Splitter: 3.1, 172 LSAT, URM Forum

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
Severynn

New

Splitter: 3.1, 172 LSAT, URM

Post by Severynn » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:48 pm

My dream school is NYU. I'm a Puerto Rican Female, do I have any chance at this or should I not bother? I'm applying next cycle so I could raise my GPA somewhat but probably not enough.

Some other factors: My first two years in school, I screwed around with my school work a lot. A year and a half ago my mother was murdered, (making me an orphan although I'm an adult), since then, I have received mostly A's and a couple B's in my classes. Will law schools care about this?

I also have four years work experience in law and was working around thirty hours a week during my first two years in UG.

I know about LSP but I don't know how accurate it is for splitters or URMs.

Any real help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.

MC Southstar

Silver

Re: Splitter: 3.1, 172 LSAT, URM

Post by MC Southstar » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:49 pm

I think you're in.

ridleyroses

New

Post by ridleyroses » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 pm

youre an autoadmit.

fenderjsm88

Bronze

Post by fenderjsm88 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:36 am

You are in at NYU. Don't even worry about it. You are IN.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:38 am

I put your odds at about 98% of getting IN.

Make sure you have a well-written PS/DS and you don't have any typos or errors in it. Oh, and that you have solid LORs. Unless you make some kind of mistake on your application you're almost certainly in.

That story, about your mom? That sounds like it's what triggered you to take your classes more seriously and definitely shows a change. If your GPA is that much better after that terrible event... definitely write a GPA addendum, at least, if you don't make it the subject of a DS. Point out that that happened and that you buckled down and did much better in your classes since then. That's an amazing story and it will only help you.

Also, I know this isn't what you asked about, but I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
Last edited by vanwinkle on Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:50 am

i recommend you start looking for places in the west villiage if you'd like to get a head start on finding something good. nyu's application is all but a formality for you

Severynn

New

Post by Severynn » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:20 pm

Thanks everyone for your help! I didn't think I had a shot, but now I will set my focus on NYU.

Thanks Vanwinkle for your condolences.

HJO

Bronze

Post by HJO » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:43 am

I would apply to H/Y/S/C but if you have your heart set on NYU by all means have a great time there. You're in.

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:46 am

You're getting into NYU, just apply as early as you can (like September) just to make sure. Good luck!

Oh yeah and almost forgot, LSP is almost totally useless for URMs. I know it was for me and many many other URMs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:51 am

Apply widely. Everyone is right that you will probably get into NYU with your numbers, background, story, grade trend, etc., but if you apply to all the T14 you will probably snag full tuition somewhere on the strength of your personal statement and diversity statement (not to mention I think it's clear you'll have a shot at HYS).

Severynn

New

Post by Severynn » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:55 pm

Thanks everyone for your help and encouragement.

I will be applying widely and I'm also going to apply to Columbia because I want to be in New York for law school.

I'm just so glad I have a shot at these schools.

laying20

New

Post by laying20 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:34 am

I also send my condolenses to you and your family, even though I'm sure your intentions on posting on TLS wasn't for people's sympathy.

What I'm curious to know is what makes her a dead lock on being admitted though? With a 3.1, 172 URM, your chances at T14 are pretty good but I didn't expect this many people to say your almost a given. LSN has people with better numbers either rejected or W/L, rejected. Is it her URM status, WE, or her tragic story that make her a great fit for NYU?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:10 am

laying20 wrote:I also send my condolenses to you and your family, even though I'm sure your intentions on posting on TLS wasn't for people's sympathy.

What I'm curious to know is what makes her a dead lock on being admitted though? With a 3.1, 172 URM, your chances at T14 are pretty good but I didn't expect this many people to say your almost a given. LSN has people with better numbers either rejected or W/L, rejected. Is it her URM status, WE, or her tragic story that make her a great fit for NYU?
IMO it's the combination of all those things. However, URM status is honestly the biggest thing (schools look a lot more closely at softs and are willing to overlook a low GPA or LSAT if necessary with URMs).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MorningHood

New

Post by MorningHood » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:08 am

god... for the first time in my life, i wish i were black. i'd get into harvard.

or mexican or puerto rican or some other Hopi Indian or whatever

laying20

New

Post by laying20 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:48 pm

MorningHood wrote:god... for the first time in my life, i wish i were black. i'd get into harvard.

**Yawnnn** Here we go again...

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:50 pm

MorningHood wrote:god... for the first time in my life, i wish i were black. i'd get into harvard.

Ran here.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:53 pm

In the words of Paul Mooney, "Everybody wanna be a ***** but don't nobody wanna be a *****."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:58 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:

In the words of Paul Mooney, "Everybody wanna be a ***** but don't nobody wanna be a *****."
lol

kurama20

Silver

Post by kurama20 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:11 pm

Actually guys because of the bolded I don't mind this post at all. This IS THE TRUTH about how a lot of people on here feel when it comes to admissions. At least Mornighhood was honest about it. She/he hasn't wanted to be black for even a second of their life, except for law school admissions purposes. Most people on here try to BS about this and claim that being a URM is no different at all and hence they don't see how it would be any different in terms of hardships to be a URM. This post implicitly hints that it would come with a lot of difficulties. As long as one acknowledges this I don't have a problem with the sentiment. Hell, I'll probably wish I was White when I first try to get a loan from the bank for a house.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “What are my chances?”