now. Give me a PM and I will try to give you some more information.
i just pmed you.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:06 am

I've been having an email correspondence with a UF alumni from 2007 who is partner at a Biglaw firm in FL who works in land use.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:09 am

spitfire935 wrote:Very funny civey2, however I am one of the few Seminoles fans still around so the SEC doesn't matter to me. I have visited case and they seem to have a lock on international law. It's kind of expensive, but a good area to be in (top 10 legal markets in US). However, UF is the school in FL and a great bargain.
Wait...what?

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:23 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
Wait...what?
Based on Martindale, Miami is the 11th largest legal market in the US (which would make this statement would incorrect regardless); however, Martindale's database is not necessarily an accurate, verifiable representation. Source: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =2&t=71430

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:29 am

But he's talking about Case--and therefore, Cleveland--in that post, isn't he?

elcielo36

New

Post by elcielo36 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:31 am

I'm not a UF Law student but as an undergrad I had the opportunity to cover symposia (as a magazine writer) hosted by UF Law on environmental and land use law and was really impressed by the caliber of research - there was a lot of talk about conservation, coastal / maritime issues and sustainable building...which are particularly relevant in Florida. The Public Interest Environmental Conference is student-run and organized.

djp505

New

Post by djp505 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:51 am

I think both schools are probably about equal in their regions, and if you don't have a strong feeling toward either school or either location, you can't really go wrong with either one. Sounds to me like the girlfriend should be the tiebreaker. If it's a serious relationship that you truly want to continue, and the schools are both equal to you, sounds like you should go to Case. Why strain the relationship and make it complicated if you can live in the same city as your girlfriend and go to a school you're happy about attending? Sounds like a win-win to me!

Good luck!

minuit

Silver

Post by minuit » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:54 am

if you want to go into land use and environmental law, you should be going to FSU - best environmental program in the state, 11th in the nation!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

daddymike

New

Post by daddymike » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:11 pm

Case as a law school has always been controversial. One one hand, it is "only" ranked 55 in the USNWR, but on the other hand, the university's name as a whole is recognized as one of the best in the country. If tuition is really not an issue, I would pick Case. Hands down.

Lomax

Bronze

Post by Lomax » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:16 am

How much do you like this girl, spitfire935? If you seem headed towards marriage, then by all means pick Case (unless she happens to be willing to move to Gainesville). See The Devil's Advocate to find out what happens when one strives to build one's career at the expense of one's relationships. Otherwise, I would definitely go with the University of Florida. I don't know about you, but I rather like the idea of enjoying the view of Biscayne Bay from my office window, then hitting South Beach in 80 degree weather, then heading up to my high-rise condo with the windows open to let in the sea breeze while some poor schmuck in Ohio freezes his butt off shoveling snow off of his driveway so that he can make a court date. You know why all those old people in Florida who everyone complains about went there to retire? Quite simply, it's because Florida's better than wherever they came from, and they knew it.

The numbers indicate that so long as you do well in law school, you will most likely find satisfactory employment coming out of either Case or UF. The jobs you find would likely be limited in terms of geographic distribution to the regional strongholds of each school. Even if you're making more money in Ohio, I don't see how you're be better off there than in Florida, where you have the superior quality of life and, I assume, your family (you said you're from Florida). You also have the peace of mind that comes with already knowing the area where you'd be living - knowing, presumably, that you're not going to learn later that you hate living there. In conclusion, maybe it would be best for you to use your skills of persuasion to convince your girlfriend to make the trip south with you.

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:39 am

Lomax wrote:How much do you like this girl, spitfire935? If you seem headed towards marriage, then by all means pick Case (unless she happens to be willing to move to Gainesville). See The Devil's Advocate to find out what happens when one strives to build one's career at the expense of one's relationships. Otherwise, I would definitely go with the University of Florida. I don't know about you, but I rather like the idea of enjoying the view of Biscayne Bay from my office window, then hitting South Beach in 80 degree weather, then heading up to my high-rise condo with the windows open to let in the sea breeze while some poor schmuck in Ohio freezes his butt off shoveling snow off of his driveway so that he can make a court date. You know why all those old people in Florida who everyone complains about went there to retire? Quite simply, it's because Florida's better than wherever they came from, and they knew it.

The numbers indicate that so long as you do well in law school, you will most likely find satisfactory employment coming out of either Case or UF. The jobs you find would likely be limited in terms of geographic distribution to the regional strongholds of each school. Even if you're making more money in Ohio, I don't see how you're be better off there than in Florida, where you have the superior quality of life and, I assume, your family (you said you're from Florida). You also have the peace of mind that comes with already knowing the area where you'd be living - knowing, presumably, that you're not going to learn later that you hate living there. In conclusion, maybe it would be best for you to use your skills of persuasion to convince your girlfriend to make the trip south with you.

Sigh.... sometimes when the weather is really really cold, i kick myself for not going to umiami.
I hate to say it but lomax is partially right. I just imagine that the white stuff on the ground is white sand ;).
However, I think the people who finish near the top of their class top 10 and 20% at Case have a better chance of getting a job in other regions of the US. IE NYC and LA.
My roommate is a 3L at case. He told me a couple years ago, about 10% -15% of the class would get some kind of biglaw offer. Then midlaw would hire another 15% or so. So the top 1/3 would get pretty decent jobs. No one knows how deep they will reach in the next couple years but im sure the same problem exists at UF and Miami.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:00 pm

thexfactor wrote:Sigh.... sometimes when the weather is really really cold, i kick myself for not going to umiami.
I hate to say it but lomax is partially right. I just imagine that the white stuff on the ground is white sand ;).
However, I think the people who finish near the top of their class top 10 and 20% at Case have a better chance of getting a job in other regions of the US. IE NYC and LA.
My roommate is a 3L at case. He told me a couple years ago, about 10% -15% of the class would get some kind of biglaw offer. Then midlaw would hire another 15% or so. So the top 1/3 would get pretty decent jobs. No one knows how deep they will reach in the next couple years but im sure the same problem exists at UF and Miami.

It was a completely different world a couple years ago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:01 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
thexfactor wrote: My roommate is a 3L at case. He told me a couple years ago, about 10% -15% of the class would get some kind of biglaw offer. Then midlaw would hire another 15% or so. So the top 1/3 would get pretty decent jobs. No one knows how deep they will reach in the next couple years but im sure the same problem exists at UF and Miami.

what do you mean?

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:38 pm

thexfactor wrote: No one knows how deep they will reach in the next couple years but im sure the same problem exists at UF and Miami.
UF is currently getting hammered by the economy, in all fairness.

GatorStudent

Bronze

Post by GatorStudent » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:45 pm

JMBrown32 wrote: That said, the choice seems pretty clear: if you want to live in Florida, go to UF, if you want to live in Ohio or the midwest, go to Case. I understand the girlfriend living in Cleveland certainly plays in to the equation, but I guess it's up to you to decide how important that is. Also, while I've heard UF is a fun place to be for undergrad, I'm not sure I'd want to spend 3 years of law school there.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you considering FSU?
This is credited. The OP really needs to sit down and figure out where he wants to live in the long-term.

I would also consider cost. I (think) that you stated that you're a Florida resident, so it would be very cheap to go to UF. (Keep in mind that if you're not a resident anymore, they've made it more difficult to claim residency status, or at least it seems so based on the statutory changes.) I don't know Case's cost, so I can't comment on that. I will say, though, that 0L's need to even more seriously consider the cost of law school, as the legal economy is terrible and may continue to be for many people and schools.

Additionally, keep in mind that many people's minds change wrt the type of law they want to practice after taking law school classes. What seems exciting to you as a 0L may seem different after taking classes. Just a heads-up.

And, yes, you really need to consider FSU.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:13 pm

sarlis wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
thexfactor wrote: My roommate is a 3L at case. He told me a couple years ago, about 10% -15% of the class would get some kind of biglaw offer. Then midlaw would hire another 15% or so. So the top 1/3 would get pretty decent jobs. No one knows how deep they will reach in the next couple years but im sure the same problem exists at UF and Miami.

what do you mean?
The legal job market is a shadow of its former self.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”