3.6 / 163->171. ED at Chicago? Any shot at Boalt? Retake?

Not sure where your numbers will get you? Dying to know where you stand? Come have your palms read by your fellow posters!
worldtraveler

Re: 3.6 / 163->171. ED at Chicago? Any shot at Boalt? Retake?

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:52 pm

boilercat wrote:I'm realizing I really want Berkeley... Any tips? FWIW I have a significant upward trend (and degree gpa is more than .1 higher than LSDAS) and my parents were immigrants (diversity? i'm not hispanic or black, though)...

i'm rethinking Uchicago ED...

Also maybe going to get targeted recs for Berk and SLS

I don't see Berkeley working out for you. To get in with your numbers, you need to stand out in some way. Unless you're hiding something, it sounds as though the rest of your app is pretty average.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:58 pm

VoidSix wrote:In other words, put a lot of time in on your personal statement, write "Why Chicago?" or "Why NYU?" essays, and hope for the best.

I normally agree with most things VoidSix says, but I would not write a "Why Chicago" essay. It'd be similar to writing a "Why Harvard" I think, since Chicago specifically encourages you to fit everything into the 2-page PS on the website.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:26 pm

VoidSix wrote:I think Berkeley is about the last place that would accept you with a 3.6 after HYS, but if Berkeley is your first choice I definitely wouldn't ED Chicago. Write a GPA addendum, write a 4 page PS, and make sure your LORs are good, apply now (or soon) and you might have a shot. Berkeley says to apply in October, mid-November at the latest.

Yeah, I know it's not going to happen.

Is a GPA addendum really appropriate for someone who's probably going to graduate cum laude?

squelp

Postby squelp » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:37 pm

boilercat wrote:
VoidSix wrote:I think Berkeley is about the last place that would accept you with a 3.6 after HYS, but if Berkeley is your first choice I definitely wouldn't ED Chicago. Write a GPA addendum, write a 4 page PS, and make sure your LORs are good, apply now (or soon) and you might have a shot. Berkeley says to apply in October, mid-November at the latest.

Is a GPA addendum really appropriate for someone who's probably going to graduate cum laude?

You get cum laude for a 3.6? Lucky. Also, I find it amusing that you want Berkeley because I too have recently realized that I want Cal and I have pretty much the same stats as you. I guess we covet what we can't have.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:23 pm

If you have an upward trend and think there is an actual reason for a GPA addendum, do it. I know someone who got into HLS, YLS, and SLS with a cancel, 166, 177 with an LSAT addendum and a GPA addendum for a 3.8. So I don't think it will hurt you.

Also, at my university, you can graduate cum laude with a 3.3. It's more of a qualifier for your thesis, and a 3.3 isn't a "good" GPA by law school standards, so I think that's a non-issue.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:48 pm

squelp wrote:
boilercat wrote:

You get cum laude for a 3.6? Lucky. Also, I find it amusing that you want Berkeley because I too have recently realized that I want Cal and I have pretty much the same stats as you. I guess we covet what we can't have.

My degree GPA is a 3.7. Cum Laude is somewhere around that and only the top 15% get any sort of latin honors at this school.

Writing a GPA addendum seems strange to me since i'm in easily in the top fifth of my class in a tough major at a top school (and one of the schools that berk supposedly adjusts upwards). I don't know what I would say.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:31 pm

BUMP.

Ok, I have a question. Do I need to apply more safties?

I applied a little more than a week ago to HSCCNMVPDNC + UT-Austin and UCLA. I applied to Berk + USC around 3 weeks ago. I basically de facto EDed to Berkeley, told them I would withdraw everywhere else and enroll if I got in.

I'm starting to get really skeptical about my chances because of all the crazy shit that seems to be happening (see Mich and Berk threads). Could I strike out at H through Duke or am I just being very skeptical/nervous? FWIW I applied PT to Duke and I'm expecting to hear back within the next few days.

Time to shoot apps to GULC, Vandy, and WUSTL? The thing is, I'd probably go to USC over those three and everyone's telling me I'm auto-admit there. I'd also definitely prefer UCLA to GULC and Cornell, but I think I'm going to get WLed.

Any advice?

squelp

Postby squelp » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:12 pm

boilercat wrote:BUMP.

I applied a little more than a week ago to HSCCNMVPDNC + UT-Austin and UCLA. I applied to Berk + USC around 3 weeks ago. I basically de facto EDed to Berkeley, told them I would withdraw everywhere else and enroll if I got in.

I'm starting to get really skeptical about my chances because of all the crazy shit that seems to be happening (see Mich and Berk threads). Could I strike out at H through Duke or am I just being very skeptical/nervous? FWIW I applied PT to Duke and I'm expecting to hear back within the next few days.

Time to shoot apps to GULC, Vandy, and WUSTL? The thing is, I'd probably go to USC over those three and everyone's telling me I'm auto-admit there. I'd also definitely prefer UCLA to GULC and Cornell, but I think I'm going to get WLed.

Any advice?

I think you're definitely in at a few of the places where you applied. I have very similar stats to you and just got Chicago RD. I bet you'll get at least one of CCN, and most of MVPDNC.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 pm

Any advice?

If you are going to apply to GULC, Vandy and WUSTL just because you think you will be dinged at every single one of the schools you have already applied to, don't do it. You will end up getting into one of them.

Although you're right about this cycle being crazy. I've got a 3.5/171 and am getting absolutely creamed.

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 pm

squelp wrote:

Any advice?

I think you're definitely in at a few of the places where you applied. I have very similar stats to you and just got Chicago RD. I bet you'll get at least one of CCN, and most of MVPDNC.

Hmm if I get one of CCN I'll be more than satisfied. Did you do anything specific for Chicago? I just sent them my normal PS/DS/Addendum combo.

squelp

Postby squelp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 am

boilercat wrote:
squelp wrote:

Any advice?

Hmm if I get one of CCN I'll be more than satisfied. Did you do anything specific for Chicago? I just sent them my normal PS/DS/Addendum combo.

Nope, no DS or addendum, and I had a similar retake situation. My softs are mediocre too, I was WL at Penn.

Return to “What are my chances?”