Fordham vs Cornell? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
OperaSoprano

Gold

Re: Fordham vs Cornell?

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:33 pm

dresden doll wrote:If the point of this thread is to assess the worth of Cornell relative to worth of happiness OP would experience at being able to stay in NYC, it should never have been started in the first place. We can't possibly know how happy OP would be at Fordham, what it would mean to her and how it compares to better prospects she's practically sure to have out of Cornell. Only OP can make that assessment.

All we can do is offer thoughts on what the choice should objectively be under given circumstances (i.e. money, goals, etc.). The only person who can properly account for subjective factors such as proximity to family is OP herself.
The subjective stuff is always the hardest, but IMO it's the most important. I remember your epic decision thread, and all the ones I made before my decision got made for me. :lol:

It's not easy, but OP has the support of people who've been down this road before. Anyone can do research and pull up the numbers; the difficult part is figuring out what those numbers ought to mean to her in light of her personal situation.

Sorry, ENFP tendencies coming out. The board is full of INTJs who look at things differently. I think the best we can do for her is to give her multiple viewpoints and sources for information. It did seem from her initial post that her decision would need to encompass things beyond salary data and placement rates, and these are valid decision components.

In her shoes, I would be asking Fordham for money right now. If unsuccessful, I would have to think long and hard about what mattered to me.

fsohn

Bronze

Post by fsohn » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:52 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
dresden doll wrote:If the point of this thread is to assess the worth of Cornell relative to worth of happiness OP would experience at being able to stay in NYC, it should never have been started in the first place. We can't possibly know how happy OP would be at Fordham, what it would mean to her and how it compares to better prospects she's practically sure to have out of Cornell. Only OP can make that assessment.

All we can do is offer thoughts on what the choice should objectively be under given circumstances (i.e. money, goals, etc.). The only person who can properly account for subjective factors such as proximity to family is OP herself.
The subjective stuff is always the hardest, but IMO it's the most important. I remember your epic decision thread, and all the ones I made before my decision got made for me. :lol:

It's not easy, but OP has the support of people who've been down this road before. Anyone can do research and pull up the numbers; the difficult part is figuring out what those numbers ought to mean to her in light of her personal situation.

Sorry, ENFP tendencies coming out. The board is full of INTJs who look at things differently. I think the best we can do for her is to give her multiple viewpoints and sources for information. It did seem from her initial post that her decision would need to encompass things beyond salary data and placement rates, and these are valid decision components.

In her shoes, I would be asking Fordham for money right now. If unsuccessful, I would have to think long and hard about what mattered to me.
I'm an INTJ, and I fully agree with this post.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:55 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:

High five ENFPs are the shit.

I think everyone takes personal considerations into where they want to go to law school, for example, I would not have taken UVA over UCLA. But if you're going to ask other people, they're just going to give you an objective answer.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:12 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:

Funny you should mention my 50 page decision thread because it just crossed my mind how useless it became the moment I realized it was all boiling down to whether I'd want to live apart from SO or not. No one on that thread, no matter how intelligent or knowledgeable - and God knows I received tons of incredibly useful information - could answer that for me. No one knew my relationship. No one could tell how I'd feel one way or the other. I simply had to figure that one out on my own.

Thus, if this decision is really boiling down to personal considerations, any posts this thread generates will, at best, be of highly limited value for the OP.

-ENTJ

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:46 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

High five ENFPs are the shit.

I think everyone takes personal considerations into where they want to go to law school, for example, I would not have taken UVA over UCLA. But if you're going to ask other people, they're just going to give you an objective answer.
Yay, another ENFP! I think there are three of us now, lol. I would not have left NYC for anything short of HYS or Berkeley. I can't drive, so Cornell, as awesome as it is, would have been a very isolating experience for me. I am an unusual case, and I would never presume to tell someone else that my personal choices were right or best. My decision was simple, because in calling off my retake, I prevented myself from achieving necessary numbers for Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:54 pm

dresden doll wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:

Funny you should mention my 50 page decision thread because it just crossed my mind how useless it became the moment I realized it was all boiling down to whether I'd want to live apart from SO or not. No one on that thread, no matter how intelligent or knowledgeable - and God knows I received tons of incredibly useful information - could answer that for me. No one knew my relationship. No one could tell how I'd feel one way or the other. I simply had to figure that one out on my own.

Thus, if this decision is really boiling down to personal considerations, any posts this thread generates will, at best, be of highly limited value for the OP.

-ENTJ
Dresden, my dear ENTJ, your thread was valuable because of all the love and support it brought out. People cared about your decision and your happiness... 50 pages worth. I still go back and read the thread Hoff made me from time to time. It's crazy to think that so many people wished me well. That is the real value added by TLS, along with the firsthand accounts of life at different schools. In the end, the decision does come from you, but the support of TLS makes it easier, and I'm so glad we both had it. OP deserves the same.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:00 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:Dresden, my dear ENTJ, your thread was valuable because of all the love and support it brought out. People cared about your decision and your happiness... 50 pages worth. I still go back and read the thread Hoff made me from time to time. It's crazy to think that so many people wished me well. That is the real value added by TLS, along with the firsthand accounts of life at different schools. In the end, the decision does come from you, but the support of TLS makes it easier, and I'm so glad we both had it. OP deserves the same.
Oh, I never meant to imply my thread was without value. It was a great thread because it generated lots of useful information about relative strengths and placements of the two schools as well as more general thoughts re: academia. I wish I could've posted some of the many pms I received too; they were incredibly useful.

I'm just sayin', once the objective information had been sorted out, it was all up to me. People could help out with data and knowledge, but they couldn't tell me whether living apart from SO would be worth it. That I had to figure out on my own.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Hey! I'm an ENTJ!

...are we all?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:44 pm

INFP with a sister at Cornell. 3L, top 3rd, BigLaw, pays sticker, very happy.

The biggest issue in her class was the no-offers after 2L SA's, but that happened regardless of school (meaning it wasn't like firms were just offering HYSCCN and not hiring MVPBDCNGetc. after 2L summers). Her firm was spared and only no-offered one person.

OP, go to Cornell. Besides the cold, Ithaca isn't the end of the world, and my sister never complained about the studying nor was it a "cutthroat" atmosphere among her class.

ETA: she chose Cornell over Fordham $, the Boston Schools $, and USC $$.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cicely101

New

Post by cicely101 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:06 pm

You guys all rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: Thanks for all the helpful feedback; it's making my decision clearer although not easier!

Love,
c101

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:23 pm

I'm actually having a bit of a similar dilemma. I'm in at Cornell and Duke, but Fordham has offerred me a 25k year scholly with no strings attached. It's kind of tempting, with me being a lifelong New Yorker and all.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:00 pm

goodolgil wrote:I'm actually having a bit of a similar dilemma. I'm in at Cornell and Duke, but Fordham has offerred me a 25k year scholly with no strings attached. It's kind of tempting, with me being a lifelong New Yorker and all.
Go to Duke.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:09 pm

kurama20 wrote:
goodolgil wrote:I'm actually having a bit of a similar dilemma. I'm in at Cornell and Duke, but Fordham has offerred me a 25k year scholly with no strings attached. It's kind of tempting, with me being a lifelong New Yorker and all.
Go to Duke.
ITE and in your situation I'd totally choose Fordham.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:12 pm

Bankhead wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Go to Duke.
Unless you have specific goals elsewhere or in some particular field that would be difficult to break into, I agree with Fordham.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:07 am

You should go to

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:00 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Bankhead wrote:
kurama20 wrote:
Go to Duke.
Unless you have specific goals elsewhere or in some particular field that would be difficult to break into, I agree with Fordham.
Even with 25K/year they are in for 125K of debt. If the poster wants big law, Duke is the correct answer. OP would only need to be top 40% in their class instead of 15% at Fordham. I'd pay the extra 75K for that breathing room, especially when I hear people talk about law exams and the level of probability involved.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:01 pm

My cousin's 13. He wants to go to Duke Law.

For the sports. And because he already lives in the hick part of NC.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:12 pm

Can't believe a thread asking about Fordham and Cornell at full tuition is still going....

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:13 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Can't believe a thread asking about Fordham and Cornell at full tuition is still going....
We've moved on to discussing Duke v. them.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:21 pm

sibley wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:Can't believe a thread asking about Fordham and Cornell at full tuition is still going....
Oh......Duke then.

irishman86

Bronze

Post by irishman86 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm

sibley wrote:

I really, really like Cornell, and in the past I would have said Cornell over Duke because it has a bigger name out West, but I think ite Cornell has been hit particularly hard from what I've heard on TLS....so I'd go to Duke.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

saltoftheearth

Bronze

Post by saltoftheearth » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:42 pm

irishman86 wrote:
sibley wrote:

I really, really like Cornell, and in the past I would have said Cornell over Duke because it has a bigger name out West, but I think ite Cornell has been hit particularly hard from what I've heard on TLS....so I'd go to Duke.
sure

even with that hit, I assume that Cornell > Duke for NYC?

and it's all about lay-prestige, anyway...

mbw

Bronze

Post by mbw » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:08 am

irishman86 wrote:
sibley wrote:

[Edited by author to remove serial crankiness]
Last edited by mbw on Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:08 am

mbw wrote: Seriously? Dude, it's fucking TLS. Can you say 20-something-clueless echo-chamber? Using this place as your touchstone is...well...
It's still a hell of a lot better than a copy of U.S. News and hearsay from family. The loudest TLS echoes tend to come from NLJ placement surveys and refinements to that data (clerkship stats, academia stats, other rankings, etc.) which means that even if it's a slanted view of the choice / profession espoused by those who haven't entered it, it's hard to imagine a better source.

To add to the echoes: If you go to law school, it will take you 3 years. You will graduate, take an exam, and be an attorney until the day you die. A degree from Cornell will very likely get you more opportunities / $$$ for as many years as you care to leverage it. This isn't college, you're not sight seeing anymore: where you spend the next 3 years pales in comparison to what it will enable you to do for the next 3 decades. Clearly if you're deciding between, say, berkeley and UVA location may be the most important factor. Here, however, the reputation (read: employment prospects) difference between Cornell and Fordham, without any cost difference, would make it completely insane for the average person confronted with this decision to go to Fordham.
Last edited by thesealocust on Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KMaine

Silver

Post by KMaine » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:24 pm

Wow, MBW! You really need to get back in class.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”