160 LSAT / 3.206 GPA

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
BriaTharen

160 LSAT / 3.206 GPA

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:28 pm

Hey guys! I did the LSP, but since I have a couple of extra factors that play into my app, I was wondering if you could tell me what you think my chances are!

LSAT: 160 (Sept 09)
GPA: 3.206
Major: Electrical Engineering (female engineering major)

What are my chances at:
+University of Alabama
+Albany Law School of Union University:
+Baylor University
+DePaul University
+Emory University
+University of Georgia
+University of Houston
+Louisiana State University
+Loyola University, NOLA
+Tulane University
+William & Mary University

Thanks!!
Last edited by BriaTharen on Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Satchmo

Re: 160 LSAT / 3.206 GPA

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:02 pm

What are the couple extra factors?

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:49 pm

Just the ones that I'm familiar with...

In at LSU & Loyola-NO. Probably out at Bama & UGA unless URM. WL at Tulane.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:58 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Hey guys! I did the LSP, but since I have a couple of extra factors that play into my app, I was wondering if you could tell me what you think my chances are!

LSAT: 160 (Sept 09)
GPA: 3.206
Major: Electrical Engineering (female engineering major)

What are my chances at:
+University of Alabama
+Albany Law School of Union University:
+Baylor University
+DePaul University
+Emory University
+University of Georgia, Atlanta
+University of Houston
+Louisiana State University
+Loyola University, NOLA
+Tulane University
+William & Mary University

Thanks!!

Out at:
Emory
UGA
Tulane
William and Mary
Alabama

In at:
I'm thinking most of the others (I'm not sure about Houston and Baylor)

colemf

Postby colemf » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:10 pm

In at Baylor, out at Houston.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:10 pm

The couple of extra factors (outside of LSAT/GPA) is female engineer

tylt13

Postby tylt13 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:19 pm

I can't help you predict your cycle at all, but I am interested to hear if people think that being a female engineer provides any boost (since I am one too :o )

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:21 pm

tylt13 wrote:I can't help you predict your cycle at all, but I am interested to hear if people think that being a female engineer provides any boost (since I am one too :o )

Probably not enough to make a huge difference in admission i.e. You will still be out at Bama, UGA, etc.

Just my 2 cents, someone may know better than I.

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:25 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:The couple of extra factors (outside of LSAT/GPA) is female engineer

Those are not going to help you if that's what you are asking..

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:16 pm

hate to be the one who says this, but it has to be said. Retake. Needs to be done. With 5 more points you can start looking at like Davis, Arizona, Ohio State....

vendetta2

Postby vendetta2 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:54 pm

bump

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:55 pm

is retake an option?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:22 am

Not really. My studies to finish my degree are really intense for this semester, so I can't put in the level of studying I would think necessary to get a better score. I'm honestly happy with going to LSU, but I was curious if I could get into anywhere else.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:33 am

I'm sure you might have considered this, but maybe preparing for a retake could open up a lot more options for you...

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am

Urgh. I guess I should have the entire thread.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 am

Not really. My studies to finish my degree are really intense for this semester, so I can't put in the level of studying I would think necessary to get a better score. I'm honestly happy with going to LSU, but I was curious if I could get into anywhere else.

If you are finishing up college, why don't you take a gap year, work a little, study like crazy and then nail the LSAT? IMO, if you have a great GPA then you should retake even if you cannot prepare like crazy... but if you don't have the GPA to depend upon then retake w/ lots of prep becomes even more important.

lsatbdog

Postby lsatbdog » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:14 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Not really. My studies to finish my degree are really intense for this semester, so I can't put in the level of studying I would think necessary to get a better score. I'm honestly happy with going to LSU, but I was curious if I could get into anywhere else.

First, Being a female EE student is not going to do much of anything. It is not really a true soft and you should not expect it to provide you with a tangible benefit. It may make you more appealing than an English, Poli Sci, Gender Studies or even Econ major (just speculation) but don't expect much.

You should have no trouble getting into LSU (with the note that you should get your app in ASAP), and if you really are fine with going there, and judging by your school list it looks like you are a LA native, or at least want to stay in the SE, then you are fine for this cycle. I would say Houston, Baylor, and Loyola NO are all worth an application, possibly Tulane as well and maybe, and I mean maybe Georgia and even Bama too if you really like them. Other schools such as Emory and William and Mary probably aren't worth the fee, but stranger things have happened, so knock yourself out.

Don't worry too much about all the retake talk on two conditions; first that you don't want to go to one of the schools on your list MUCH more. Second, that you studied seriously for at least 3-4 weeks the first go around and can't realistically expect to do much (ie at least 2 but more like 3+) points with just a few weeks of studying for the December LSAT, since February is too late for this cycle. I wouldn't worry about holding off until next cycle just to upgrade a few points, as putting your life on hold is not all that fun, especially if it is only to get a score 1 point higher. If, however, you could get at least a 165+ by doing so, then there might be something to consider, since you are in a whole new range. If this is the case, then hold off.

Bottom line; If you are happy with LSU and can't realistically expect to do a fair amount better (4+ points) by waiting a year, apply now. If you can be 100% sure in doing that much better, wait; sucky as it may be, the financial aid and range of schools would be worth it. If not, get your apps out before the end of the semester, expect to go to LSU and to be rejected from your reaches.

EDIT: If you actually are a LA native, then LSU is going to be WAY cheaper then the rest of these schools. Provided you want to stay in LA, it is by far the best financial option at this point. Makes a retake even less appealing unless you are positive in doing a ton better (and this can be tough if you are somewhat prepared the first go around). People on here are talking about a retake to go to Arizona or OSU? I don't see a point in retaking just to upgrade from a school ranked 75th to out of state schools around 35-40, both are still regional, and you can have fun dropping 75K more at AZ.

JPJ

Postby JPJ » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:22 pm

colemf wrote:In at Baylor, out at Houston.

This doesn't make much sense.... she's in the middle 50% of Houston GPA and LSAT.

Theophilus

Postby Theophilus » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:51 pm

JPJ wrote:
colemf wrote:In at Baylor, out at Houston.

This doesn't make much sense.... she's in the middle 50% of Houston GPA and LSAT.

I'm 3.53, 158, with a master's. I don't expect to get into UH :(

I am hoping for the best, though!

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:46 am

Lsatbdog- what you said about my LSAT was dead on. I spent a lot of time and worked very hard prepping for the LSAT the first time around. While I am sure that I probably still could have practiced even more, I really don't think that if I did so and retook the test I would get a significantly better score. Maybe 2 points higher, but I'm really not sure about 5+. So, I really don't want to put my life on hold for a score that I don't fee is even 75% guaranteed. I guess I'm a little pessimistic :|

lsatbdog

Postby lsatbdog » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:29 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:Lsatbdog- what you said about my LSAT was dead on. I spent a lot of time and worked very hard prepping for the LSAT the first time around. While I am sure that I probably still could have practiced even more, I really don't think that if I did so and retook the test I would get a significantly better score. Maybe 2 points higher, but I'm really not sure about 5+. So, I really don't want to put my life on hold for a score that I don't fee is even 75% guaranteed. I guess I'm a little pessimistic :|

Don't worry too much about a 160. In the big scheme of things it's a decent score (its what I got as well, but I have a higher GPA to fall back on a bit and will hopefully be bringing the LSAT up a few points in December) and will get you in some decent schools. It's not as if though just studying again and then retaking is some guarantee of a higher score if you did some serious prep beforehand. Keep in mind that while this board is a useful tool, most of what is on here should be taken with a big grain of salt. A ton of what people post is either complete speculation that they come up with based on how they feel or imagine things work, often with little basis in fact or research, or second or third hand information. Most people on here, myself included are either planning to enter law school next year or are currently attending; they are hardly experts on these topics, but can be useful. LSU would be a good option if you are in state and aren't desperate to get out, since it is sooooo cheap (like 14K), so I don't see much point in retaking for that reason, especially if you don't feel you can do a bunch better, and I certainly wouldn't hold off a whole year if I were you. Things the really build a resume, such as Teach For America and the Peace Corps are just as difficult to get into as most law schools and are NOT for everyone and are a big commitment. I would say though that with a degree in EE I might seriously consider if you wouldn't rather just pursue that instead? The legal job market really is tough right now (as are most things), but if you really want to get into law, then go for it. In any case, best of luck.
Last edited by lsatbdog on Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:34 pm

I am presuming you wrote "University of Georgia, Atlanta" thinking that is what UGA stands for.

you do not deserve to go there even with a 180.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:44 pm

lawhawk wrote:I am presuming you wrote "University of Georgia, Atlanta" thinking that is what UGA stands for.

you do not deserve to go there even with a 180.

wow, you noticed an error so unimportant it is worthy of the golf clap. congratulations. you are the man.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:52 am

Since I think this board is way more effective when results are posted, this is how my cycle went (scholarship offers indicated by ($$)):

In:
+Albany Law School of Union University
+DePaul University ($$)
+Louisiana State University ($$)
+Loyola University, NO ($$)
+Tulane University
Out:
+University of Alabama
+Emory University
+University of Georgia
WL:
+University of Houston
+College of William and Mary

And STILL haven't heard anything from Baylor.

scuzle

Postby scuzle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Depaul is an lsat heavy school. You should be good.

Return to “What are my chances?”